PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus thread - apologies

maggie
16-Mar-13, 22:18
My apologies to whoever started the Cyprus thread. I accidentally deleted it when I was removing reported posts. No valid excuse, just a senior moment. Please repost and sorry again for any inconvenience caused.
Maggie

John Little
16-Mar-13, 23:25
A senior moment- but great power.

And 'Maggie' ? :eek:

Your second name doesn't begin with 'T' does it? :eek:

colingel
16-Mar-13, 23:42
Love anyone that can admit making a mistake !!!

Phill
17-Mar-13, 02:21
Will the EU admit to making a mistake having proposed to rob private bank accounts and renege on an insurance protection for those private accounts?

Who's next?
Is our cash safe?
Have they started a run on the banks that could see many people revert to keeping it in tins under the bed?
Creating a whole new tax avoiding black market?

Or is what they propose fair, we're all in this together?

ducati
17-Mar-13, 08:13
If you go to forn shores and take your cash you can only expect this, you can't trust forners :mad:

On a lighter note, I have a great investment idea. Just send a huge cheque made out to ducati and I'll tell you all about it. :D

Phill
17-Mar-13, 11:54
If you go to forn shores and take your cash you can only expect this, you can't trust forners

Interesting. Thing is 'We' are behind this. We being the democratic European Union, we are the forners. And the concern is what could they (We) do to the UK savers? (Which MP was telling us to be 'prudent savers', was it the submarine?)
I'm not talking about ex pats who have taken their cash with them, I'm talking about the normal Cypriot who has a few quid for a rainy day, or saving for retirement, kids education. A 7% hit is quite a chunk of 'tax', remember this has been fiddled to circumvent the laws protecting the first 100,000 Euros.

And what in a few months when the first bail out doesn't work and they need more cash, do they go again?

And this is potentially costing us too, the chancellor has agreed to compensate any UK staff based out there.

And again it's saving bankers who have colluded with criminals.

Gronnuck
17-Mar-13, 12:33
If Cyprus can do this, who next? Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece are all having difficulties.

Retread
17-Mar-13, 14:21
I am no fan of bankers but this is down to the EU surely ??

In an effort to shore up their crumbling limping dog of a currency they have stepped in to a democratic country and imposed their will. Just like they did in Greece by imposing a Government of their choice. Just like they do when a vote goes against them and they keep repeating the vote until the masses get it right when they dare to disagree with the EUSSR's choice of the way forward. And the Government SHOULD compensate the members of the Armed Forces and Government workers who have been hit with this tax as the Government put them there.