PDA

View Full Version : Magpie Seen

Seabird
11-Jan-07, 22:42
Not a lot of peoples favourate bird.
But thought it worth a mention, due to their rarity this far North.
I know some were seen near Mey not to long ago and i know they appear at Melvech near the strathy bridge.
This is where i saw this lone bird this morning.
Colin

ginajade
11-Jan-07, 23:48
Saw a lone magpie, 2 years ago up the back of watten. Nobody believed me at the time, but it definately was. My grandad had a tame one and they were rife in Lancashire. Have never seen one since in Caithness.

r.rackstraw
11-Jan-07, 23:58
There has been a very small magpie population in Caithness for the last few years. They were resident at Rumster and Brubster/Shebster a year or so back. There has been one in the Dunnet area for the last few months.

Kenn
12-Jan-07, 13:34
Well folkis if you would like a few more I could oblige, they are almost as numerous as gulls down here!
Much maligned bird,I know they will rob the odd nest but for a member of the crow family they are some what better looking than most.
Hoodies watch it, the southerners are moving in and have got their dinner jackets on.

spurtle
12-Jan-07, 13:44
Saw a lone magpie, 2 years ago up the back of watten. Nobody believed me at the time, but it definately was. My grandad had a tame one and they were rife in Lancashire. Have never seen one since in Caithness.

I happen to know of at least three that were released in the County. They have not been a feature in my lifetime, which is sadly long enough - our small birds could do without them

bod1403
23-Jan-07, 00:57
My brother had a pet Magpie for 25 years down in Essex, he actually out lived my brother who died at 18. The bird was great could talk and swear!! He was blind for the last few years of his life but as long as food and drink was put in the same place he was ok. We all cried when he died and the R.S.P.B reckon he was the oldest on record.

Saveman
23-Jan-07, 12:55
I happen to know of at least three that were released in the County. They have not been a feature in my lifetime, which is sadly long enough - our small birds could do without them

Why were they released?

Angela
23-Jan-07, 13:34
Lots of magpies in Edinburgh & two regularly come into the garden, as do a pair of enormous wood pigeons. I'm sure it deters the small birds -haven't seen the robin or bluetits for a while. :( That might be down to the odd cat on the prowl though.

Not much of a range of small birds here anyway, which is sad. The garden's very quiet.

I lived in a Fife village for a time - no magpies (quite a few owls though!) & a great range of small birds which was a joy.

Then I moved just 2 miles away to a small Fife town, nothing like the variety of small birds, despite my efforts to encourage them....basically just flocks of starlings....!

Amazing

Angela
23-Jan-07, 13:39
Amazing the difference two miles can make...
As I meant to say!

Sorry, I realise this was off-topic, not Caithness ornithology! Apologies. :(

catherine nicol
25-Jan-07, 22:55
Amazing the difference two miles can make...
As I meant to say!

Sorry, I realise this was off-topic, not Caithness ornithology! Apologies. :(

Dinna worry, it is good to know how other areas are faring with our feathered friends too.

spurtle
26-Jan-07, 16:21
Why were they released?

Someone had them as captive birds, from elsewhere, and could not cope with them any more - about 6 yrs ago