PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Bannockburn Mark2

M Swanson
21-Mar-13, 18:28
So, the date for the Independence vote will be 18th September, 2014, to coincide with the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn. I wonder if the Scots will win this one too? :D

Gronnuck
21-Mar-13, 18:37
It depends on how you define 'win'. Some of us Scots would be happy to stay in the union, in fact most recent polls reflect this view.
The SNP were a handy addition when we all got fed up with Labour and didn't want the Tories so we chose an alternative, just like people in England dislike the Tories, don't want to trust Labour again so are looking at the alternatives which happen to include UKIP.

M Swanson
21-Mar-13, 18:52
Yes, my terminology was deliberately ambiguous, Gro. I suppose it will mean different things to different people, but for myself, I would be extremely disappointed for our countries to become separate nations. I can well understand disillusioned folks looking for an alternative from the current bunch of incompetents in the British party system. Much the same is happening south of the border, which explains why so many are throwing their lot in with UKIP. Whilst I hope SNP became popular on the strength of the protest vote and it will not be duplicated at the Independence vote, I hope the same doesn't apply equally to Mr Farage. We need liberating from the stranglehold of Labour and Tories, imo. Interesting times ahead, Gro.

Duncansby
21-Mar-13, 19:45
Wasn't Bannockburn in June?

cptdodger
21-Mar-13, 19:49
Wasn't Bannockburn in June?

23rd to the 24th of June 1314.

Duncansby
21-Mar-13, 20:05
I know, most medieval battles happened in the summer to take account of the agricultural calander

M Swanson
21-Mar-13, 20:12
Thanks Duncan. The significance of the 18th September, 1314, "is that Edward granted the passport and appointed commissioners to treat with the Scots."

Duncansby
21-Mar-13, 20:18
Aw I see, did not know that. Interesting.