PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the hunger...

elaine
08-Jan-07, 23:43
So I'm sitting every night with my newly stretched and enlarged belly wanting to chew my hands off. I'm. so. flamin'. hungry! Not one snack in the house - because so far, I've been pretty strict at the shops (different matter when the evening comes around!)
Tonight was a particularly bad one:

1. Depressed being back at work (comfort food needed)
2. Afore-mentioned large tummy which can NEVER be satisfied (FOOOOD!)
3. Freezing cold (WARM FOOOOOD!) hmmm those fingers look pretty good (good rhymes with food - AAAAAGH)

You see my problem.

Until........... I had a mug of BOVRIL (I was very desperate) OMG! Almost immediately my savoury craving was gone and it was warm! And the best thing ever - only 10 calories a mug - GET IN! Not had the stuff since I was a kid but now I can see it being a daily fix.

I can't be the only one in this pickle (mmmm pickle) can I?

How is everyone else warding off the pangs?

canuck
09-Jan-07, 00:03
Hang in there gal. You are not alone. A mug of hot water helps. It warms you up, fills you up and gives your hands something to do. Good luck.

DarkAngel
09-Jan-07, 00:09
Im the same on a detox and serious diet..Finding it hard with lots of christmas choccies and goodies left..I cant help but nibble.

Im great during the day with my diet, its a nite time and im watching tele..

canuck
09-Jan-07, 00:11
Hang in there all of you!

emb123
09-Jan-07, 00:22
I went from 13.5 stone to 9.25 stone (took a while, and I got hooked and found it difficult to stop). Only method that worked for me was to calorie count, weigh everything I ate and everything I drank that wasn't water or unsweetened black coffee.

What made it bearable however was eating even when I didn't feel hungry every two hours like clockwork. Basically 100 to 120ish calories every couple of hours with a larger meal twice a day (300-400 calories).

Mainly fresh fruit (not bananas very often) and fat-free yoghurt, porridge oats, dried fruit, canned fish, salad, stir-fries, lean turkey and chicken and rye crackers

My stomach was constantly processing food so I didn't ever feel particularly hungry although I never felt full. Never had any big meals, basically just loads of little ones. Seldom more than 1500 calories a day (I 'm male with a high metabolism, quite physically active and typically I can burn 3,300 calories on a normal day). The bulk fell away and I went through several clothes sizes very quickly.

It works - the calorie counting and weighing things is extremely tedious but if you get to last resort stage it'll do the trick, otherwise simply eating only sensible food in very small quantities very regularly, especially lots of fruit and veg, almost no fat and with sugar only in small quantities at a time will help. Plenty of fibre will help you to feel full as well. If you eat more than about 100 calories worth of sugar at a time you'll have craving salmost exactly 1 hour later.

Good luck! If you can remain focussed on how thin you intend to be you'll get there!

Wish
09-Jan-07, 01:18
I'm on day 4 of my "healthy eating" I don't like the diet word(lol) I'm doing ok, I am writing everything down that I eat and have so far avoided my weakness's ie crisps!

I have a lot of weight to lose so have accepted that its took me a lot of years to get this weight it aint gonna go overnight!

Good luck everyonex

htwood
09-Jan-07, 07:01
Mug of hot water or bouillion works wonders, helps warm me too. And 15 unsalted almonds is a good snack in mid afternoon, really satisfying.
Healthy eating is better idea than "diet" which makes us think we are depriving ourselves. I cant have crisps in the house, I would eat them immediately, so don't even tempt myself.

Best wishes to all of us for healthier eating in 2007. I canna say good luck, cuz it isn't luck, its the choices we make.

henry20
09-Jan-07, 09:44
Oh, Elaine, I knew someone would either take the 'Helping each other lose weight' thread back to the top or start a similar one - but only because I felt that it was going to be me :lol:

My exact comment was going to be:

So, hows everyone doing? I've succesfully managed to shift 1 stone!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, its from my plate to my waistline :(

Having managed to lose the weight before, I'm going back to my trusty method of noting every calorie I put in my mouth and going back to eating plenty salads - which I really do enjoy.

Hope everyone has great success (me included!!)

calish6
09-Jan-07, 10:21
Not a big fan of fuit and veg, but went to Tesco's and bought a blender (£15)and started making brilliant smoothies !

Simple really - Chop an apple, pear, apricots, grapes or any other ingredients - some natural yogurt and milk (I use soya-upset belly) whizz it up and chill. Mmmmmmm

It only takes 2 mins to prepare and make. Well maybe 3 - depends on yer skills for chopping up stuff.

Just don't put too many fruits in, otherwise it gets gloopy like porridge.

emb123
09-Jan-07, 10:25
Not a big fan of fuit and veg, but went to Tesco's and bought a blender (£15)and started making brilliant smoothies !

Simple really - Chop an apple, pear, apricots, grapes or any other ingredients - some natural yogurt and milk (I use soya-upset belly) whizz it up and chill. Mmmmmmm

It only takes 2 mins to prepare and make. Well maybe 3 - depends on yer skills for chopping up stuff.

