PDA

View Full Version : 91%

piratelassie
24-Mar-13, 23:15
91% of Scottish MP's at Westminster voted AGAINST the bedroom tax, yet it is still being implimented north of the border. To my mind that is not only a bloody cheek it's also undemocratic, unless you like being crapped on. Wake up and smell the coffee.

sids
24-Mar-13, 23:49
What percentage of Scottish MPs are members of opposition parties?

Phill
25-Mar-13, 00:06
The democracy bit comes with all those entitled to vote. It would be an interesting version of an independent Scotland where you only allow Scot's to vote on anything.

equusdriving
25-Mar-13, 00:28
91% of Scottish MP's at Westminster voted AGAINST the bedroom tax, yet it is still being implimented north of the border. To my mind that is not only a bloody cheek it's also undemocratic, unless you like being crapped on. Wake up and smell the coffee.

wow are you really getting that desperate to find anti English/British propaganda, I think you are the worst advocate for the Independence cause, surely you don't think this rubbish you continuously spout will convince people to vote for independence?

golach
25-Mar-13, 00:40
Scotland has 59 Mps in Westminster and the majority are in the opposition parties, how does that equate to 91% anti, are you using fat Ecks calculator again?
Out of 650 mps, we have 39 Labour, 12 Liberal Democrats, 1 Tory, and 7 of your lot, show me the 91%

piratelassie
25-Mar-13, 01:02
I repeat, 91% of ALL scottish MP's at Westminster voted no to the bedroom tax, what do you not understand?

Phill
25-Mar-13, 01:09
I repeat, 91% of ALL scottish MP's at Westminster voted no to the bedroom tax, what do you not understand?I think we are not understanding what you are understanding.

What did ALL Welsh MP's vote for?

equusdriving
25-Mar-13, 01:10
I repeat, 91% of ALL scottish MP's at Westminster voted no to the bedroom tax, what do you not understand?

and so if the majority of Scouse/ Mancunian/ Brummie etc etc MP'S in Westminster voted against it would that mean it wouldn't be implemented in their regions???

Oddquine
25-Mar-13, 01:11
The democracy bit comes with all those entitled to vote. It would be an interesting version of an independent Scotland where you only allow Scot's to vote on anything.

The democracy bit comes in with one person one vote that counts for something. The votes of the Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh MPs count for nothing in Westminster the vast majority of the time.....the only votes that count are English votes. Hadn't you noticed? THe FPTP system is not by any measure democratic.

equusdriving
25-Mar-13, 01:12
and so if the majority of Scouse/ Mancunian/ Brummie etc etc MP'S in Westminster voted against it would that mean it wouldn't be implemented in their regions???

Oh no I forgot that it was BRITISH MP'S VOTING ON BEDROOM TAX FOR BRITAIN

equusdriving
25-Mar-13, 01:16
The democracy bit comes in with one person one vote that counts for something. The votes of the Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh MPs count for nothing in Westminster the vast majority of the time.....the only votes that count are English votes. Hadn't you noticed? THe FPTP system is not by any measure democratic.

are these the same Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh MP'S that mostly live in England and are members of the BRITISH PARLIAMENT?

Phill
25-Mar-13, 01:20
The democracy bit comes in with one person one vote that counts for something. The votes of the Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh MPs count for nothing in Westminster the vast majority of the time.....the only votes that count are English votes. Hadn't you noticed? THe FPTP system is not by any measure democratic.Yes. Very centralised voting. You think the SNP want anything different?
However, the democracy bit still stands in the current format. All the MP's voted regardless of their nationality. The inference I see is what and how Scottish MP's vote, however when mixed with Welsh, Northern Irish, (Greens) and dare I mention the English, the race of the MP's becomes irrelevant.
Which leads me to conclude that some elements of the independence supporters only want Scottish political representatives in their system of government.

Hardly democratic when we are focusing on the nationality of the 'democratically elected' representatives.

piratelassie
25-Mar-13, 02:05
This statment is exactly why I want home rule.

