PDA

View Full Version : Defib training/defib equipment in Caithness

Dadie
15-Mar-13, 00:33
Is there defib cabinets available in community buildings (and where)?
And the training to use them accessible(where)?
Just wondering on the availability of these life saving machines as they give a better chance than chest compressions and breaths on life.

squidge
15-Mar-13, 00:34
Dadie .... questions about emergency childcare and Defib thingies - are you alright chuck?

Dadie
15-Mar-13, 00:43
emerg childcare was a slight issue before my back up childcare went out of country last year.....
As for defib emergency devices I think they are important as the area the ambulances are expected to cover and the waiting times for said ambulances if a real heart stopped emergency (my granny died from a heart attack so close to my heart) and there is media coverage over the defib equipment and the staying alive advert too....
defibs work better than chest compressions and breaths .......
And havent seen defib cabinets in the county just wondered if there were any and where!

joxville
15-Mar-13, 01:03
I've never used a defibrillator but on every first aid course I've done all the instructors have said they are fantastic pieces of equipment and so easy to use that more lives could be saved if more defib's were available. Schools, colleges, libraries and many other public places could have one, as well as businesses. Depending on where you live, especially if its a small rural community, then perhaps local fund-raising events could be held to buy one and for some people to be trained in its use.

Dadie
15-Mar-13, 01:14
Caithness is rural....hospital is CGH ...ambulances have over 50 miles as their "zone" by road .....yet where is the defibs?...and training in them...? so useful but underused and understanded...but if it saved your loved ones life you would understand!

joxville
15-Mar-13, 01:56
I fully understand your concerns regarding ambulances, my brother drives one in Kingussie. He told me they have an 8 minute target to reach a casualty, but it's almost impossible to hit that target. If he's in bed when he gets a call out, at best he can be dressed and in his ambulance in two minutes, so that leaves six minutes to reach the casualty, and if it's out on the sticks... :-(

Torvaig
15-Mar-13, 11:44
http://www.lucky2bhere.org/

Dadie, have a look at the above link re defibs.

There are lots of people now trained in using them and many clubs, pubs and suchlike now have them in their meeting places and there are many people trained and getting trained on how to use them; they are certainly life savers.

Also have a look at Heart Start Skye and possibly other links available on the related sites.

Torvaig
15-Mar-13, 11:49
I think I sent you a private message as well but things are going awry on the org just now and my memory is atrocious!

Dadie
15-Mar-13, 12:08
I hit the wrong channel to record one night on the TV.
Ended up watching the program last night.
It was about Fabrice Muamba (bolton wanderers footballer) who had a heart attack on the pitch.
And about how much more of a chance of survival you have if there is a defib .....
And it got me thinking ....do any of the pubs,clubs,village halls, schools etc in Caithness have one and people trained to use it?
Oh I also think children should get first aid training at school from an early age (age appropiate...you know the P1s learning about calling 999 and P6-7s learning CPR where the training should continue right through high school too).
There was a bit on the program about people collapsing on the street and bystanders walking past.Not helping.

Torvaig
15-Mar-13, 12:32
Sorry folks, I am getting notifications but cannot open them; will give the org a rest as I'm sure our leaders will sort it out eventually; must be very frustrating for them.

caithness sound & light
15-Mar-13, 15:40
Helen who used to run the training at T3UK has started up a new training centre at the back of the Thurso Cinema, Across from Ormlie Garage, I'm sure she would be able to sort you out with a training solution.

Torvaig
15-Mar-13, 17:42
Dadie, I hope you got the information of the group on Skye who have joined "HeartStart" and "Lucky2Bhere" after a friend of mine suffered a heart attack and was only saved by an ambulance passing the end of his road at the right time.

The aim of these groups is to have defibs accessible and trained people in schools, football clubs, shinty clubs, youth groups and swimming pools etc., and hopefully fatalities will continue to decrease.

Now that Ross is well again (although he still has a heart condition and is permanently monitored with a small implanted device) he has made it is mission to spread the word and training regarding using defibrillators etc., and many of them are now in place in Skye and the people trained to use them.

Torvaig
15-Mar-13, 17:44
Helen who used to run the training at T3UK has started up a new training centre at the back of the Thurso Cinema, Across from Ormlie Garage, I'm sure she would be able to sort you out with a training solution.

