PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection.

halkirk1
19-Feb-05, 19:48
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to connect to broadband without using your ISP's (in my case AOL) software and what information I would need to make this connection.

So instead of connecting via the AOL software I could just have an icon to the broadband connection on my desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Donnie
21-Feb-05, 12:48
A wise move not installing the AOL software. It is pretty simple to set up a dial up connection but before you can do it you will need a note of your username/password and the number your connection needs to dial.

Colin Manson
21-Feb-05, 12:55
Broadband doesn't need to dial a number.

There have been a few threads about networking AOL, have a search and see what you can find.

Cheers
Colin

EDIT - Link to one post - http://www.caithness.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6889

AOL Section on ADSL Guide - First thread I saw related to Networking AOL.

Also see here - http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=aol

ADSL Guides own help for Networking AOL

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=dslhardware#Q205

Donnie
21-Feb-05, 13:03
When I manually created my adsl connection I still needed to put in a phone number of sorts. Although it doesn't dial this like say a modem connection would. The number I have to use for Pipex is 0,38.

Colin Manson
21-Feb-05, 13:13
Those numbers are -

virtual path identifier and virtual channel identifier

0 and 38 are the UK settings for ADSL

They aren't phone numbers, they are part of your ADSL setup, allong with Encapsulating Type, Protocol and Modulation.

Cheers
Colin

Donnie
21-Feb-05, 13:48
So that would be the same for every ISP then?

jjc
21-Feb-05, 14:18
Ye Gods! AOL? Why man, why?!?

21-Feb-05, 15:37
...because AOL pioneered the user interface to make it friendly & easy to use - it even speaks to you.....
BT, Freeserve/Wanadoo etc have all tried to do the same by giving users a portal to the ISP, but its not in the same league as AOL for simplicity.
Having said that, AOL software screws around with Windows components etc over all Windows versions, so best practice is to leave it well alone.

There is no reason why you cant use the MS supplied browser or any other on AOL, you just give up the "functionality" of the interface. Some people like to keep it simple. See the other links from Colin for further info.

jjc
21-Feb-05, 16:28
...because AOL pioneered the user interface to make it friendly & easy to use - it even speaks to you.....

[…]

Having said that, AOL software screws around with Windows components etc over all Windows versions, so best practice is to leave it well alone.

So what you're saying is that AOL is good because of the user interface, but the user interface doesn't 'interface' too well with the OS most of us are using and shouldn't really be installed? ;)

Riffman
21-Feb-05, 21:04
I use AOL with the XP broadband connection wizard, no more nasty software!! Networking can be a bit interesting if you have the silver, but is possible using a simple proxy program.

Firefox is the best browser and I use it exclusively!!

Riff

22-Feb-05, 13:41
So what you're saying is that AOL is good because of the user interface, but the user interface doesn't 'interface' too well with the OS most of us are using and shouldn't really be installed?

NO, what I stated was the reason why AOL is popular - it has a user friendly interface which inexperienced people prefer. Its also very well marketed i.e. they spend a lot of money on selling it/giving it away, such that new entrants to the marketplace think that it is the best software / ISP for the internet. ???? :D
I also stated the reason why more enlightened users shouldn't consider using AOL because it modifies the Windows user interface.
Even more enlightened users may want to consider a non-Windows interface such as Linux (currently using Suse Pro 9.2) which isnt affected by the AOL software.... :D

As we all know there are many ISPs out there and it is purely up to the individual to choose which they prefer..... :D