PDA

View Full Version : Global warming and incomers

badger
10-Jan-07, 11:31
We have all wondered from time to time why so many people and shops are moving up here and I wonder whether an item on the radio this morning gives the answer. For years people have moved to Spain building thousands of houses there. Now Spain is becoming concerned that it will soon be too hot for comfort and their economy will suffer because the housebuilding will cease. Are people moving up here in anticipation of the south becoming uncomfortably warm and they want to get in while they can? There have been many scifi stories of populations either moving south in a new ice age or north from hot deserts. Is this what's happening? Watch out for Spanish accents up here :eek:

Tugmistress
10-Jan-07, 12:13
Regarding myself, I moved up here for work, I was offered a position and I took it.
As for the GW bit, then if people are moving up here to get away from the 'hot south' then fair do's but it wont stay hot down south for long - if the NAD ceases which some scientists think is happening now, after a brief period of the UK warming up it will become more in line with the rest of the world at this latitude ... flipping cold in winter!

badger
10-Jan-07, 12:22
Yes, must admit I do wonder which way it's going to go. I have nightmares about the Gulf Stream being knocked out and us turning into Siberia so we all move south. Which way to go???

fred
10-Jan-07, 12:27
We have all wondered from time to time why so many people and shops are moving up here and I wonder whether an item on the radio this morning gives the answer. For years people have moved to Spain building thousands of houses there. Now Spain is becoming concerned that it will soon be too hot for comfort and their economy will suffer because the housebuilding will cease. Are people moving up here in anticipation of the south becoming uncomfortably warm and they want to get in while they can? There have been many scifi stories of populations either moving south in a new ice age or north from hot deserts. Is this what's happening? Watch out for Spanish accents up here :eek:

I think the climate has a lot to do with why people move to Spain, that and the low cost of living. People have been moving to Caithness for a different reason, I think most people move to Caithness to get away from the rat race, the polution, the crime, the overcrowding. They either want to live their final years in peace and beauty or want their children to grow up in a better environment than they did.

As for all those businesses that snubbed their noses at us for years suddenly clamoring to build here, I can only assume they know something we don't.

Woolie
10-Jan-07, 13:31
Part of the reason for us moving here was family living here and for the way of life being so much easier and crime not being anyway near to down south and a better place for our son to grow up.

Rheghead
10-Jan-07, 18:56

It is fact that north coast beaches are nicer than anything the Med can offer, (temperatures not entering into the equation) so I think the millions of holiday makers are terra-forming Caithness into a hot holiday destination by their long haul flight emissions.:eek:

j4bberw0ck
10-Jan-07, 20:11
I think the millions of holiday makers are terra-forming Caithness into a hot holiday destination by their long haul flight emissions.:eek:

Phew. I thought for a moment there you meant by their methane emissions. http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/images/styles/default/smilies/muahaha.gif

cuddlepop
10-Jan-07, 20:18
Must admit I had to reread thread aS I thought Badger had flipped and posted a controversial thread;) :lol:

Tony
10-Jan-07, 22:12
I think people move here due to many reasons house prices, crime rates, friendly people etc. and probably many have been here before and vowed to return. As for the shops well I am at a loss here but could it be something to do with oil on the Wick side maybe?

Errogie
10-Jan-07, 23:54
I am very partial to an afternoon siesta and paella and definitely think we should be encouraging a few more Spaniards to move north. Besides we could do with some more new Fair Isle knitting patterns since the last lot (the refugees from the Armada) dropped in.

Not so sure whether the local coos would be much use in the ring but the Thurso pedestrian precinct is ideally designed for a bull running before a big fiesta and it would provide the local hoodies with some adrenaline fuelled exercise!

Gleber2
11-Jan-07, 14:41
I am very partial to an afternoon siesta and paella and definitely think we should be encouraging a few more Spaniards to move north. Besides we could do with some more new Fair Isle knitting patterns since the last lot (the refugees from the Armada) dropped in.

Not so sure whether the local coos would be much use in the ring but the Thurso pedestrian precinct is ideally designed for a bull running before a big fiesta and it would provide the local hoodies with some adrenaline fuelled exercise!

Ever thought of following in your father's foorsteps and standing for the council?

Rampant Rabbit
11-Jan-07, 15:51
Italso Seems Some Of The Crime Fae Down The Road
Is Moved Norh As Well It Will Be Just As Bad Up Here As Well

Cattach
11-Jan-07, 16:25
Just came to educate the natives!!!

MISS K
11-Jan-07, 17:32
we are moving up in 2 weeks, due to work, caithness has a great reputation for being freindly, you have more to do, believe it or not, than where we stay, yes we are 30 minutes from Inverness for the shops, but thats only a once a week thing, where i live there is nothing for teenagers, nothing within walking distance, nothing for toddlers, anyway im excited, hope we will all fit in ok, everyone says how freindly everyone is, and i have to say, everyone helping us get ready up there has been superb:D

sweetpea
11-Jan-07, 17:48
Don't think people are moving here for the weather but sometimes I do wonder why especially when whole families come up and then every month cousin so and so appears then their wives and kids, it's a mystery to me. What I object to is they flit from council house to council house each going into the one vacated by the previous one. Heard yesterday about a single parent wanting to move to the town and her cousin who came up about 2 months ago is said to be wanting her house and will probably get it knowing the council. None of them work either. What is it with these people?

badger
11-Jan-07, 17:59
Must admit I had to reread thread aS I thought Badger had flipped and posted a controversial thread;) :lol:

Is that a challenge? Will have to think of something. It wasn't intended to be yet another heavy thread about why people move up here - just thought it was interesting that Spain is getting worried about prospect of reduced housebuilding due to local warming and I thought maybe people were coming this way instead to escape the overpowering heat down there.

Of course if the Gulf Stream does get knocked out by all the melted ice and Scotland turns into Siberia, maybe we'll all be charging south again. Is that why there are so many mobile homes? (wanted to put a smiley in there but cuddlepop has cornered the market so I got smacked - again - sigh).

MISS K
11-Jan-07, 18:18
:lol: Good news sweetpea, none of our family will be following us hah hah its the same down here, famillies live next door or across the road, from each other, we have a family who run up and down to each others houses in their nighties and thats all day long hee hee:lol:

sweetpea
11-Jan-07, 19:45
I don't object to that sort of thing just when none of them work and the grandparents who are both on benfits have them all staying with them until they get housed, which isn't usually that long, few weeks maybe.

grumpyhippo
11-Jan-07, 19:51
I can see it already, tapas replacing pie and chips, sangria instead of Tennants, paella not curry and rice. Can't wait for it, bring on the flamenco I say!

Geo
11-Jan-07, 20:07
When I read the title of this thread I was wondering if the post was going to be some "out there" theory on incomers causing global warming! LOL :)

cuddlepop
11-Jan-07, 21:20
Badger me baiting you ...never;)
We have alot of people coming up from Liverpool to settle here and like Sweetpea states it starts with perhapse a couple and then the extended family appears in drips and draps.Mustn't forget their friends they come too.:eek:

Errogie
11-Jan-07, 22:52
Touche` Gleeber 2, but it might be better if that duty skipped a generation or two and to paraphase Groucho Marx I don't think that I'd want to join any Council that might consider accepting me as a member!

Such serious responsibility should really be reserved for such as your good self and the Fernies of this world who are naturally imbued with a deeper sense of propriety and civic pride and who don't waste so much time tripping irreverently and lightheartedly through the message board of the Org.