PDA

View Full Version : Nicola Says Scotland can afford Independence

ducati
24-Mar-13, 14:27
Apparently we have been overpaying for years.

Phew! That's alright then. :cool:

squidge
24-Mar-13, 14:48
Ducati, EVERYONE says we can afford independence. Even David Cameron said it months ago.

golach
24-Mar-13, 16:32
Ducati, EVERYONE says we can afford independence. Even David Cameron said it months ago.

Why dont I believe you Squidge?

golach
24-Mar-13, 16:38
Apparently we have been overpaying for years.Phew! That's alright then. :cool:

Is Nicola Says a new version of Simon Says?

macadamia
24-Mar-13, 16:51
Nicola is absolutely 100% right. Scotland CAN and WILL afford Independence. There is no way, if a "yes" vote is secured, that Scotland will not, in the short term, be immediately better off.

I say this as a chap of 65, with mebbe about another 15 years to push.

Scenario a)

SNP have been telling nothing but the truth, all their facts and their suppositions have been 100% correct, and all external parties have agreed to the SNP terms and conditions.

Scenario b)

SNP have not been telling the truth, numbers, facts and percentages have all been skewed, and long term projections are that one day the worm will turn and bite the newly Independent Scotland in the bum.

Whether a) or b) is the result, the desire for continuing power will ensure that proud Scotland APPEARS to be an Independent success for as long as either the reality or the illusion can be sustained.

15-20 years should see the truth.

At which point I'll be pushing up the daisies, smiling a lot.

billmoseley
24-Mar-13, 18:19
She would wouldn't she its her job to say that :roll:

Alrock
24-Mar-13, 18:25
She would wouldn't she its her job to say that :roll:

So it must be true then as I'm sure that there is no clause in her job description that says she should lie.

billmoseley
24-Mar-13, 18:34
So it must be true then as I'm sure that there is no clause in her job description that says she should lie. she's a politician i rest my case lololol

Alrock
24-Mar-13, 18:43
she's a politician i rest my case lololol

Politicians might lie but it is not their job to do so, hence why they get into trouble when caught out.

tonkatojo
24-Mar-13, 20:05
Politicians might lie but it is not their job to do so, hence why they get into trouble when caught out.

Aye but the blighters have a way with words even when they have said something, they didn't, doesn't matter what party they'r in, hence my mistrust.

gaza
24-Mar-13, 20:24
You are a cynical lot . . . . .:confused

cptdodger
24-Mar-13, 20:28
From BBC News Website -

"Deputy SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon has told her party's Inverness conference that Scotland can "more than afford" to be an independent nation. She insisted that independence was not "optional" but "essential".

Oh really? What is the point of this referendum then? There was me thinking it is down to the individual to choose, I just wonder how the SNP are going to make me vote for independence then !

Keyser_soze
24-Mar-13, 21:42
Deny , deflect & outright Lies , its the SNP way to get us to vote for independence & to satisfy their lust for power, & sate their Anti english nonsense agenda.

Shetland & Orkney decide to go alone, whos gona pay the bills then Shrek & bushy brows ?????

Just say NO

Rheghead
24-Mar-13, 22:00
If you want Scotland covered in wind turbines then vote for independence.

piratelassie
24-Mar-13, 23:07
It appears the bitter together mob have nothing but childish nonsense to throw into the argument, pathetic.

Rheghead
24-Mar-13, 23:55
It appears the bitter together mob have nothing but childish nonsense to throw into the argument, pathetic.

I'm rather fond of wind farms as anyone can tell you. So how does that make me bitter? another groundless rubbishy accusation from those that do not read. :roll:

Phill
24-Mar-13, 23:57
It appears the bitter together mob have nothing but childish nonsense to throw into the argument, pathetic.If we are going to be mature and present sensible, fact based arguments as for the pros & cons it could be perceived, to me at least, that the 'bitter' should be the 'bitter independent anti English & Westminster mob'.
#justsaying

cptdodger
24-Mar-13, 23:59

I'm afraid the only person I have found on here that comes across as "bitter" is you. The slightest opportunity you get (whether it is factual or not) and you take a swipe at England, in your words, "pathetic".

