PDA

View Full Version : Who would you vote for In an Independant Scotland....

Alrock
29-Mar-13, 12:32
There is a lot of assumption on here that a vote for independence is a vote for the SNP....

So... If independence is gained & we get a Scottish General Election to elect a new Scottish Government who would you vote for?

sids
29-Mar-13, 12:35
The Home Rule for Lower Pulteney Party, obviously.

mi16
29-Mar-13, 13:07
No one
Because it will not happen, actually you missed a tab for "wont be voting"

Alrock
29-Mar-13, 13:13
No one
Because it will not happen, actually you missed a tab for "wont be voting"

If you won't be voting then you don't vote on the poll either.

mi16
29-Mar-13, 13:15
If you won't be voting then you don't vote on the poll either.
Your poll is flawed then, you are failing to gauge the folk that will show their disgust in independance by witholding their vote.

Alrock
29-Mar-13, 13:54
Your poll is flawed then, you are failing to gauge the folk that will show their disgust in independance by witholding their vote.

To the contrary....
This poll is on the assumption independence is gained. If you don't vote then you will have no effect on the outcome. The time to show your disgust is in the referendum itself....

cptdodger
29-Mar-13, 14:31
Personally, I would vote for anybody but the SNP. However, if (and I mean if) Scotland gains independence, the problem you will have is, the yes lot will be so, so grateful to the SNP for achieving said independence, you will never get rid of Salmond and his lot.

Alrock
29-Mar-13, 15:08
Personally, I would vote for anybody but the SNP. However, if (and I mean if) Scotland gains independence, the problem you will have is, the yes lot will be so, so grateful to the SNP for achieving said independence, you will never get rid of Salmond and his lot.

Well... personally myself I also think that there is a strong possibility of a SNP Government at least for the first parliament. But I also think a SNP Government ruling from Holyrood is by far preferable to a Tory Government ruling from Westminster.

Oddquine
29-Mar-13, 17:19

Don't kid yourself! If he gets, as he might, to form the first government in 2016, It will probably be more because there are currently few Scottish Parties from which to choose.

Alrock assumes Labour, LibDem and the Tories will finally get round to registering as Scottish parties...but by after the referendum, when they will, I hope, have to finally give in and differentiate themselves from the UK Parties by some method other than just sticking Scottish in front of their party name while in Scotland, there is little chance of coherent policies for 2016. After all coherent policies are not overly conspicuous from Westminster....so they have a lot of bad habits to overcome.

I haven't voted in the poll because the only named Scottish Party who can stand atm is the SNP and a few "others", mostly specific interest Parties bar the Greens, the SDA and the SSP. Green I won't vote as long as they are windmill friendly...I quite like the look of the SDA but will have to see their manifesto.

I don't intend to vote for the SNP in 2016, (again because of the windmills) but until I see the options I can't say that for sure...so I may...but I hope I don't have to. But it's going to be hard having to vote on policies rather than for principle after all this time.

ducati
29-Mar-13, 17:37
The next gov after independence (hypothetically, just for fun as it'll not happen of course) will be one that is desperately trying to get us back into the UK [lol]

cptdodger
29-Mar-13, 20:54
Don't kid yourself!

I'm not kidding myself anymore than you or anybody else on this thread is. It's all hypothetical at this moment in time, you do'nt know what's going to happen and neither do I.

changilass
29-Mar-13, 21:06
Would the SNP exist after independence. They were set up to gain independence, surely if it happens then they have done what they set out to do and are no longer required as a party. I wonder if they will simply rename themselves.

Keyser_soze
29-Mar-13, 21:18
I personally would like the SNP to shrivel up & disappear back down the road they came , does anyone else feel they are anti english racists ? Or is it just me ? During their recent conference they didnt seem to have any policies apart from referendums & independence. Oh how I will laugh when Bug eyes & Odd bod dont get their way next year.

As Lincoln said you can fool some of the people.........

golach
30-Mar-13, 12:30
Would the SNP exist after independence. They were set up to gain independence, surely if it happens then they have done what they set out to do and are no longer required as a party. I wonder if they will simply rename themselves.
Do you actually think Eck and Nicola are going to fade away into the background, I think not, maybe they will show the old colours of the SNP and go back to being Tartan Tories.

luskentyre
30-Mar-13, 16:20
The SNP are finished as soon as Alex Salmond calls it a day. I have a lot of admiration for him - he's a great politician and extremely intelliegent but he IS the SNP. No one else in that party is even remotely impressive.

secrets in symmetry
30-Mar-13, 16:28
Eck isn't as smart as people think he is. He is well prepared - even when he appears not to be. Get him on his on his own on a subject he hasn't been briefed on, and he's nowhere. That's what one of his close advisors tells me!

The rest I agree with - mostly.

He's training his Nicks but it's a long hard road for her.

gleeber
30-Mar-13, 20:20
Eck isn't as smart as people think he is. He is well prepared - even when he appears not to be. Get him on his on his own on a subject he hasn't been briefed on, and he's nowhere. That's what one of his close advisors tells me!

If Alex Salmond has a close advisor who's indiscreet enough to share with you personal opinions about his boss which you then go on to share with the world, then what that tells me is Alex Salmond makes bad choices when he chooses close advisors. :eek:

secrets in symmetry
30-Mar-13, 20:22
If Alex Salmond has a close advisor who's indiscreet enough to share with you personal opinions about his boss which you then go on to share with the world, then what that tells me is Alex Salmond makes bad choices when he chooses close advisors. :eek:That's a good point!

Rheghead
30-Mar-13, 20:51
The Scottish Unionist Party

squidge
30-Mar-13, 21:20
If Alex Salmond has a close advisor who's indiscreet enough to share with you personal opinions about his boss which you then go on to share with the world, then what that tells me is Alex Salmond makes bad choices when he chooses close advisors. :eek:Or maybe it should tell you that Secrets is a lift operator. When I first started work it was said that the Lift Operatir knew everything because people treated him as if he wasnt there and spoke freely around him. Maybe that is it.

golach
30-Mar-13, 22:41
Or maybe it should tell you that Secrets is a lift operator. When I first started work it was said that the Lift Operatir knew everything because people treated him as if he wasnt there and spoke freely around him. Maybe that is it.
How dare you demean lift operators squidge, my own father was a lift operator in Jenners for a few years.......he said it was an up and down job [lol]

squidge
30-Mar-13, 22:44
How dare you demean lift operators squidge, my own father was a lift operator in Jenners for a few years.......he said it was an up and down job [lol]

Crikey I wasnt demeaning lift operators Golach lol..... they often DID hear things before anyone else.

secrets in symmetry
31-Mar-13, 03:07
If Alex Salmond has a close advisor who's indiscreet enough to share with you personal opinions about his boss which you then go on to share with the world, then what that tells me is Alex Salmond makes bad choices when he chooses close advisors. :eek:You may be even righter than I thought you were - one of Eck's (alleged) economic advisors did a similar thing in a bar several months ago.

In that case, I'm not sure I believed he was a senior advisor to Eck - but only because he was an idiot lol!