PDA

View Full Version : Parking

bagpuss
10-Jan-07, 23:38
Am I the only person who is sick fed up of not being able to find a parking spot midday in Thurso, or in Wick at weekends? While there are 2 hour max carparks in Thurso Co-op and Wick Somerfield, the longer stay parks get full of office workers. I wonder how much revenue the warden has created since he took up post?

This alone is costing the centre of town- and I include High Street as well as Bridge Street- passing trade, which businesses as diverse as Boots and Houstons, depend on.

Oh- and in another thread which said that the retail park needed a cafe- that chip van up outside Homebase is doing a roaring trade.

Fran
11-Jan-07, 00:39
I was trying to park by the Central in Thurso today and went round and round about 3 times, then went to woolworths and parked there. The Co-op in Thurso is a particularly bad place for parking, moreso since the new houses were built there.

gollach
11-Jan-07, 01:04
I was trying to park by the Central in Thurso today and went round and round about 3 times, then went to woolworths and parked there. The Co-op in Thurso is a particularly bad place for parking, moreso since the new houses were built there.

If you are heading for Woolies or the Co-op, then there are usually plenty parking spaces at riverside (although I wouldn't want to carry a big load of shopping that far ;) )

Cattach
11-Jan-07, 11:05

Would they not open the doors and let you drive in?!!

Come on. I do not know about Wick but if you are wiling to walk just two or three hundred yards you will always get a parking place in Thurso. Try down by the river almost anywhere.

There are people who cannot walk that far and the majority of us should give them space. Maybe the full length of Traill Street in Thurso should be disabled parking. Bad enough having able bodied parking close to the Central and the shops but it is often double parked by members of the public and certainly by taxi drivers.

Does no one walk theses days? If you were in a major city you would either have to walk a long distance or pay through the nose for a spot.

pjyemail
11-Jan-07, 13:32
Does no one walk theses days? If you were in a major city you would either have to walk a long distance or pay through the nose for a spot.

we are not in the big city so we expect to be able to pack outside the shop doors, howevery as i am new to the area i do find it hard to know where to park in thurso. most of the time it's the coop.

angela5
11-Jan-07, 13:44
Does no one walk theses days?

Seems they don't, a majority expect to park right outside a shop door.:roll:
There is always somewhere to park within a short walking distance from the shop's in wick, yet so many still try to park along Bridge Street.

Boozeburglar
11-Jan-07, 13:57
I find it hilarious when people complain about the parking in Wick and Thurso.

Totally agree they should ramp up the disabled parking, but the rest of you need th exercise, believe me!

When I am in London I have to park a mile from the house Mon - Sat daytime because my car is registered up here I can't get a local permit. Here in Inverness I park it up at Morrison's and get my ticket refunded by buying something when I have finished whatever I am doing in town.

What Thurso and Wick need are some parking meters.

Cattach
11-Jan-07, 16:15
we are not in the big city so we expect to be able to pack outside the shop doors, howevery as i am new to the area i do find it hard to know where to park in thurso. most of the time it's the coop.

Is Thurso that big that you cannot have a scout around to see what parking is available?

jings00
11-Jan-07, 16:33
Do what a lot of the drivers do, park on pavements, double yellow lines, in the bus stop areas, disabled bays..........

badger
11-Jan-07, 18:10
Oh- and in another thread which said that the retail park needed a cafe- that chip van up outside Homebase is doing a roaring trade.

He just wasn't there the day I went but maybe it was too soon after Christmas as half the shops were closed as well. He's usually pretty busy but I still think it's a pity there's no nice coffee shop.

As for parking - you don't know how lucky you are up here to be able to park so easily although I do agree it's getting worse. When I first came up here I looked for the pay and display machine and couldn't believe parking was free. As for parking outside your house - when I lived in Glos. (not in a town but a village) a neighbour had a heart attack and moved away due to the parking problems. At one point the local bobby banned all parking in the High Street because a fire engine had been delayed getting down and the residents rebelled to the extent it hit the nationals and tv. In the end we marked off all areas where people could park and still allow space for the services to get by - two of us did the length of the road with a measuring tape :eek: . Peace restored. In towns people will go to almost any lengths to park near their houses - it's a nightmare.

rfr10
11-Jan-07, 20:04
Thought I'd post all of the parking spaces I'm aware of that's not too far away from the town centre seen as though I have nothing better to do at the moment:

1. The coop car park- always hard to get a space there.. maybe they should have extended the car park instead of building flats looking onto the car park..

2. Small car park at the back of Butresses shop

3. Small car park near harpers fishing shop and also a few spaces across the road from the cycle shop.

4. Janet Street parking.. pleanty of space there usually.

5. Somerfield car park.

6. Outside Top Joe's there are a few spaces but usually always taken up.

7. Opposite woolworths.

8. Some main streets don't have yellow lines so there aswell or you could park on the yellow lines and risk getting fined if the Traffic Warden is out!

That was all probably pointless but oh well :D How do you suggest they could improve their parking?