PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installer

*Martin*
09-Jan-07, 15:41
Everytime I start my pc a windows installer appears which soon changes to SONIC UPDATE MANAGER. It doesn't matter if I click cancel or let it go ahead because it soon changes to a box saying

Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package UMI.MSI in the box below

and if you cancel it, it comes back in two minutes.

It has been like this since I downloaded an auto update 2 days ago.

blueivy
09-Jan-07, 16:32
Everytime I start my pc a windows installer appears which soon changes to SONIC UPDATE MANAGER. It doesn't matter if I click cancel or let it go ahead because it soon changes to a box saying

Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package UMI.MSI in the box below

and if you cancel it, it comes back in two minutes.

It has been like this since I downloaded an auto update 2 days ago.

Hi Martin,

I used to get this quite a lot with one particular application. The way to resolve it is to edit the registry.

Like all good Microsoft documents on editing the registry I need to say that you can stop Windows from working if you do the wrong thing in the registry so if you're not sure, don't do it.

First thing to do when the pop-up box comes up is highlight the path that is in the box and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C).

If you run regedit and go to Edit->Find. In the Find What box, paste in the path you copied above (Ctrl-V). Now click Find Next to find the text.

You'll probably find it in the left hand side window of RegEdit. If you look at the right hand side you will see a lot of what look like folders. The fodler you are in is 'open', all of the others are 'closed'. If you go up the chain from your open one until you reach a folder that is simply number/letters (will look like 5AF44321ECDB76 ....) then you need to back this up. Right-click it the folders whose name is numbers/letters, select Export and then select a location to save this key to. Once you've done that, right-click it and select Delete.

Note that you need to be careful which folder you delete. Make sure you only delete the one that contains the folder your text was found in. I can't stress this enough.

This can be quite tricky if you've never done it before. If you've used RegEdit before you'll be fine.

Get back to me if you have problems. Alternatively, I can do this remotely for you if you're not sure about it. PM me if you want me to do this.