Seems like a good place to start......hope she is a member of the org!

newweecroft
15-Mar-13, 19:30
There is an NHS scheme called First Responders, this was being developed in lybster a few years ago but due to budget cuts the program was shelved half way through. I believe there is an operational program in thurso and also one in helmesdale.I for one would love to see such programs supported locally by perhaps HiE or the Wind farm community payments, I shall be bringing it up when the camster project is up and running.

Dadie
16-Mar-13, 00:44
If this thread is read and has got people talking about defibs and some defib machines are bought and training given in Caithness ...its worth it if it saves just one life in the lifetime of the defib machine......the wind mill funds sound like a great idea to get the ball rolling!
plus if it gets people thinking I can help rather than walk/drive on by in the face of an accident/illness etc on the street/roads etc so much the better.....even if its just phoning 999 ...better than nothing!
from a quick google search a defib machine costs less than a thousand quid.......whats a life worth?

joxville
16-Mar-13, 10:27
Dadie, perhaps raising an awareness program would help. Get in touch with local businesses, ask them to contribute to the cost of a couple that could be located at strategic locations, or get in touch with local Rotary clubs, the money they raise with their events could help purchase one. I'm sure there's more ways of getting funds to buy defib's and pay for training, but that's just two things to set the ball rolling. I commend you on highlighting the need for them.

Harpie
17-Mar-13, 16:10
There are First Responder groups operating in Thurso, Kinbrace and Helmsdale. They have equipment to respond to local emergencies while waiting for the ambulance service to arrive. They have defibrillators that have been supplied by the British Heart Foundation and in Kinbraces case have been purchased themselves raising the funds from local businesses.There is a program that is run all over the UK called Heartstart which focuses on helping a casualty that is unconscious but breathing, unconscious not breathing, choking and shock. There are Heartstart trainers in the area. In the schools kids are taught how to deal with these emergencies in p7 and also when they are 15yrs old. There are 2 ambulance service ladies who attend every school throughout the Highland region specifically to ensure that they have this training and it has been in place for over 11years. There has been a couple of attempts to put First Responder schemes in place in Lybster and Dunbeath in the last couple of years and this is being re-looked at in the near future.As mentioned on one of the other posts, it is a long way for emergency ambulance crews to attend to somebody with life threatening emergencies and intervention from somebody trying to maintain life until the professionals do arrive can only benefit the community. There is a full time trainer who is employed by the ambulance service who trains members of the general public, shop staff, and communities on basic life support and additionally defirillation in the Highland region

Beat Bug
17-Mar-13, 16:48
About 12 years ago, whilst living in Lincolnshire, I was a volunteer with L.I.V.E.S. (Lincolnshire Integrated Voluntary Emergency Service) It was the first of the First Responder units to be set up. Before a unit could be set up, funds had to be raised to buy equipment, and the volunteers needed to be trained. Each volunteer did their 'shift' at being on call, and many a time I was called out during the night. Mostly it was for cases of breathing problems, but on one occasion I had to use the defibrillator. Even though I'd had several years of training on these machines, it was scary using it for real. It would certainly be a comforting thought if here in Caithness we had First Responders in rural areas. They really are life savers! Would I volunteer again? Possibly.

Dadie
20-Mar-13, 23:53
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/oval-talk/rugby-player-saves-opponent-life-heart-stops-22-115654553.html

recent news!
hope the link works....
Its not just old people that have heart attacks.......where to start is the next question maybe donalsin diaries might do a "news report"?
Just highlighting the need for defibs....before people start questioning my state of mind (which is fine btw)
If just one community hall/pub/club/football group etc get a defib and training its a start and maybe others will follow ....

Fran
21-Mar-13, 12:27
Training isn't really required for the new defibs. A voice talks you through it giving easy to understand instructions,they are available at airports, football grounds etc but not here. Can be purchased on line. Would be a great fundraiser to do locally.

newweecroft
22-Mar-13, 16:19
Ask your local community council to buy one, its a better way to spend the wind farm community payments that they normally choose.

Dadie
28-Mar-13, 01:14
Am I allowed to just "Bump" ?
If not why does not the local allowed to report all news reporter not getting involved?
As he has had heart problems that touch wood are resolved now!......or since his problems are resolved its back to everyone to themselves...and the geographic restrictions and time restrictions on help are not great its not worth it?.....
In my book as long there is chance of life its worth it...........until advice otherwise......