Kenn
25-Mar-13, 00:10
I want to know WHERE the money is coming from, how the services are to be provided, if the full oil and gas revenues are granted then how long will they last, will sheep be taxed..so many questions and no answers from any where as yet .

Shaggy
25-Mar-13, 00:44
so many questions and no answers from any where as yet .

dont worry Lizz, there will most certainly be a few windbags along with their usual spouting of tripe and other messy stuff shortly.....might want to change the tinfoil hat for a plastic one though :-)

piratelassie
25-Mar-13, 00:48
How in God's earth does wanting Scottish independence become anti English?

If we are going to be mature and present sensible, fact based arguments as for the pros & cons it could be perceived, to me at least, that the 'bitter' should be the 'bitter independent anti English & Westminster mob'.
#justsaying

piratelassie
25-Mar-13, 00:55
Free education, free elderly care, free prescriptions, free bus passes for the over 60's, all successfully financed for the last 6 years due to policy choice by this socially conscious SNP gov.

I want to know WHERE the money is coming from, how the services are to be provided, if the full oil and gas revenues are granted then how long will they last, will sheep be taxed..so many questions and no answers from any where as yet .

Rheghead
25-Mar-13, 00:58
Free education, free elderly care, free prescriptions, free bus passes for the over 60's, all successfully financed for the last 6 years due to policy choice by this socially conscious SNP gov.

And all successfully carried out within the UK.

golach
25-Mar-13, 00:59
Jack McConnell gave us our free bus passes and they are not only for the over 60's, your lot had nothing to do with that.

Phill
25-Mar-13, 01:01
My perception is there is a lot of anti English & Westminster sentiment out there. And statements calling each sides bitter does not help anyone's cause.

ducati
25-Mar-13, 01:07

OK. Reallity check.

Hardly any large business organisations in Scotland are home owned. Of the population of 5 1/2ish million, how many are tax payers? How many receive benefits? Of the employed, what proportion in public/private sector.
How much employment will be lost on independence? How will Edinburgh compete with London as a financial centre when primarily the institutions are satalites of London? How will Scotland compete with the rest of the UK on things like corporation tax? How will Scotland afford the aging population when it is becoming clear that the UK as a whole can't.

A great many other questions but if there was a convincing answer to any of these it would be a start.

Phill
25-Mar-13, 01:12
Good Q's Duke.

Thing is, if the SNP were prepared to put thier cards on the table, they could clear this up and propose a convincing roadmap for an independent Scotland.
But Mr Salmond doesn't really care about that.

Oddquine
25-Mar-13, 01:36
If you want Scotland covered in wind turbines then vote for independence.

Nah!..we vote for independence and then in 2016 vote for a party which sees windmills for the waste of space and money that they are....and coups the gravy train.

Oddquine
25-Mar-13, 01:43
Good Q's Duke.

Thing is, if the SNP were prepared to put thier cards on the table, they could clear this up and propose a convincing roadmap for an independent Scotland.
But Mr Salmond doesn't really care about that.

I should think if putting up a convincing road map was the criteria for caring...then the only entity in the UK which can put accurate cards on the table is the entity with all the figures at their fingertips......and I don't see Westminster playing any hand as yet..do you? Don't they care?

Phill
25-Mar-13, 01:50
then the only entity in the UK which can put accurate cards on the table is the entity with all the figures at their fingertipsAnd what are they saying?

MrChow
25-Mar-13, 09:53
www.yesscotland.net/thinkaboutit (http://www.yesscotland.net/thinkaboutit)

http://t.co/4aksndMi9R

MerlinScot
25-Mar-13, 11:04
Oh really? What is the point of this referendum then? There was me thinking it is down to the individual to choose, I just wonder how the SNP are going to make me vote for independence then !

