PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers?

rfr10
11-Jan-07, 20:24
"Teenagers" In your view do you think teenagers have a Bad reputation for or good reputation for themselves? Do you think newspapers point out too much of the bad things about teenagers? Do you think newspapers should be showing a positive attitude towards teenagers other than a negative one? Is it because of the bad reputation that teenagers get puplicised in newspapers that is turining them into criminals when they are older because of the puplicity they get thinking " Ohhh that's all I have to do to get my name in the paper"

Any comments will be appreciated

rfr10
11-Jan-07, 20:52
It would be nice to have some comments please :D

Alice in Blunderland
11-Jan-07, 20:58
Its like all walks of society the minority spoil it for the majority. Often people become focussed on the problematic teenagers even resources are directed more towards this group which does seem unfair to the ones who are not drawing attention to themselves for all the wrong reasons. :)

Just my humble oppinion as a mother of a couple of teenagers and a few more little ones heading that way. ;)

cuddlepop
11-Jan-07, 21:12
Like anyother group of people there's good and bad.Its just the bad that tend to get the publicity and make it worse for them all.:eek:

j4bberw0ck
11-Jan-07, 21:14
There's some truth in the saying "Youth is wasted on the young" :lol::lol:

Most of them are just fine. Desperate to appear grown up and not quite knowing how to carry it off. Some need a good slap.

oldmarine
11-Jan-07, 23:10
Perhaps I am predjudiced but my daughters were excellent children as teenagers and their children are coming along showing the same characteristics.

Kenn
11-Jan-07, 23:34
I find the majority of teenagers to be little different when I was the same age. Most of them are simply trying do make the best of life and have a little fun along the way.
What does concern me is the pressure put on them from all directions, they are bombarded with images that suggest they should be adults even in their early teens.
They face test after test at school to the detriment of their education and exam results seem to be paramount.Common sense and education for life are far more important that academic qualifications.
I also feel that in some cases parents are close to paranoia with regard to the safety of their offspring. They protect their children to ridiculous extremes by not allowing them to walk,get the bus to school.take part in outdoor pursuits, sports and generally let off steam as they should.
Surely when we put so much pressure on them, those who struggle to cope with the rigours of a standard education and cannot make the grade are going to feel alienated ,frustrated and under valued. Little wonder then that they take to other activities in an effort to impress.
Can we adults honestly say that we never transgressed,never got up to mischief or stepped the wrong side of the law?
It's tough being a teenager!

rfr10
11-Jan-07, 23:39
Thanks for all the responses! Keep them coming please.

EDDIE
12-Jan-07, 00:01
I think teenagers will be teenagers and if they didnt act like teenagers i would be really worried about them

RIR
12-Jan-07, 01:14
As an ex police officer, I can state that teenagers' behaviour, in general, has grossly worsened. That is nothing, of course, to do with the teenagers, it is (mostly) the fault of the parents. "Here's twenty quid, get lost for the night, we're going to the pub/bingo/anywhere except where you are; and when you do get home, get upsatairs on your Play Station."

My opinion, (so no flames please) as a "seen it all"; there are exceptions, I know.

But there again, perhaps I'm a bit cynical.

Cheers

Ian.

Jeemag_USA
12-Jan-07, 01:20
Teenagers are no different now than they were 50 years ago, to be honest I think they are a little tamer now to when I was a teenager. My son is 15 years old, and I have already found myself chastising him for getting caught for smoking, drinking and all the rest, Its funny though, everything I tell him off for, I did it at least two or three years before he did and got into a heck of a lot more trouble :lol:

People have been downtrodding teenagers way back into the early days of devil music if you wish, boogie woogie, rock and roll whatever the bible thumpers would call it, and nothing ever changes, most people on reflection will remember they were getting up to daft stuff at that age too. ;)

And so it goes on, remember, they'll grow out of it so you only have to pull your hair out for a few years, and you have to admit sometimes as a parent you have to feel like a hypocrite (not speaking or everyone).

goldenguernsey
12-Jan-07, 01:28
Have any of us thought about what it is like in this day and age to "be" a teenager?, it must be tough to say the least. A teenager is a real,young person trying their best to fit in and be what everybody expects them to be, whilst at the same time striving for individuality and recognition of their achievements, which for the most part, seem to them to go unnoticed. This is one of the most difficult times of their lives when changes (hormones etc)are occuring without their consent or co operation and sometimes they feel as if the whole world is against them. It must be a terrific struggle for them to "keep it together" and appear OK when all this is going on.
If you are the parent of a teenager right now, please give them your respect and room to grow into the well rounded balanced individuals you hope they will become.

RIR
12-Jan-07, 01:28
Drugs+Teenagers and early twenties account for the majority of crimes commited in the UK. Either direct use, or the means to obtain them. The latest fad being Sat Navs, to the extent that people are being warned to wipe off the suction marks of the holders, in case the thieves think that the devices are "hidden" in the glove compartment.

Cheers

Ian.

RIR
12-Jan-07, 01:35
Excellent reply, GoldenGuernsey. I agree wholeheartedly.

I have an eleven year old granddaughter that lives with us. Very well behaved and articulate. Can't imagine where she got it from.......!

Time will tell.

Cheers

Ian.

