PDA

View Full Version : Gale force winds

Fran
11-Jan-07, 00:36
Is anyone else frightened by the strong winds tonight or is it just me. things are flying about outside and it sounds like the roof is shaking. I'm too scared to go upstairs to bed!!

tilly
11-Jan-07, 01:27
I know the feeling well, I hate it when the weather is like this, can never sleep when its this windy. All the animals hate it too. Hopefully it will die down soon!

JAWS
11-Jan-07, 04:12
Fasten the doors, close the curtains and turn up the volume! After that, pretend it's not happening! ;)

paris
11-Jan-07, 09:38
Its been really bad down here in lincs over night and still very windy and raining now. jan x

painter
11-Jan-07, 09:43
Its been really bad down here in lincs over night and still very windy and raining now. jan x
Same here in Manchester

henry20
11-Jan-07, 09:55
We just got a new roof put on and one of the sheets rattles in the wind - waiting for the weather to calm down a bit so that more fixings can be put in, but it was the sofa for me & the dog last night as I got a better sleep.

Wish
11-Jan-07, 14:59
Having only lived on Skye for a couple of months and not really experienced winds this strong before I am papping it! About an hour ago I hear an almighty roar through the house, then crash, bang and wallop! Looked out the window to find bits of my roof fly through the air:eek:

I daren't go upstairs at the moment, it really is bad here (by my standards anyway) not sure if the locals would say this is really bad, but to me it is!

Hope everyone stays safe x

bobsgirl
11-Jan-07, 15:19
Not too bothered about the wind as long as kids sleep through it. Dont like their sleep interrupted.
The only thing that worries me is the trampoline in the back garden, hubby says it is ok as it is quite sheltered but I hate seeing the cover being blown about. Makes me think it is going to go on a trip!!!

Hope everyone keeps safe, hope the kids dont get blown about too much coming home from school. I am going to go down early so that my one doesnt get blown about too much!

cuddlepop
11-Jan-07, 15:43
It is worse than usual Wish.
The last time we ahd winds this strong was the build up ti the January gales on the 11th,which was two years ago:eek:
High School phoned there closing early so must be expecting it to get worse.
At least its not raining:lol:

MISS K
11-Jan-07, 15:46
Our trampoline took off, and ended up in our neighbours garden 2 down from us in the last stormy spell!!!!!!!!!! thankfully no-one got hurt but it could have caused a lot more damage, torn down a couple of fences, so my advice to any one with a trampoline, is tie it down or dismantle it, when it gets stormy (ours is dismantled) just as well, look at today;)

Mister Squiggle
11-Jan-07, 16:22
Blimey, we just got blown home from school!
According to Tugmistress' website, the wind is over 60 miles an hour - batten down the hatches!

kas
11-Jan-07, 16:37
Blimey, we just got blown home from school!
According to Tugmistress' website, the wind is over 60 miles an hour - batten down the hatches!

and a gust of 81.3mph at 3pm.

BMcGillivray
11-Jan-07, 16:55
Just noticed the floodlights at the Naver pitch are swaying back and forth...

Would be interesting to know how the wind turbines are doing?

changilass
11-Jan-07, 17:06
Keep getting power dips, have the candles close by just in case:~(

Tugmistress
11-Jan-07, 17:11
and a gust of 81.3mph at 3pm.
and 88mph at 3.33pm :D

Saveman
11-Jan-07, 17:14
Is this going to continue this evening Tugmistress? Or is it gonna calm down?

Tugmistress
11-Jan-07, 17:16
it'll calm down in a while, but not for long, we are due for nearly a repeat performance tomorrow :roll: though i don't think it will be this bad thankfully, going to have to inspect my roof tomorrow in daylight because i sure as hek ain't going out again tonight in this up this hill!

Saveman
11-Jan-07, 17:23
OK thanks. Isn't anything over 80mph classed as hurricane force?

Skerries
11-Jan-07, 17:25
It's pretty horrendous here on the Causewaymire at the moment. I can't see the wind turbines but the neighbour's bin and trellis just flew past the window. I don't think I'll bother going out this evening after all, don't fancy being hit by a wheelie bin!;)

Tugmistress
11-Jan-07, 17:29
OK thanks. Isn't anything over 80mph classed as hurricane force?

A wind with a speed greater than 74 miles is hurricane force if you use the beaufort scale :D

Rheghead
11-Jan-07, 17:40
Does anyone else also think it is spooky that we have had these sort of winds at exactly the same time of year 3 years on the trot?

laguna2
11-Jan-07, 17:42
Does anyone else also think it is spooky that we have had these sort of winds at exactly the same time of year 3 years on the trot?

Certainly is. It used to be snow that came at the same time every year - now the gales instead. Wonder if snow will follow? Global warming gone mad perhaps?

cuddlepop
11-Jan-07, 17:49
The snow's followed in the past.What do you think Tuggy?:D

badger
11-Jan-07, 17:51
It's certainly pretty scary. Feel sorry for people living in mobile homes, hope they're well tied down. Often wish my old house was less draughty but this weather having a stone tiled roof and really thick walls is quite reassuring even on my windy hilltop. Presumably all wind turbines are firmly shut down :roll:

changilass
11-Jan-07, 17:56
Any idea what its gonna be like on Sat and Sun Tuggs?? We are heading down to inverness.