There will be pre-polls in 2014. All the traitors (the ones who already decided to vote no) will be lined up and if they insist in voting no, therefore neglecting the chance to Scotland to be independent, they will enter a lager and forced to hard labour.
By September 2014, everyone will vote yes.
See cptdodger, simple as that. If you can't get something with the good manners, use the bad ones.

(Note: the post is intentionally silly ;) )

squidge
25-Mar-13, 12:09
Nobody is going to MAKE you vote Yes cptdodger. You will be able to find the things out that are important to you and make your own decision which way to vote.

cptdodger
25-Mar-13, 12:58
Nobody is going to MAKE you vote Yes cptdodger. You will be able to find the things out that are important to you and make your own decision which way to vote.

Not my words - Nicola Sturgeon's " She insisted that independence was not "optional" but "essential"."

And, to be clear, I made my decision years ago, I will never vote for independence. And being Scottish, that is what is important to me, remaining part of Great Britain.

Shaggy
25-Mar-13, 13:13
One issue i don't see being addressed is what will all the NO brigade do if Scotland does indeed obtain independance? will they up sticks and hot-foot it down south? will they be invited to leave or to stay? or will they sit at the back of the class/pub/theatre/footie match whatever and blow raspberries at the YES winners? i'm indifferent myself until i see a positive statement from both parties as to what will happen either way but in any case, i won't be going anywhere fast

cptdodger
25-Mar-13, 13:23
The one thing (at the moment) that would make me move is employment, or should I say the lack of it here. Now, that is regardless whether Scotland gains independence or not. The one thing that does bother me though is, I have a daughter and grandson, and another son, who once he graduates this year will be going back to England (again, due to lack of opportunities where he is studying) So, to be honest, I do not want to be in a separate country from my family. You can all speculate as to what will happen with border control, and of course the SNP will maintain that it will remain "open", however, they cannot speak as to what England will do. And that, is what concerns me.

Rheghead
25-Mar-13, 14:07
Nah!..we vote for independence and then in 2016 vote for a party which sees windmills for the waste of space and money that they are....and coups the gravy train.

Blah blah blah, history shows us from other countries that the party who campaigns for independence stays together after independence and always enjoys a considerable length of time in power after secession.

squidge
25-Mar-13, 14:44
Not my words - Nicola Sturgeon's " She insisted that independence was not "optional" but "essential"."And, to be clear, I made my decision years ago, I will never vote for independence. And being Scottish, that is what is important to me, remaining part of Great Britain.Nicola Sturgeon set out her opinion. She didnt say it had to be yours. You have your mind made up and thats fine. No one is going to MAKE you do anything you dont want to do. If you dont want an independent Scotland then you can vote NO.

One issue i don't see being addressed is what will all the NO brigade do if Scotland does indeed obtain independance? will they up sticks and hot-foot it down south? will they be invited to leave or to stay

No one is going to make anyone leave whichever way they vote. Stay or go its up to you too.

cptdodger
25-Mar-13, 15:44
No one is going to make anyone leave whichever way they vote. Stay or go its up to you too.

Where did I say they were ? I was born here, and regardless if Scotland gains independence or not, I have every right to live here for as long as I see fit.

squidge
25-Mar-13, 16:45
Where did I say they were ? I was born here, and regardless if Scotland gains independence or not, I have every right to live here for as long as I see fit.Trying to edit to put in paragraphs I managed to delete the quote. I have amended the post cptdodger. I love my iphone but its a pest on here

golach
25-Mar-13, 19:52
Trying to edit to put in paragraphs I managed to delete the quote. I have amended the post cptdodger. I love my iphone but its a pest on here
its a sorry person that blames their tools squidge [lol]

billmoseley
25-Mar-13, 20:34
As our house hold is most interested in public transport and education i would love to see figures as how they intend to fund these as both are almost bottom less pits.