PDA

View Full Version : Justice system in the UK

Keyser_soze
04-Apr-13, 11:32
How bad is it now ? A man impersonating a Lawyer last week got sent down for 14 years , & today a man , his wife & their lover who killed 6 kids , get 17 years & could be out in 8 !!!

I think someone needs to have a big uphaul of the system, that is shocking

sids
04-Apr-13, 12:28
Do you mean this guy, who got 18 months?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-17509194

The guy who killed his kids got a life sentence.

neilsermk1
04-Apr-13, 12:47
There is no justice.
Bring back the rope

equusdriving
04-Apr-13, 13:30
it amazes me how punishments are so out of touch with the actual cost of the crime to the taxpayer, ie police and court costs etc
t

Keyser_soze
04-Apr-13, 14:03
No, I mean giovanni di Stefano who got 14 years

Life sentence ? 17 years and out in 8 possibly ?? thats not a life sentence, 25-30 years is a life sentence.

Life should mean life. Well done to the labour party who changed the rules, made a mockery of the justice system so evil people like the philpots can get out to kill someone else in a few years time

M Swanson
04-Apr-13, 14:06
Yet, again the British judiciary fail the victims of horrendous crimes. Philpott will only serve 15 years for murdering six of his children. That sets the value of each of these poor little souls lives at less than three years each. The complicit mother fairs even better. She will serve 17 years and as the Judge didn't set a tariff, will be out in 8 years, for good behaviour! It's sick, imo and if we can't do more to protect and give justice to our most vulnerable in society, then we forfeit the right to consider ourselves as 'civilised.' What will it take for the People to rise up against such barbaric acts and risible justice? Sadly, darned if I know!

M Swanson
04-Apr-13, 14:08
Life should mean life. Well done to the labour party who changed the rules, made a mockery of the justice system so evil people like the philpots can get out to kill someone else in a few years time

How very true Keyser.

Repped

cptdodger
04-Apr-13, 16:21
Unless I am mistaken, In England and Wales (no idea about Scotland) in some exceptionally grave cases, a judge may order that a life sentence should mean life by making a "whole life order." As far as I know, that is still an option for judges. However in this persons case, (I would be banned from here, if I wrote what I thought about him and the other two) he was, for some reason not charged with six counts of murder, it was classed as manslaughter, as in - oops I did'nt mean to kill them. So, manslaughter carries a lesser sentence than murder.

Is it right ? no it most certainly is not, I would say they all should rot in jail for evermore, however, because of "human rights", they will have three meals daily, television, the best medical care going and so on. Rot? I hardly think so.

sids
04-Apr-13, 17:29
No, I mean giovanni di Stefano who got 14 years

Life sentence ? 17 years and out in 8 possibly ?? thats not a life sentence, 25-30 years is a life sentence.

Apparently his (at least) fifth conviction, been jailed before and guilty of 27 charges. People like that do get a long sentence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Di_Stefano_(fraudster)

gerry4
04-Apr-13, 19:22
can I just point out there is no such thing as the British justice system. What you are criticising is the English judicial system. Scotland has a different one and different sentencing guidelines. I don't know if they are better, worse or the same. N. Ireland also has its own too.