PDA

View Full Version : Trump is trumped

Rheghead
26-Mar-13, 17:23
The Scottish Government today announced consent for the development of the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC) in Aberdeen Bay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21938247

joxville
26-Mar-13, 20:55
Excellent news, anything that upsets The Donald is okay in my book. Maybe he's scared that the draught from them will blow his wig off :-)

Kodiak
26-Mar-13, 21:13
This has cheered me up no end. :Razz With a bit of luck he will go in the Huff and never come back to Scotland.

mi16
27-Mar-13, 11:29
Why do so many folk see Mr Trump investing many millions of pounds creating the best links course in the UK as a negative thing and want to get one over on the guy.

joxville
27-Mar-13, 11:53
Because Trump is an arrogant, egotistical arsehole who thinks his millions should have people throwing themselves at his feet wherever he goes. That golf course was built against the wishes of the locals and against a council planning decision. Trump acted like a spoiled kid who couldn't get his way and so appealed until he got what he wanted.

Alice in Blunderland
27-Mar-13, 12:29
Because Trump is an arrogant, egotistical arsehole who thinks his millions should have people throwing themselves at his feet wherever he goes. That golf course was built against the wishes of the locals and against a council planning decision. Trump acted like a spoiled kid who couldn't get his way and so appealed until he got what he wanted.

yes he spat a few of these

http://www.ldoceonline.com/skfs/preview/00247821.jpg

And all of these got tossed out the pram if I remember rightly.

http://s7ondemand6.scene7.com//is/image/MothercareASE/dw_badge_template2_new?&$badge2size=1%2C0&$hidetext2=1&$badge1size=1%2C0&$product=MothercareASE%2Fln0529_1&$dw_medium2_mc$

mi16
27-Mar-13, 12:31
At the end of the day it was granted planning, regardless of how many appeals he had to go through.
In fact by the time it was eventually granted it vindicates his decision to appeal.
There are many folk who appeal planning committee decisions, are they all "arrogant, egotistical arseholes".

I should add however that I disagree with him trying to hold the Parliment to randsom over his proposed housing and hotel complex. I cant see an offhsore windfarm making a negative difference to the view from Balmedie.

cptdodger
27-Mar-13, 12:58
Regardless what you think about the individual, the most important question is - is he creating jobs?

Errogie
27-Mar-13, 13:00
The golf course was just a front to allow him to build over a thousand houses plus a hotel. He was never going to make a return on his investment from golfing fees alone. All part of the spin from someone who is a caricature of the most obnoxious traits which can sometimes emanate from our American cousins.

His Lewis mother probably left the island to escape similar behaviour from the landlords of the day.

mi16
27-Mar-13, 13:31
Regardless what you think about the individual, the most important question is - is he creating jobs?

Of course he is, the entire development which may now never be realised was reputed to be worth £1,000,000,000.
I hope it still goes ahead or we may have shot ourselves in the foot by approving the £200,000,000 windfarm.
However as I mentioned earlier we were correct to refuse to be blackmailed.

joxville
27-Mar-13, 14:20
The 'luxury' golf course would just be another playground for his rich friends, but Scotland already has plenty of courses, many of which are underused. I read recently that some have closed down while many others are in financial trouble, do we really need another course? And after it, and the houses, are built, how much will it really benefit the local economy? In my usual ignorance of the full facts, I hope the odious creature does pull the plug on the venture, he and his wig can beggar off back to America and never visit our shores again.

mi16
27-Mar-13, 14:45
The 'luxury' golf course would just be another playground for his rich friends, but Scotland already has plenty of courses, many of which are underused. I read recently that some have closed down while many others are in financial trouble, do we really need another course? And after it, and the houses, are built, how much will it really benefit the local economy? In my usual ignorance of the full facts, I hope the odious creature does pull the plug on the venture, he and his wig can beggar off back to America and never visit our shores again.

I think a billion pound investment will benefit the local (and national) economy greatly.
Aberdeenshire is awash with money and the course does pretty well I am led to believe.
That is even with the some folk carrying out sabbotage on occasion to the course.

Also with the depths of our economy, surely a huddle of mega rich billionaires is exactly the type of thing we would want spending money in our hotels, car dealerships, clubs, restauraunts etc.

Rheghead
27-Mar-13, 18:07
Trump says that the wind farm will never be built due to it being constantly held up in the courts, that means his 150 room hotel will never be built then

Alrock
27-Mar-13, 18:10
Trump says that the wind farm will never be built due to it being constantly held up in the courts, that means his 150 room hotel will never be built thenIf he's so sure that it won't be built then why is he so worried about it?
Should he not put his money where his mouth is & build his hotel anyway.

ywindythesecond
27-Mar-13, 19:35

Everyone seems to forget that King Alex intervened and made sure Trump got his golf course. It was Salmond who made sure it went ahead against the wishes of locals and on a site which was protected. If you want to vilify someone, vilify Salmond.

Of course the golf course should have been refused, it should never have been applied for in that location but WFE is so keen on sooking up to the rich and famous he single-handedly diminished the importance of protecting those things and places which have a value in society, but not a cash value.

I don't like Trump either, but there are a lot of posts on this thread which are not based on facts, but on personal prejudice.

PantsMAN
27-Mar-13, 20:39
Let's not forget Trump's bullying tactics against the folk who's land he wanted and the way he bulldozed tons of earth to try and exert his will.

mi16
27-Mar-13, 21:28
You dont get to be a billionaire by playing nice all the time.
Business is business.

webmannie
28-Mar-13, 06:34
daamn is that where i'm going wrong. Oh well i'd better get a lottery ticket!

joxville
28-Mar-13, 15:28
It's true what you say mi16, but Trump is nothing but a rich bully who is always determined to get his way. He wants to build on SSSI land, and regardless of the project, if it was anyone else in other part of the country, he would have been refused, as Aberdeenshire Council originally did. Alex Salmond's government rejected that decision and gave approval because of the claimed economic benefits, benefits which have been disputed by the Lomdon School of Economics; and given the history of both men when it comes to dealing in facts, I'd tend to believe the LSE.

There's also the question of his abuse of his money and stature, lodging a request with Aberdeenshire Council to approve the compulsory purchase of people's homes, a request his organisation denied placing, stating they had 'no interest' in the compulsory purchase of said homes, yet the council have the papers to prove it. I watched a film on BBC called You've Been Trumped, about the planned venture, and I was disgusted the way he spoke about the locals, one in particular being accused of living in a slum. It's got sod all to do with Trump how that farmer chose to live his life, but because he didn't meet Donald standards, Trump felt he had the right to run down that man.

I've no problem with businessmen wanting to make money, it's how they go about it that pees me off.

PantsMAN
28-Mar-13, 20:45
You dont get to be a billionaire by playing nice all the time.
Business is business.

I believe a sicilian organisation had the same code of ethics.

As Corporal Jones was keen to say "They don't like it up 'em!", and bullies like Trump can't stand ordinary people going against them

secrets in symmetry
29-Mar-13, 23:09
Donald Trump versus Ugly Fat Eck in a fight to the death is even more enticing than ywindy versus Ugly Fat Eck in a fight to the death.

Go Donald Go!

Go Windy Go!