PDA

View Full Version : to moan or not to moan

Fluff
08-Jan-07, 21:48
i need alittle bit of advice.

at work this evening i was sitting doing some work, when i heard one of my collegues near by talking. what he started talking about was extremly vulgar. i went over to them after about 10 mins and asked them not to talk about that on the shop floor incase a customer came by.
one of the guys said ok fair enough, sorry. but the main one couldnt understand why i was upset/offended. they way he saw it, noone was around.

i have made a few complaints about him in the past, he is genrally an ok guy, but takes converstaions too far sometimes.

i am pretty vocal at work, my boss normall knows when i am piveed off lol, but i dont want to seem like i am moaning or whinging.

any advice?

weeboyagee
08-Jan-07, 22:00
Tell him you are not happy with the subject material if it is vulgar. Tell him that if he doesn't quit it you will do something about it - unfortunately he may take the pinch and snub you or as some others do, not try and promote his case to others whilst demeaning you.

Either way you won't find it easy.

If he doesn't quit it, report it - if you are offended you can bet your bottom dollar that customers may and probably could be offended!

mareng
08-Jan-07, 22:15
i need alittle bit of advice.

at work this evening i was sitting doing some work, when i heard one of my collegues near by talking. what he started talking about was extremly vulgar. i went over to them after about 10 mins and asked them not to talk about that on the shop floor incase a customer came by.
one of the guys said ok fair enough, sorry. but the main one couldnt understand why i was upset/offended. they way he saw it, noone was around.

i have made a few complaints about him in the past, he is genrally an ok guy, but takes converstaions too far sometimes.

i am pretty vocal at work, my boss normall knows when i am piveed off lol, but i dont want to seem like i am moaning or whinging.

any advice?

You are working in the vicinity of customers........... don't wait until he drives all the customers away, and you (and your manager) are out of work.

If your manager doesn't seem like he will address it, tell him you will share your fears with his line manager........ that will usually re-focus his attention.

htwood
08-Jan-07, 22:32
No one should have to listen to vulgar talk. What does he mean, no one was around....YOU heard it, that's bad enough, let alone customers.

It's reasonable for you to make a legit complaint, both to the garbagemouth and your boss. Moaning implies complaining bitterly without cause; you have just cause, and I hope your boss supports you.

Silence is agreement with what's happening, so keep up the good work of speaking up against vulgarity.

emb123
08-Jan-07, 23:02
good for you.

It wouldn't hurt to tell him that you can hardly 'not hear' what he is talking about and that you personally find his choice of subject very poor taste and offensive. All it would need would be for a customer to complain and he'd be out on his ear, and if a customer shouldn't have to listen to offensive talk you're pretty sure you don't want to either.

Like children and animals, some people nudge and nudge to see just far bad they can get away with behaving before they get a clout. Something this guys parents should have done more often from the sounds of it.