PDA

View Full Version : Advertising.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-07, 20:24
In the news this evening I was half watching it when this advert got my eye.It was of a Downes young adult,with the caption if i eat out a bowl would you give more.
I think it was done by Enable,who are going to get a flee in there ear from me tomorrow.
Its disgusting when one charity can have a dig at another like this.
Someone somewhere was not thinking how this could back fire on Enable.:mad:

jinglejangle
10-Jan-07, 20:28
yes i noticed that on the news too - i think they were just trying to get their point across which is amazing really but maybe not fully thought how it could affect their and other charitys. The news had other people speaking from different charities saying they also thought the advert was inappropriate.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-07, 20:35
What has really got me fizzing is that this particular group have a poor perception of there own self worth at the best of times.
This has given me grief that I just dont need just now.Its saying that a dog/cat is worth more than a disabled person.Literal interpredation of image,which I know they dont mean.
Where was somebody's brain.[disgust]

Oddquine
10-Jan-07, 20:47
What has really got me fizzing is that this particular group have a poor perception of there own self worth at the best of times.
This has given me grief that I just dont need just now.Its saying that a dog/cat is worth more than a disabled person.Literal interpredation of image,which I know they dont mean.
Where was somebody's brain.[disgust]

I think it was more because there is more money given to animal charities than to those for disabled people...............maybe they were trying to make like an animal, in the hopes that it will make people think about their priorities.

It's easy for other charities to say that charities like Enable can access the likes of the National Lottery.............but money from that until 2012 looks to be going to be poured down the gaping maw of the Olympics in London.

j4bberw0ck
10-Jan-07, 20:54
1. No publicity is bad publicity
2. If Enable want to get the message across that people give more money to animal charities than people charities, they've succeeded, and more power to their collective elbow.
3. If the thought's uncomfortable, take a reality check and set up a monthly payment of a few ££ to a suitable charity - preferably one that looks after humans.

daviddd
10-Jan-07, 21:08
Yes, absolutely, they have got publicity for their charity even if ruffling a few feathers. Time will tell if it was successful for them.

lab
10-Jan-07, 21:27
I had a severly disabled neice who sadly died in october, i fully suport enables advert because it has acheived exactly what it set out to do, get people talking. It is a sad but very true fact that animal charities get a larger perceentage of donations in the uk. It is also a fact that because of this if you are on a low income and your dog is sick it can get treatment free or at a low cost, but if you need an electric wheelchair or over sized buggy for a sick child or adult you either have to buy this yourself or wait in a very long queue. I am an animal lover and owner of six dogs, and think the sspca,pdsa exetera do a great job but my next charitable donation will go to enable or simmilar and i will tick the gift aid box also. Cuddlepop i gather you have animals but have you ever had first hand experiance of watching a familly member go through hell just to get a little help and respite with a sick child.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-07, 21:34
My own child claims DLA and I receive Carer,s allowence so without going into too much detail I have and wear the T shirt.:~(
I love my dog and without her I would be lost.Its the picture Enable used to get their point across which is going to take some explaining.

Oddquine
10-Jan-07, 21:39
My own child claims DLA and I receive Carer,s allowence so without going into too much detail I have and wear the T shirt.:~(
I love my dog and without her I would be lost.Its the picture Enable used to get their point across which is going to take some explaining.

Why, cuddlepop?

Sometimes it takes something upsetting to get people to take notice.

I have to admit I tend not to notice charity adverts, as I give only to Scottish ones, and most of those advertised are UK wide or English, but I did take notice of the Enable one.......and isn't that what it was about......making us stop and take notice?

It certainly appears to have worked...and I'm sure they wouldn't have been using individuals without permission.

Bobbyian
10-Jan-07, 21:45
My personal feeling is .. we have been hasselt to give to this charity and that charity only to find that most of the money is stuck in managers opockets or some other similar excuse... so I think the majority of people give for animals (that have been so misused by humans) than for humans dont get me wrong but if the human race is so intent on the few making so much and they show no responsibilty for the disabled or not intelligent. The I´m allright jack syndrome then i`d rather give for animals and the ad is just showing what we really are... I didnt mean to offend anyone thats just how I see it.

lab
10-Jan-07, 21:50
sorry cuddlepop for the latter of my post i honestly thought you were a good dooer animal lover who could not understand why enable had used this image to take money from animal charities. i am still at a loss even more so now i know you have a child in this position as to why you object to this advert, i have spoken to my sister and asked what she thought of the advert her words were great and if her daughter was still alive would quite happily of alloud her image to be used if it meant raising more money.

wifie
10-Jan-07, 22:11
Wow, looks like these ads will be effective for one reason or another! I believe giving to charity is like most things personal taste and we all have our reasons for giving to one over another. I do think charities shouldn't attack each other like this - does everbody in the world want a scrap these days?

golach
10-Jan-07, 22:12
Its the picture Enable used to get their point across which is going to take some explaining.
Why cuddlepop? This advert works, well it does in here anyway, and is that not the sole purpose of Enable getting it shown on TV.
I think Enable got its point across very well, and if it pricks our conciences, well it has worked even more.

jinglejangle
10-Jan-07, 22:14
I had a quick look on the enable website and they have an advertisement entitled 'hard hitting' campaign so they are certainly trying to gain positive reaction to these posters. I notice they have 2 posters which have been launched today.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-07, 22:41
Right,now I seem to remember reading that the Rspcaa or its Scottish equivalent dont get any government funding.I know for a fact childrens charities do.
For a child who is autistic,bearing in mind there's different degrees,looking at the image of a person that they can spend alot of time with, and a caption that reads :if i eat from a bowl etc.:Its interpreded as I am worth less than a dog.
Now i Know thats exactly what Enable want us to think but we can reason it out they cant.
You might even find a child would copy what there seeing and start eating out a bowl ,just to get more or because thats what people expect them to do.
There is no need for charitys to have a go at each other,its the Government that should either fund organisations properly or provide the sevice.:~(