PDA

View Full Version : Blackbirds

Kenn
09-Jan-07, 23:59
I was amazed this morning to see 5 blackbirds , 3 male, 2 female perched on the ivy busy devouring the berries.
Normally 2 males will have a dust up at the sight of a claw in their patch. It's not cold here so they are able to feed at leisure.
Has any one else experienced this sight?

nirofo
10-Jan-07, 02:28
This is the time of year when there are major influxes of many of the Thrush family from Scandinavia and further east, including Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Redwing and Fieldfare. They are quite tolerant of one another and will sometimes congregate in large flocks. If you know where there are trees and bushes still containing berries and watch them regularly, then you are likely to see some of these birds feeding. Old fruit put out on the lawn can be a good for attracting most of the thrush family, mix this with fat balls, bacon rind, various nuts and seeds and you never know what you may attract.

nirofo.

catherine nicol
10-Jan-07, 20:41
I was delighted to see no less than 18 blackbirds in my garden the other week.

All devouring the apples and pears that I put out for them the night before.

I have never had such a varied number of colours of blackbirds.

Alas only had the one song thrush at any one time though but never mind 18 blackbirds at once didn't leave me disheartened.

Kenn
10-Jan-07, 23:31
Many thanks both for the replies.
I don't think the blackbirds migrate here being so much further south but I stand to be corrected on that.
This morning only three and soon one section of the ivy will be bereft of berries so looks like I too will be putting out the fruit.
Have the fieldfares and redwings arrived en mass yet? Coming up in a few days and would be so good to see them.

nirofo
11-Jan-07, 02:53
I don't think the blackbirds migrate here being so much further south but I stand to be corrected on that.
This morning only three and soon one section of the ivy will be bereft of berries so looks like I too will be putting out the fruit.
Have the fieldfares and redwings arrived en mass yet? Coming up in a few days and would be so good to see them.

Hi LIZZ

You would be surprised just how far south these birds will go, many end up in southern Spain and Africa for the Winter.

Bye the way, I lived in Hove for about 9 months during 1970, I worked in the electronics section of a firm called Sound Defusion, don't know whether it still exists. The birding was quite good there during the Autumn and Winter if I remember correctly. I was out in a fishing boat from Newhaven one day when there was a fall of goldcrests, there were more than 20 on the boat at one stage and we were about 12 miles out in the English Channel.

nirofo.

catherine nicol
11-Jan-07, 21:34

I saw a large flock of fieldfares a week or so ago on the Thurso side of the county on the Lieurary Road which I turned onto just before the Westfield Bridge. Also saw lots around the Loch Calder area. Various duck species on the Loch too. Buzzards, Kestrels, Heron and quite a few other species in flight between Calder and Lieurary Road, enjoyable trip.

The largest flock of redwings that I have seen this winter so far were on the Wick side of the county at the Crossroads where you choose to go to Lyth Arts Centre / Barrock / Hastigrew. Loads flying around everywhere and dropping behind bushes. When I got out and looked over the hedges there were loads in the field.

Hope that you enjoy your time when you are here. Let me know what you all see, always looking for somewhere different to visit. Tend to go to the same areas out of habit.

Have fun.