Just don't put too many fruits in, otherwise it gets gloopy like porridge.
Sounds nice! Never got into smoothies as I got a juicer and it was a nightmare to clean so I didn't bother. Blender sounds a much better way of doing it.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Jan-07, 16:47
Best cure for the munchies....

Add one bowl
Add Porridge Oats
Wee teaspoon o sugar
Add some milk
Mix it aw up until its a gloop

Excellent

Some folk told me that it was called Brose.I call it DELICIOUS!!!:lol:

henry20
09-Jan-07, 17:21
Oh, I also forgot the key point to my losing weight - stay off beer and wine - not only are they ladled with empty calories, they definitely give me the munchies the next day!! So its T Total for me for a while! :eek:

connieb19
09-Jan-07, 20:22
I tried not bringing any chocloate into the house either, the other night I was craving it so much I ate the cats choc drops. :eek:

DarkAngel
09-Jan-07, 21:09
I tried not bringing any chocloate into the house either, the other night I was craving it so much I ate the cats choc drops. :eek:

Eugh..Connieb19!!! Im also trying desperately not to eat fatty foods BUT i have failed and ate a big bag of Kettle Chips...Now they are fattening!!! Will this extra layer of fat ever leave my body!!! :(

obiron
09-Jan-07, 21:19

yuk thats wanting choc a bit too much. was good and never took in choc of any kind either thou the tin o roses is calling eat me eat me.

golach
09-Jan-07, 21:36
Some folk told me that it was called Brose.I call it DELICIOUS!!!:lol:
An owld recipe for Oatmeal brose

A quantity of coarse oatmeal - with salt 'to taste' as they say - is placed in a bowl and boiling water poured over it.
The water must be boiling hard as it pours and there should be enough of it to just cover the oatmeal. A plate is immediately placed over the bowl like a lid. You now sit by for a few minutes, gloating. This is your brose cooking in its own steam. During this pause, slip a nut of butter under the plate and into the brose. In four or five minutes whip off the lid, stir the mass violently together, splash in some milk and eat.
Delicious

North Rhins
09-Jan-07, 21:38
This is a very old Hebridean recipe which may help stave off the hunger pangs. It is, however a dish which does take some forward planning.

Bring to the boil a large pan of unsalted water.
Add one medium sized stone and one Guga.
Boil until stone is soft.
Drain off water, throw Guga away and eat the stone.

I hope this has been off some help to you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/islandblogging/blogs/005176/0000007979.shtml:lol:

Billy Boy
09-Jan-07, 21:39
I tried not bringing any chocloate into the house either, the other night I was craving it so much I ate the cats choc drops.

:eek: lol now thats what i call desperation [lol]

johno
26-Jan-07, 01:31
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_80.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk696LDGB) hmmm, i reckon if i found something to eat that was just to big to go into my mouth i could easily lose weight.

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxmk696LDGB (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb112_ZNxmk696LDGB&utm_id=7920)

Lolabelle
26-Jan-07, 08:33
Oh am I glad to see I am not the only one. Struggling with this, that is. But even I draw the line a cat choclolates connie, but it made me laugh, and Dave reckons that I would eat them. Last night I was in a bit of a mood, so served up a Family Block of cadbury Hazelnut chocolate for tea.Not really that healthy. And not fair to my poor husband either.
But we had lamb chops & veg for breakfast. I thought I would automatically lose Kg's when I found I had coeliacs and had a restricted diet, but you can eat really faty foods like cream and cheese and butter. And any gluten free pre made breads and biscuits are full of fat and sugar to disguise the taste of lack of proper flour. :~(
So I almost have to be even more careful than ever and I have lots to lose!

connieb19
26-Jan-07, 10:43
I had a look on the Scottish Slimmers website for a bit of inspiration, bad move, they had members names like Burger king, Angel delight and Kit kat, all they were speaking about was take aways and sweeties, food food food!!! I was starving just reading the threads. :confused

ett23
26-Jan-07, 12:52
And the worst thing to do when you're trying not to eat naughty things like chocs and sweets and crisps is to turn on the tv. All the adverts are full of food you shouldn't be eating and even the sponsors of the programmes are chocolates or wine or other goodies that you're not meant to enjoy!!:lol:
Life is so tough when you're trying to lose weight. I did it last year - lost 1.5 stones and dropped 2 dress sizes. Now I'm back to old bad habits again - not good!:confused

peedie wifie
26-Jan-07, 13:49
I do think the trick to dieting is to keep busy - never really think about food when I'm at work but as soon as I get in the front door I'm hungry and from then on all I do is eat/nibble.

Keeping a diary of everything you eat certainly works - I was amazed at how much I really ate in a day.

I invested in a pedometer and now try to do around the recommended 10,000 steps a day - I go for a walk in the evening to reach my target instead of sitting at home in front of the tele with my crisps and chocolate.