Mister Squiggle
12-Jan-07, 12:12
Having taught a lot of teenagers, I think they are, by and large, fantastic. You get the odd one who is really difficult and seems to hate the world, but I often think I was probably much the same at that age anyway. Most of them are happy to talk to you, are hoping for the best out of life and are trying to fathom out how and where they fit in.
Teenagers need both guidance and respect from the adults around them. The real problem cases I see are the instances when teenagers are not given any guidance and are forced aside by parents and adults who are (perhaps without even realising it) too consumed by their own interests and difficulties to recognise the needs of the child. As a far-from-perfect Mum myself (as if such a thing exists) I know how hard it is to keep a family on track, but young people just blossom when they are listened to and given lots of time and love.
With the proper support and role models, I've seen some pretty bad eggs grow into fantastic people. As the song goes, "The kids are alright!"

JimH
12-Jan-07, 15:37
They are infact, a good source of ideas, and providing that they have been taught self respect, then they will respect others. with respect comes the knowledge that will help them to fit into society, but still remain individuals.

Remember the old saying "employ a tennager while they still know it all"

There is good in everybody - and the best way to remove a "Chip on the shoulder" is to pat it off.

Saveman
12-Jan-07, 20:08
I blame the parents

pjyemail
12-Jan-07, 20:13
teenagers need something to do all the time, if they have nothing to do thats when they play up and get into trouble the more things which is open to them will reduce there boredom and hencs trouble they get into. can be the parents if there are not bothered with there kids.

Fluff
12-Jan-07, 20:50
i find most teenagers to be ok. try are still working out who they are and what they like and want in life.

i find it is adults who are worse. most adults i come across now are rude and lazy (although defintly not all)
the *london suits* are the worst, i really dislike these people! i wont get started lol

golach
12-Jan-07, 20:50
I blame the parents
I blame the Grand Parents, if we had been stricter with our brats, maybe the little darlings would have respect today, teenagers below the age of 15 are children, not adults as some of them would like us to believe.
I have always said spare the rod and spoil the child.

rfr10
12-Jan-07, 21:12
OK, what about the newspapers though? Do they publicise more of the bad about teenagers than the good?

abalone
12-Jan-07, 21:48
Because we live in a more "knowing"society it's assumed teenagers know more than they actually do.They may know more intellectually but nothing about life,this can only be learned by living.Why be surprised when teenagers still do silly things?it's part of growing up and parents should be there to catch them and hopefully stop them doing it again.Speaking as a parent and Grandparent I know you can't always tell how your children will turn out and even with the best of parents when children become adults they will go their own way.regardless of it being right or wrong.

Ricco
12-Jan-07, 21:50
I think that generally teenagers have a neutral reputation. Locally we have a gang of about 20-30 teenagers who have a bad reputation but this is a very small fraction of the total teenage population. Also, many of these troublesome teens are 'bussed' in by their parents from elsewhere. So, the problematic teens are very much in the minority. The difficulty lies in that the 'good' teenagers get so little public exposure that they all end up tarred with the same brush. ;)

ginajade
13-Jan-07, 13:16
It is society that has changed. Respect for others in all areas has dwindled. I'm not saying the old days were perfect, they weren't. Many people in authority abused their power, but nowadays it is common place to see pupils disrespect their teachers. There is no fear of the headmaster. Employees may refuse an order from the boss and an old person on the bus may be expected to stand as men women and children sit, never thinking to offer their seat.
As a child, if we did something wrong there was a consequence. If a neighbour caught you, you would get into trouble from them and then again when they told your family. On the other side of that coin, neighbours would also look out for each other and especially each others kids. Now people are frightened to get involved, or the chances are you might not know your neighbour, let alone trust them, as you just don't know who the council has put in your area these days. And the judicial system. Where are the consequences in that. A drunken ex breaks your window, the victim has to fork out for a new one, Mr Bloggs up for violent assault, has soooooo many previous convictions ( then why is he out still terrorising folks!). The examples are endless.
I have and I know, many great teenagers, but the pressures on them are great, to conform with this society that now live in. So don't blame teenagers, blame this mad system, that I can only see as getting madder.

danc1ngwitch
13-Jan-07, 21:48
I blame the parents

Blame! Blame! Blame!.... points finger>>>Yep lets just Blame.... ok some one tell me to shut up ... walks around yep then I'll Blame u for no havin ma say[lol]

Whitewater
14-Jan-07, 13:52
Teenagers are no worse today than they were in my day. (that was way beyond yesterday). From my own experience as a retired youth leader, I must say that it has always been good, they were all full of fun and up for anything for a laugh, but they were always responsible with it. Many of the teenagers I have worked with have gone on to be doctors, lawers, graduate engineers etc., and the not so bright have all managed to obtain good responsible employment. It is always a pleasure to meet and talk with them on the street or wherever I bump into them.

However, I think that the bad ones today are a bit worse, simply because they know exactly what they can and cannot get away with. There is no deterrent now, the Childrens Panel is useless "be a good little boy or girl, and do not do it again". The teachers of today have no deterrent, they are not shown respect by many of the children simply because the children in question are not taught respect by their elders at home, they do not know what respect is.

When and my friends and I were teenagers, we always pushed the limits, but we seemed to know how far we could go. If the police had to come to the door to talk to my parents, I knew I was going to have a few good smacks on my bum before the end of the day. The belt from the teacher or a smack from my dad done me far more good than harm. In fact when my friends and I were pupils in Miller Academy we all got our fair share of the belt, but we really used to be ashamed of ourselves if we got it from certain teachers, we knew then when had gone over the score.

I don't think I would like to be a teenager today, there is a lot of pressure coming from all areas, but having said that my grandsons are coming to stay next weekend, they have hardly any spare time with cubs, beavers, football, rugby, badmington, squash, music lessons, etc, etc. The eldest has already given me my instructions as to where I have to take them and the times they have to be there. There is tons to do in both Wick and Thurso if they want to do it, and more importantly, if their parents encourage and guide them to it.