PDA

View Full Version : Bain/Bremner

marionq
11-Jan-07, 15:26
In 1804 John Brimner married Katherine Bain and they later had 4 children Alexander 1805, Janet 1806, Donald 1807 and John 1809.

Katherine and the younger 3 children disappear from view but John Brimner appears to have married Henrietta Sinclair and I am descended from his first son Alexander. Using the naming patterns consistent with the times I have looked for Katherine's parents as Donald Bain married to a Janet - and I have found the following possibilities:

Donald Bain married Janet/Jennet Sinclair in Wick in 1770
Donald Bain married Janet Sutherland in Wick in 1775
Donald Bain married Janet McLeod in Watten in 1779

Any of these would fit the naming patterns and give enough time for Katherine to be born and marry in 1804 - other Donald/Janet combinations are too late to fit.

Has anyone researched any of the above and is there a Katherine/Catherine amongst their children?

Thanks in advance, Marion

stiggy
27-Feb-07, 22:48
Have you tried this site for researching Bremners

http://www.brebner.com/

We found it very useful.

marionq
11-Mar-07, 15:58
Yes thanks, Stiggy. I agree. My ancestors on the Bremner line are quite clear but the relationship with Catherine Bain needs some stronger proof.

Marion

Robbie
24-Nov-07, 20:41
Hi marionq, I too am descended from the same Alexander as you. When I say decended, I mean 3 times removed on the maternal side, but hey, still kinda counts? My decendancy is John's son Alexander, Alexanders son John, who married Anne Donaldson, they had a daughter Elizabeth, who married my GG Grandad George Calder. They had a daughter Annie Bella, we called Annabella, who in turn had a daughter Annabella, who had me mum who had me, and now I have a daughter, who's called 'bella', after all the 'bellas' in my family.

Aaaanyway, about your Katharine Bain, I'm stuck on the exact same thing, and even her Husband John, can't find anything further on from him. If you've solved this puzzle, could you please let me know? If not, I'll just have to carry on banging my head against scotlandspeople's wall!

Isabel Griggs
26-Nov-07, 08:33
Hi, I have a Isabella BAIN that I am researching her birth date abt;1801 she married a David SMITH on the 14th Sept 1826 in Canisbay. Her mother was a Janet BAIN b:abt 1756 I don't know who her father was.
Isabel, Australia.:roll:

marionq
26-Nov-07, 14:53
Robbie and Isobel I do have some more information but I am not in my own house at the moment so don't have access to my files. I obtained the marriage cert of John and his second wife and was sent details of John and Catherine's marriage by another member of this site and I think we can safely say they are of the same John.

When I get home I'll dig out the details and send you them either through the site or if you want to send me your email address through a private message .

Marion

Robbie
26-Nov-07, 15:04
Hiya Marion, thanks in advance for your help. I'll PM my e-mail address.

Rob

Isabel Griggs
26-Nov-07, 22:52
Thanks, If you have any info on Isabella Bain that would be great, I will send you my email.
Regards Isabel, Australia:roll:

Tricia
27-Nov-07, 12:48
Hi Marion
If you can post any of the data here as well as your private messages!! - you never know some of us may find links to yours and be able to solve another twig.

Tricia

marionq
29-Nov-07, 11:31
To go back to when I first posted the message. My concerns were to confirm the information I had then and since I have added to but some is educated guessing and if I had other connections that would help to harden up the details.

Here goes:

John Brimner/Bremner was born in 1774 and married Catherine Bain of Papigoe in 1804. They had 4 children Alexander 1805, Janet 1805, Donald 1807 and John 1809. (Wedding witnesses James Bremner and Donald Bain)

Catherine and the 3 younger children disappear and John then marries Henrietta Sinclair in Sarclet in 1812 and goes on to have another family. This is all covered by birth and marriage registrations. (Wedding witnesses Alexander Bremner and Francis Sinclair).

I think that Donald Bain and Janet Sinclair are the parents of Catherine because the naming pattern fits, they married in 1770 in the Wick district and the Sinclair name links with his second wife which may well be an in-family arrangement for the young widower with one child. If someone else had Donald and Janet as ancestors then it might be easier to prove this, first of all by where they lived and what children they had.

There is no official birth certificate for Catherine Bain around that time and the only one of that name on scotlandspeople is for a girl in Ross and Cromarty which I would dismiss because the names don't fit with MY Catherine's children and people on the whole did follow those patterns carefully right up to my grandparents time.

Robert and I have exchanged some certs. We could do with a website for Bains like the Bremner one but in the meantime the www.cursiter.com is pretty good for finding people who moved between Caithness and Orkney.

Marion

marionq
29-Nov-07, 11:45
Isabel, I may be completely wrong but on the 1841 Freecen census there is a Bell Smith aged 40 with her family and a Janet Bain aged 85, Pauper living with them. Those ages and names fit. They are in Lybster if you want to call the page up and take a look.

Marion

Isabel Griggs
29-Nov-07, 21:26
Thanks Marion, I checked and I have found the 1841 census
Appreciate your help
Isabel