Paul McKenna tells us we should eat what we want when we want ..... that's what made me plump in the first place!!!!!!!

danc1ngwitch
26-Jan-07, 20:10
lets enhance our better parts. Diet sucks. Many a bigger woman / man looks great, when they happy on the inside. x

brandy
26-Jan-07, 20:19
well as im the size of teh broad side of a barn at the moment.. couldnt really care about weight loss..
now loosing about a stone of baby would be great!
i cant even take a bath on my own now!
have to have hubby there so i can get out!
ill be 34 weeks tomorrow and baby is measuring 40 weeks..
so not at all comfy!
luckily i tend to loose about 2 stone within a couple of weeks of having babies.. i only tend to gain about a stone during preg. but have gained about a stone and a 1/2 this time.. but bub is huge!!
sobs ive hit 15 stone now!!
so when little one is out.. oh god.. please let it be sooner than later!!!
i should drop down some and then the running around after 3 under 4's should get me into shape again!!!
yippie!

danc1ngwitch
26-Jan-07, 20:23
good girl. All ma bitties workin good but i bleed real bad an was rushed back ta hospital few weeks after gettin home. So u take it easy. All the best.

Lolabelle
26-Jan-07, 22:52
:( Weighed myself this morning, very sad, I am staying the same weight. I cannot diet. As soon as I go on a diet I am instantly hungry. I agree with you peedie wifie, keeping busy is the way to go. But I do need to record what I am eating. Otherwise I have eating amnesia. I buy lots of good fresh fruit and veg, and then go down the shops for a chocolate, or have takeaway for tea as I am too tired to cook. And with coeliacs, the takeaway choices are limited to the most fattening stuff. Last night we had burgers and chips. I threw away the bread and ate the innards. It was ok, and just a few chips. I know I need to exercise, but just can't seem to find the get up and go to do it. It's so hot, you have to walk at about 5am to beat the heat, even the evenings are sweltering at the moment. Right, I am going to go for a half hour every day this week. No Matter What. Then I may see a result on the scales. Anyone with me???

jinglejangle
27-Jan-07, 00:15
well as im the size of teh broad side of a barn at the moment.. couldnt really care about weight loss..
now loosing about a stone of baby would be great!
i cant even take a bath on my own now!
have to have hubby there so i can get out!
ill be 34 weeks tomorrow and baby is measuring 40 weeks..
so not at all comfy!
luckily i tend to loose about 2 stone within a couple of weeks of having babies.. i only tend to gain about a stone during preg. but have gained about a stone and a 1/2 this time.. but bub is huge!!
sobs ive hit 15 stone now!!
so when little one is out.. oh god.. please let it be sooner than later!!!
i should drop down some and then the running around after 3 under 4's should get me into shape again!!!
yippie!

brandy - if you measuring 40 weeks maybe there is something wrong with your dates? surely the consultant must be looking closely at this to ensure you do not go too far over your date?

brandy
27-Jan-07, 10:01
nope nothing wrong with teh dates.. im diabetic.. so i have huge babies.
they are keeping a close eye on me though,
my diabetic dr called yesterday and she is going to talk to my gyn. on monday. i was just down to raigmore on tues. due to go back on the 6th.. but shes not happy with that.. as ive been feeling misreble..
shes thinking more along the lines of me being put in for bed rest until they can take the baby safley..

danc1ngwitch
27-Jan-07, 20:06
girl i sympathize wea u. It's not easy at best of times, but u must be feeling so tired. I wish u all the best. x for u and urs

lin
27-Jan-07, 20:40
Brandy, good luck with the baby, just put your feet up and relax. Keep us informed of whats going on.:)

Penelope Pitstop
28-Jan-07, 15:12

If you're desparate for a chocolate fix have a couple of squares of the 75% cocoa stuff. It is MUCH better for you than milk chocolate. Like red wine it's also an antioxidant!!!!!!!!!!.................no need to feel guilty there then!:Razz

Ricco
28-Jan-07, 17:23
Take up knitting.... with fresh spagetti. Then, if the baby can't wear it you can always eat it. ;)

canuck
28-Jan-07, 18:38
:( Weighed myself this morning, very sad, I am staying the same weight. I cannot diet. As soon as I go on a diet I am instantly hungry. I agree with you peedie wifie, keeping busy is the way to go. But I do need to record what I am eating. Otherwise I have eating amnesia. I buy lots of good fresh fruit and veg, and then go down the shops for a chocolate, or have takeaway for tea as I am too tired to cook. And with coeliacs, the takeaway choices are limited to the most fattening stuff. Last night we had burgers and chips. I threw away the bread and ate the innards. It was ok, and just a few chips. I know I need to exercise, but just can't seem to find the get up and go to do it. It's so hot, you have to walk at about 5am to beat the heat, even the evenings are sweltering at the moment. Right, I am going to go for a half hour every day this week. No Matter What. Then I may see a result on the scales. Anyone with me???

I am with you!!! Except that instead of 40degrees I have minus 20 degrees with snow to plow through. But I have been doing it most days for a month now. And it gets easier. Unfortunately the loosing part hasn't kicked in yet. Maybe another readjustment of the intake will help. I might try that oatmeal recipe. Good luck all.