PDA

View Full Version : Job Centre busy?

percy toboggan
09-Jan-07, 22:56
What's the current job situtation like in the far north-east then? We keep being told how Britain is booming but has it reached that far north. I'd guess tradesmen can do well. Builders and the like. Professionals always seem to prosper, be they in the public sector or private. You might even be a'key-worker' what a clever and cunning tactic by HM Government to make a few seem really special, alas where does that leave the rest of us lesser mortals.

Nurses, Policemen, Ambulance / Paramedics and teachers all highly valued people but 'key' ? Just how 'key' is the man who sweeps the streets. I think collectively we'd miss him sooner than all those I've mentioned. *

I expect some folk look upon council postition as plum jobs - there seems an over reliance on the public sector in Scotland - not trying to provoke an argument, it just seems like a well reported fact down here (Lancs).

Many HGV jobs going? I'd guess not, as the skill/licence is relatively easily obtained for those with aptitude, a similar story to driving buses, although dealing with the public - even an esteemed populace like that of Caithness would not suit me.

I just wonder what kind of school-leavers are being turned out? And what is their mindset? Do most go onto further education? Do they have bigger ideas than retail work or hairdressing? Both noble areas but kids today seem to want the world as their oyster. Does the land offer much in the way of a career? I'd guess not.

I'm getting auld and knackered now with less than decade to graft if I make it. I'm sure I could find work in Manchester no problem, but if I went into the jobcentre I know for a fact most of the vacancies would be low-paid and relatively menial. Double-glazing and selling would feature prominently too but although some seem to thrive in those areas I've never felt it was for me.

Changing tack in ones career is very difficult. Have you had a mid-life job swap that's worked? I'd gladly never work again to be honest but the money does come in darned handy.

Employment is a neccesary evil for folk of my ilk. I've seldom been without it, for which I suppose I'm grateful.

Thinking out loud here now, some might call it rambling but I'm finishing off the Xmas Port !:o