PDA

View Full Version : Poor grammar And this is written by a journalist.

2little2late
16-Mar-13, 01:33
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?199597-Fit-s-in-e-Groat-is-week
Very poor grammar especially from a journalist. Almost all of his reports have grammatical mistakes. Either typos or not very well educated being from Wick.
FEWER people may buses buses as a result of an impending five per cent increase in fares on Stagecoach services. John Green who chairs the Association of Caithness Community Councils, believes the move could have repercussions, though he added that the company has valid reasons for the increase.

secrets in symmetry
16-Mar-13, 01:41
That's a typo.

However, I agree that most of his posts are not well written. The post you quote is one of his better ones!

Mik.M.
16-Mar-13, 15:04
You can`t criticise Noel,all of his followers will jump down your throats,I should know,had it done to me. :D

2little2late
16-Mar-13, 20:34
I can criticise whoever I like.

aidipi
16-Mar-13, 21:43
Strictly speaking should that not be whomever!

Corrie 3
16-Mar-13, 21:48
Noel for Prime Minister is what I say!!!

*Martin*
16-Mar-13, 22:12
The title of this thread reeks of irony.

billmoseley
17-Mar-13, 11:04
does it matter too much about grammar at least we are communicating with each other

RagnarRocks
17-Mar-13, 11:10
does it matter too much about grammar at least we are communicating with each other Said the Sasquatch to the Neanderthal :0)

billmoseley
17-Mar-13, 19:52
Said the Sasquatch to the Neanderthal :0) you calling me a Sasquatch? :lol:

John Little
17-Mar-13, 20:34
you calling me a Sasquatch? :lol:Not yeti...

Neil Howie
17-Mar-13, 22:45
Either typos or not very well educated being from Wick.

It will be the former, but good to see pedantry alive and kicking on the internet.

George Brims
18-Mar-13, 19:28
does it matter too much about grammar at least we are communicating with each other
The problem Bill is that sometimes the grammar is so bad the meaning is unclear.

billmoseley
18-Mar-13, 20:02
The problem Bill is that sometimes the grammar is so bad the meaning is unclear. 9/10 we get the gist of what,s meant. i just think that we all communicate so well on here about numerous topics. 20 years ago it would have been unheard of. I wonder what percentage of people can now type as opposed to 20 years ago?

sids
18-Mar-13, 20:43
In your title, you have used a capital "A" in "And." That is poor grammar.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?199597-Fit-s-in-e-Groat-is-week
Very poor grammar especially from a journalist. Almost all of his reports have grammatical mistakes.

"Of" does not belong in that last sentence, if you meant there are mistakes in almost all the reports.

Either typos or not very well educated being from Wick.

You missed out the comma after "being," so it could mean Noel is a being who is not very well educated. That's poor punctuation.

gaza
18-Mar-13, 21:53
two mutch four mee too foolow.

catran
19-Mar-13, 18:04
me too,nought wrong with Noel's reporting. Grammar and English, does that really exist these days.?

Writings these days, sentences starting with But and If and And oh dear me and then the postophes all in wrong places plus commas everywhere and that is from allegedly professional writers. when in doubt leave it out so never mind Noel you are a busy man and we love your reports. I feel sure it is written in a hurry on many occasions and it is not a lack of education

George Brims
19-Mar-13, 18:45
9/10 we get the gist of what,s meant. i just think that we all communicate so well on here about numerous topics. 20 years ago it would have been unheard of. I wonder what percentage of people can now type as opposed to 20 years ago?
Depends on your definition of "type". I never learned to touch-type and still look at the keys most of the time. "Hunt and peck" they call it.
At one stage of my career I did a lot of computer programming. It used to be a matter of some pride among programmers that "A real programmer cannot touch type". I have worked with some programmers who would have been better if they had not been able to touch type. They were able to throw a lot of code at the machine without really thinking it through.