View Full Version : Additional cases from the justice of the peace court

15-Mar-13, 13:56
Trial collapses after fiscal depute reaches an impasse

IN one of the shortest trials ever to be heard at a Wick court, Latieshia Bremner was cleared of charges of assault and theft after her trial collapsed.
Bremner, had denied kicking and punching Debbie Larnach at their home in Macrae Street, Wick and stealing an iphone.
The first and only witness, Liam Robertson, was asked about the alleged events of October 8, last year, saying he was one of a group of people present in the house.
“Do you remember anything happening?” asked David Barclay prosecuting, at Wick Justice of the Peace Court, yesterday.
“No” replied Mr Robertson.
Mr Barclay: “Did anything out of the ordinary happen?”
Mr Robertson: “I can’t remember...I was drunk.”
In reply to further questions, he told Mr Barclay that he had drunk two or three litres of cider.
Mr Barclay continued: “I don’t wish to put words into your mouth but let me make this clear. It is your position that you don’t remember anything about what happened that day, because you drank two or three litres of cider. I could stand here, all day, asking you about that day aand you would still tell me-‘I was drunk’.
Mr Robertson: “Yes”
At that point the fiscal depute indicated he was no longer seeking a conviction and the charges against Bremner was formally found not guilty.”

Music was too loud

IN a separate case, police pulled the plug on Latieshia Bremner’s speaker system after she ignored three warnings to turn the volume down.
Bremner, 19, admitted causing a nuisance at her home on January 18, by excessive noise and failing to desist.
Mr Barclay, prosecuting, said that the accused had not sought recovery of the speakers.
Solicitor Neil Wilson explained that Bremner had perhaps had “a little too much to drink”. The case was continued for six months to allow her to demonstrate she can behave herself.

Driver shouted and swore in accident dispute

An accident dispute escalated and led to one of the two parties involved, shouting and swearing.
John Mackay, 64, admitted behaving in a threatening or abusive behaviour on the A99, near Toftcarl Farm, on July 29.
The trouble arose following an accident involving Mackay’s car and a cyclist. Both drivers were at odds over who was to blame.
Mr Barclay, prosecuting said that Mackay, of Stewart Crescent, Thrumster had been “too robust” in putting forward his point of view.

Store supervisor had previous convictions

A Ross-shire man, who failed to inform Highland Council about his past, in a licensing application, was fined 100.
Store supervisor Jason Young, 43, made no mention of the fact he had a criminal record when he submitted an application for a provisional licence, to the council’s licensing board, on October 10, last year.
Mr Barclay, prosecuting, made the point that the offence would have come to light anyway, as the board always runs checks on applicants, as a matter of routine.
Young, of Poulfalk Cottage, Rhynie, Fearn, pleaded guilty.

Broke window

A Thurso teenager who broke a window in a housing society’s building in the town, was said to have had no recollection of the incident because he had taken valium.
Student Thomas Deighan, 17, pleaded guilty to the vandalism and was ordered to pay the 75 cost of repairs.
The incident occurred on April 19, last year. Deighan, of Lord Thurso Court, Thurso, also admitted a record.

Van driver fined 400

A DRIVER who was clocked travelling at 80mph was fined 400.
Garry Wells, 5l, admitted the offence and a record. Police recorded his speed on the A99 at Hempriggs, on January 31, where the speed restriction for vans is 50mph.
In addition to the fine, Wells, of Dochfour Drive, Inverness, incurred five penalty points. This brings the number of points on his licence to eleven, one short of the total which attracts a compulsory ban.
In a separate case, an engineering student was fined 300 and incurred four penalty points when he admitted speeding.
Craig Harvey, of Hillside, Sarclet, was clocked at 91mph at Hempriggs on January 19.
The 20-year-old pleaded guilty to what was described as “uncharacteristic action”.