Wish
11-Jan-07, 18:02
Jackie, do your lights keep dipping up n down?

Its not as windy here now thankfully, i' just deciding whether I should brave it and take the little one to dance class or no:confused

Tugmistress
11-Jan-07, 18:02
not a hope for snow just yet, atlantic too active as we can tell ;)
more of the same tomorrow, possibly tuesday too, though a bit early to tell for sure yet on that one.
sat and sun will be ok changi :) sat being the better of the two days up here, though i wont say the same for inverness area as i don't know the little quirks every area has for its own weather.

bobsgirl
11-Jan-07, 18:03
My friends are off down to St Andrews tonight, hopefully it will be a safe journey for them. Not too keen on going outside but so far our trampoline is still holding up, sorry to hear about your trampoline flying off heidi!!!

Kenn
11-Jan-07, 18:22
If it's any consolation folks it's blowing a hooley on the south coast too.
Centre of Hove gusts recorded in excess of 70mph midday.

highlander
11-Jan-07, 18:25
Found this site today, can explain a lot about weather
http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/research/windstorms.php

horse
11-Jan-07, 18:33
Would be interesting to know how the wind turbines are doing?

Windmills on the causemier are turning very slowly

Saveman
11-Jan-07, 18:40
Windmills on the causemier are turning very slowly

Yeah, it needs a gentle breeze to really get them going....:eyes ;)

stratman
11-Jan-07, 19:01
My green house is much better ventilated thatn it was this morning. Bother!!!

cuddlepop
11-Jan-07, 19:23
Winds seem to have dropped but the power is still flickering.
Very unusual for the power to go off for any length of time.Make sure you've got alternative cooking supply handy and torches.
We're all electric so keep meaning to get a wee gas stove as the house which is all electric loses heat quickly.:eek:

Stumurf
11-Jan-07, 19:29
thanks for the updates tugmistress, its really nice to have your own weather forecaster.. :D

Hope everyone survives the night ok, its insane, here in scotscalder at the moment. our roof tiles sound like piano keys.

Saw a few close calls today in wick, one was a runaway cardboard bin, it must have hit about 15mph as it came careering round the corner from whatever is on the opposite end of Homebase, but thankfully as it came down the ramp, no cars were present and it veered onto lidl carpark and smashed into the kurb to a standstill, it could have been a very different story if it had careered into the main road.
Others were fly by wheelie bins on the outskirts of the town centre, they aren't the easiest things to dodge.

fred
11-Jan-07, 19:38
Yeah, it needs a gentle breeze to really get them going....:eyes ;)

"In Wick I have never heard any one greet his neighbour with the
usual 'Fine day' or 'Good morning.' Both come shaking their heads,
and both say, 'Breezy, breezy!' And such is the atrocious quality
of the climate, that the remark is almost invariably justified by
the fact."

Robert Louis Stevenson 1878

veekay
11-Jan-07, 20:24
Well at least it isn't snowing.

Liz
11-Jan-07, 20:37
I really hate the strong winds! Our electricity went off for about half an hour today. Really hoping it doesn't go off again.

Have seen a few flying Christmas trees!!!!!:eek:

Alice in Blunderland
11-Jan-07, 20:47
Our wheelie bins were emptied this morning so they had no weight in them to stop them being battered around. A few of them went walkies in the wind. :eek:

peedie man
11-Jan-07, 21:29
something to look forward to...
FRIDAY 19th – SUNDAY 21st: By Friday there is the risk of strong N’ly winds bringing much colder Arctic air and the likelihood of significant snowfall – even at low levels - south across the Northern Isles

Seabird
11-Jan-07, 21:31
I hope yer roofs staying on Paula.
90.7 mph you've recorded on yer hill and that was more than a gust.
(7.42pm)
I had a driver pop in to my work this evening to tell us our 4 wheeled skip was travelling down the road without lights.
It had travelled 150meters.
Not safe to be out tonight.

Colin

cuddlepop
11-Jan-07, 21:33
Its got awful quiet over here,perhapse its blown itself out.:lol:

Errogie
11-Jan-07, 23:42
Here on south Loch Ness roads are already littered with bits of branches and tomorrow is likely to reveal more trees upended and some of these will no doubt block the Pass of Inverfaragaig road yet again for the 7th. or 8th. time since early November.

Things don't look good for the launch of the Highland Festival in Inverness tomorrow evening. Hope they can get a weather window for a few hours.

ywindythesecond
12-Jan-07, 00:27
[quote=fred;180695]"In Wick I have never heard any one greet his neighbour with the
usual 'Fine day' or 'Good morning.' Both come shaking their heads,
and both say, 'Breezy, breezy!' And such is the atrocious quality
of the climate, that the remark is almost invariably justified by
the fact."

Robert Louis Stevenson 1878[/quote

Brilliant Fred, where does it come from.

