PDA

View Full Version : Help with Advent Laptop

plumber
08-Jan-07, 14:21
I have an Advent Laptop, was wondering what I can clean the screen with.

_Ju_
08-Jan-07, 15:11
I use a soft unfluffy cloth (old cotton shirt/sheet or even underwear, preferably priorly washed! ;) ) just slightly dampened with water. There should be instructions with your computer, though...... do you also have a little boy with sticky fingers ?

plumber
08-Jan-07, 16:14
No, big boy with the sneezes

highlander
08-Jan-07, 16:17
I bought Allsop clearview gel monitor and tv screen cleaner, it was a bit expensive £12.99 from alcams, but it is brill at cleaning the screen.

j4bberw0ck
08-Jan-07, 16:35
Problem is not scratching the plastic - it's very soft - or using something with solvent in it that can attack it chemically.

I use a very light spray of window-cleaning solution - the Mr Muscle type stuff or Lidl / Somerfields own brand - the stuff that comes with vinegar in it. Spray the cleaner onto one of those "yellow dusters" - one that's been washed lots and has gone very soft - and wipe gently. If there's stubborn stuff on there, wipe it gently for longer and try a touch more cleaner, don't be tempted to press harder. Works fine, even for kids' sticky fingers, and doesn't leave faint, dried mineral deposits on the screen as I find happens with water.

I was once told spray polish is to be avoided as it often contains silicones, which can "creep" and get into places where you don't want them - like circuit boards, switches, screen contacts and so on. May be an urban legend, but......

emb123
08-Jan-07, 16:56
This is my field chaps, and all the advice above is correct. Allsop stuff is good but a bit pricey. Proper glass cleaner should be fine too. Must be used with the right (clean) cloth though. You can actually get some proper cleaning sprays but depending on how grimy it is, you shouldn't need it.

I would recommend a clean glasses (spectacles) cleaning cloth and your breath to moisten it. A micro-fibre cloth such as is suitable for glasses would be fine.

Such cloths should not be used on bone dry surfaces - the (clean) cloth itself won't cause damage/scoring but small particles already on the screen can. Breathing heavily on the surface immediately prior to and during cleaning should be sufficient.

If you really need a liquid, then water (preferably purified) or better still, a mild detergent+alcohol based cleaning agent such as would be supplied for cleaning tape/video/dvd heads/lenses (mix of purified water, detergent and isopropanol) would be all you really ought to need (or at least all you ought to risk using!).

Absolutely don't press hard or very specifically in any small section or you could cause damage and pixel loss.

Much dirt would mean much time scrubbing gently with a mild solution such as above rather than a brief time using a stronger detergent and more pressure.

Avoid polish of any sort. There is usually a coating on these displays and once you're got polish on it, it tends to smear and it's a devil of a job getting the polish off again.

Good luck :)

bobbyjoeufb
08-Jan-07, 19:12
I recently bought one of these to clean my lcd monitor and tft laptop screen. Works really well no streaks or stains!

http://www.aria.co.uk/productinfocomm.asp?ID=21742&SpecialStatus=1

Elastic anti-static brush cleans dust and dirt effectively

Drip-free cleaning solution wont hurt LCD coating

Special micro fiber material is capable to prevent panel scratch and enhance performance of cleaing fuction

Remove dust and fingerprints without streak, drip, cotton and stain.
Only £3.23

paris
08-Jan-07, 20:34
do you think baby wipes would be ok to use . jan x

emb123
08-Jan-07, 21:06
do you think baby wipes would be ok to use . jan x
at a push maybe but not on a regular basis. The stuff they're made from could be a bit coarse (although some of them are a paper and others are some sort of polymer I think) and I have no idea what is in the detergent in baby wipes but it takes ages to get off when I use them to clean the inside of my windscreen :)

I wouldn't recommend them as a suitable cloth won't cost much - Lidl sometimes do good-sized glass cleaning cloths for and 89p or thereabout I think. A micro-fibre cloth and a teeny bit of fairy liquid (or equivalent) diluted in an eggcup with a little bottled water would probably be much better. You don't want to saturate anything for obvious reasons.

Would also be a good idea to flat the screen flat on a surface so you're not trying to support the screen and clean it at the same time.

mareng
08-Jan-07, 22:06
[QUOTE=j4bberw0ck;179714]

I use a very light spray of window-cleaning solution - the Mr Muscle type stuff or Lidl / Somerfields own brand - QUOTE]

Mr Muscle is much too agressive for TFT screens.

In the absence of "Mrs Muscle", can I suggest using "Mr Sheen"? He is the "New Labour" version of the "Hawkish" Mr Muscle.

"Babywipes" will have lanolin or something other "bottom-soothing" (I think j4berw0ck uses it after a long day in the saddle) in it that isn't good for vision

j4bberw0ck
09-Jan-07, 01:08
Mr Muscle is much too agressive for TFT screens.

In the absence of "Mrs Muscle", can I suggest using "Mr Sheen"? He is the "New Labour" version of the "Hawkish" Mr Muscle.

Ah, but Mr Sheen is full of silicones......... and no vinegar at all....... typically of New Labour, he promises a clean job and then ends up in all the places he's no right to be........

"Babywipes" will have lanolin or something other "bottom-soothing" (I think j4berw0ck uses it after a long day in the saddle) in it that isn't good for vision

Well, it's true. But RT riders only need the lanolin after a 600 mile day; GS'ers after 400 miles, and BoxerCup riders just have to keep a boxfull stuffed down the back of their authentic leather pants full-time. It's the riding position, see - upright on the RT and ass-in-the-air on the BoxerCup. Tough on the gonads :lol::lol:.

j4bberw0ck
09-Jan-07, 01:44
It's the riding position, see - upright on the RT and ass-in-the-air on the BoxerCup

Check it out - the torture device on the left with the box in the air and the haemorrhoid-sealing exhausts under the seat . Is it any wonder lanolin is so highly prized? :lol:

http://usera.imagecave.com/blackal/ResizeofMosel.JPG

canuck
09-Jan-07, 01:57
Forget the bikes and the lanolin issue, where is that beautiful village?

As for the computer screen, my computer guy suggested the spritzer stuff one buys for eyeglasses.

mareng
09-Jan-07, 05:35
Village is in the Mosel valley in Germany. Can't remember the name, unfortunately.

mareng
09-Jan-07, 06:05
J4bberw0ck - will a "very light spray of window-cleaning solution " work for those more stubborn marks like shown below?

(Stubborn "Marks" are always a problem) Tee-hee!

http://usera.imagecave.com/blackal/MISC/babywipe.jpg

j4bberw0ck
09-Jan-07, 09:23
Excellent, mareng! I give in, I submit, you win.......:lol:

The rules on word masking and swearing prevent me making the sort of reasoned and reasonable reply I had in mind.......... http://www.teddies.be/Forum/images/smiles/icon_rofl.gif

I think I probably owe you a pint now!