PDA

View Full Version : My NHS preconceptions are seriously misplaced.

Rheghead
18-Feb-05, 19:38
I always thought (due to popular myth) that auxilliary NHS workers are underpaid and undervalued . But having seen an Aberdeen hospital porter scoop nearly 750,000 on an internet gambling site and he won't be giving up his job (I cannot fail to remember Jimmy Saville volunteering for portering as well), I am beginning to think I might be mistaken.

It seems nice people do get lucky breaks after all...

doreenhedgehog
18-Feb-05, 19:57
But he spent 20p of his wages?

George Brims
18-Feb-05, 23:37
I fail to see how the fact this guy has chosen to keep his job has any bearing on whether he and his co-workers are undervalued and underpaid, except that perhaps a better paid person might be able to retire early following a win of such a size.

I do hope he doesn't decide to spend it on an immediate holiday in "sunny" California. It's raining cats and dogs again.

Doolally
19-Feb-05, 12:23
I fail to see how the fact this guy has chosen to keep his job has any bearing on whether he and his co-workers are undervalued and underpaid, except that perhaps a better paid person might be able to retire early following a win of such a size.

Anyone could retire on that much money. Perhaps he should and being the nice person he is, give another person a much needed job.