Oh no I forgot that it was BRITISH MP'S VOTING ON BEDROOM TAX FOR BRITAIN

Phill
25-Mar-13, 02:13
So who would you allow to stand for MP / MSP in your independent Scotland?

Alrock
25-Mar-13, 02:27

If the "Scouse/ Mancunian/ Brummie etc etc MP'S" where campaigning for Independence from the rest of the UK then it would be a legitimate campaign message....

Since they are not then your statement is rather irrelevant.

equusdriving
25-Mar-13, 10:49
If the "Scouse/ Mancunian/ Brummie etc etc MP'S" where campaigning for Independence from the rest of the UK then it would be a legitimate campaign message....

Since they are not then your statement is rather irrelevant.

So perhaps you could enlighten us to how many of the said Scottish MP'S are campaigning for Independence then.....................

Flynn
25-Mar-13, 11:42
How many Scottish MPs voted in favour of university top-up fees for English universities?

It flows both ways.

sam09
25-Mar-13, 18:21
No matter which party has the majority of Scottish votes (same for N.I. Wales) we have no say on who runs the country as a whole.

Alrock
25-Mar-13, 19:25
So perhaps you could enlighten us to how many of the said Scottish MP'S are campaigning for Independence then.....................

Once again an irrelevant question.... The majority of Scottish MP's voted against the Bedroom Tax therefore it is a legitimate point to bring up regardless of those MP's stance on Independence.

equusdriving
25-Mar-13, 22:12
Once again an irrelevant question.... The majority of Scottish MP's voted against the Bedroom Tax therefore it is a legitimate point to bring up regardless of those MP's stance on Independence.

So what was the relevence of your earlier post "If the "Scouse/ Mancunian/ Brummie etc etc MP'S" where campaigning for Independence from the rest of the UK then it would be a legitimate campaign message...." which implies that you are contradicting yourself

Dog-eared
26-Mar-13, 02:27
John Thurso, our MP, said he wasnt voting either way in Westminster, but in his constituency he said he was against it .

Humerous Vegetable
26-Mar-13, 17:11
This man will always abstain (or opt out,as we lesser mortals call it) if he hasn't the guts to vote against the coalition. www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/john_thurso/caithness%2C_sutherland_and_easter_ross (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/john_thurso/caithness%2C_sutherland_and_easter_ross) For somebody with below average attendance at Westminster, he still seems to rack up above average travel and subsistence allowances.
I believe the other Scottish MPs who voted for acceptance of the "bedroom tax" were LibDems. What a self-seeking shower of useless wannabees

Kasper King
28-Mar-13, 09:59
This 91% of Scotish Mp's, would that include the Scotish MP's that represent English constituancies in Westminster? This "so called tax" is being introduced in all parts of the UK not just Scotland.And thinking on, why should one or two people have a 3 or 4 bedroom council house?

Oddquine
28-Mar-13, 14:53
This 91% of Scotish Mp's, would that include the Scotish MP's that represent English constituancies in Westminster? This "so called tax" is being introduced in all parts of the UK not just Scotland.And thinking on, why should one or two people have a 3 or 4 bedroom council house?

Well, no! Scottish MPs mean MPs represnting Scottish consituencies. Other MPs of Scottish Nationality are representing constituencies in other countries in the Union..so technically, they would be English, NI and Welsh MPS.

I'm not against the principle of people in social housing downsizing to free up houses for other people in overcrowded social housing to get enough space for their needs..but the main reason for one or two people having a 3 or 4 bedroom council house is that there simply aren't enough smaller houses The way to sort that isn't to penalise people with nowhere else to go....but to build more social housing..and completely stop the sale of social housing. Once we can keep up with the varying housing needs of the population..then penalising is an option....or even more sensibly..make downsizing part of a tenant's contract. That way downsizing can be compulsory, if necessary, depending on housing needs in the housing area..but everyone would know that was a possibility from the start of their tenancy.