Fran
12-Jan-07, 02:00
My garden fences blew down, the bench blew to another part of the garden, my strong bird table flew to the corner of the garden and my wheelie bin was found in another street. My neighbours shed is in bits and we had difficulty getting into our cars. what a day. See they had problems at Tesco too. Part of the filling station was closed off as a safety precaution because of the roof, and in the store the windows were shaking. Very scary.

Now I need to find someone who does fencing repairs!??

fred
12-Jan-07, 11:13
Brilliant Fred, where does it come from.

It is from a letter (http://www.infomotions.com/etexts/literature/english/1800-1899/stevenson-letters-642.xml) he wrote to his mother.

Tugmistress
12-Jan-07, 11:54
The wind is cranking up again, I don't think we'll get a gust of 90 again like last night, but it is going to be wild again probably to about 60mph this time, go chase those empty wheelie bins and weight them down now lol
the next lot of wind i can see coming is monday morning/lunch and *may* be a brief possibility of sleet/snow on tuesday for a couple of hours but nothing to get excited about i'm afraid.

topotheuk
12-Jan-07, 15:56
Now I need to find someone who does fencing repairs!??

Fran, have sent you a pm with details of fencer.

Norrie Wilson 07835 430144. Cheers

Cinders392
12-Jan-07, 20:40
Well I got home yesterday and there was no trampoline in my garden! So much for the £30 paid out on the tie down kit! It was in the next door neighbours garden proped up against his car!!!!
So luck there was no more damage just 2 scratches which will cost a pretty penny for us to get fixed for him.

katarina
12-Jan-07, 22:16
Is anyone else frightened by the strong winds tonight or is it just me. things are flying about outside and it sounds like the roof is shaking. I'm too scared to go upstairs to bed!!

I hate it! AND when I was driving up Louisburgh St yeaterday, my car was hit by a flying christmas tree! Good job there wasn't anything else on the road as I momentarily lost control.

cuddlepop
12-Jan-07, 23:10
This weather is so strange.On Wednesdaywe were over in Glenbrittle and the dog was playing in the snow.Lastnight the wind dropped and the stars came out,looked like it was going to be frosty.This morning it was wet and very windy :eek: The weather doesn't even last 24hrs and it changes.
It was so mild today the dog wanted to play with the waves over at Glenbrittle.two days ago it was snow.:confused

North Rhins
12-Jan-07, 23:19
We’ve had some very fierce winds down here in the southwest these past few days. It was so bad today that one of the Border Terriers got blown inside out, it looks like a rubber glove.

sweetpea
13-Jan-07, 01:00
I'm just recovering from it all. I came home yesterday to find one of my hutches was blown away and the bunnies were gone. Thank goodness they didn't go far one was at the top of the garden under a bush, the other behind neoghbours garage. Phew! Had to catch them. I dread to think what might have happened and I'm wondering how long they were out there for?

Saxo01
13-Jan-07, 01:13
Sorry but i cant believe what im reading you are in the far north of scotland we get wind during the winter months trampolines etc not a good idea this time of year

Bingobabe
13-Jan-07, 10:58

Newsflash: Erm its January Rheghead, We always get gales in January , always have always will:roll: Its the winter season for cryin out loud. Were you expecting Sunshine & 25`degrees?[lol]

Oddquine
13-Jan-07, 20:57
Newsflash: Erm its January Rheghead, We always get gales in January , always have always will Its the winter season for cryin out loud. Were you expecting Sunshine & 25`degrees?[lol]

I think this is worse so far than last year, though. This is the first time I've had to move the 'pooter monitor (very large flat screen) because the sides of the caravan are flexing so much they're almost touching it. :(

Liz
14-Jan-07, 00:25
Getting really fed up with the high winds now. Does it give anyone else a headache? :(

I think it's the constant noise! Doesn't help that there is a constant rattling noise and I can't find out what is causing it. I've checked gates etc and its not from that and the only thing I can think it is is an air filter system and not sure how to sort it.

Where's my ear plugs?!!!!

jings00
14-Jan-07, 00:30
We’ve had some very fierce winds down here in the southwest these past few days. It was so bad today that one of the Border Terriers got blown inside out, it looks like a rubber glove.

ha ha ha, roared laffin at that, poor wee dug!!!

crayola
14-Jan-07, 01:22
It's been a bit breezy in Glasgow, but it's all quiet now. Bliss. :)

Humerous Vegetable
14-Jan-07, 11:08
Getting really fed up with the high winds now. Does it give anyone else a headache? :(

I think it's the constant noise! Doesn't help that there is a constant rattling noise and I can't find out what is causing it. I've checked gates etc and its not from that and the only thing I can think it is is an air filter system and not sure how to sort it.

Where's my ear plugs?!!!!
Here's a quote from this site http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Living%20with%20the%20mistral%20Prov ence
Quote" If you live in Provence in the south of France, you live with the Mistral. It is a north-northwest wind blowing continuously for periods of either 3, 7 or 17 days at any time of the year. This is the wind that supposedly drove Vincent van Gogh mad, pushing him to the point where he cut off his own ear".
Anybody got a spare scalpel?