PDA

View Full Version : Jim Baxter Bridge for Wembley?

cullbucket
18-Feb-05, 09:39
Got this on an email this morning - might be good fun to see if we can hijack this vote....

Anyone got 30 secs to vote for the name 'Jim Baxter Bridge'.....

Nothing ventured nothing gained. ...see below.

The London Development Agency are currently asking for people to vote on
the name of a new foot bridge on the site of the new Wembley Stadium.
The name has to be something significant to Wembley's past.

The Tartan Army are looking to hi-jack the naming, by voting for Jim
Baxter on the below link. Reason being his keepy-uppy routine in 67'. A
legitimate reason for voting for him is that he is already in the
Wembley Hall of Fame.

Please pass this email on to as many people as possible. Imagine, a
Scottish legend immortalised on the site of the new English national
stadium!

http://www.lda.gov.uk/server.php?show=ConForm.9

There is some more info on the BBC Website.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/4274777.stm

Doolally
18-Feb-05, 16:11
I've contributed to the Jim Baxter list! :D

2little2late
18-Feb-05, 16:39
I've contributed to the Jim Baxter list! :D

Me too :D :D

johndy
18-Feb-05, 18:44
Me Too :D

Rheghead
18-Feb-05, 18:51
Me too :lol: :evil

doreenhedgehog
18-Feb-05, 18:53
I've voted, but it's a waste of time - it ain't gonna happen no matter how many votes Slim Jim gets!

What an own goal it would be for them to celebrate one of their greatest humiliations in this way. World Cup winners first defeat at Wembley and to the Auld Enemy? No chance! About the same chance as celtic FC renaming a stand The Ally McCoist stand or something!!

DrSzin
18-Feb-05, 19:07
I can think of worse, how's about a stand at Celtic Park named after Mo Johnston?

Anyway, Slim Jim needs a bit of competition, so I voted for King Kenny.

Rheghead
18-Feb-05, 19:12
Anyway, Slim Jim needs a bit of competition, so I voted for King Kenny.

Typical! The English have always managed to divide and conquer the Scots :D

Sandra
18-Feb-05, 19:16
I've voted, but it's a waste of time - it ain't gonna happen no matter how many votes Slim Jim gets!

What an own goal it would be for them to celebrate one of their greatest humiliations in this way. World Cup winners first defeat at Wembley and to the Auld Enemy?

I am Scottish, and must say I find the 'racism' towards the English terrible. Especially when you see these numpties who crawl out of the woodwork for sports events, supporting Germany or Argentina (for example) against England.

Total embarrassment.

Gee I don't know, another way to get one over on the Auld Enemy eh? Well if it makes you happy!!!!!!

Seems 'racism' comes in all forms!!!!

doreenhedgehog
18-Feb-05, 19:19
Two different things hating the English, and wanting your OWN country to beat them at sport. ;)

Sandra
18-Feb-05, 19:38
If you win the shirt, can I have it please LOL :D

fred
18-Feb-05, 20:28

What an own goal it would be for them to celebrate one of their greatest humiliations in this way. World Cup winners first defeat at Wembley and to the Auld Enemy?

I am Scottish, and must say I find the 'racism' towards the English terrible. Especially when you see these numpties who crawl out of the woodwork for sports events, supporting Germany or Argentina (for example) against England.

Total embarrassment.

Gee I don't know, another way to get one over on the Auld Enemy eh? Well if it makes you happy!!!!!!

Seems 'racism' comes in all forms!!!!

There is a difference between racism and patriotism.

It's the same as the difference between democracy and mob rule :o)

scotsboy
19-Feb-05, 05:27
Pathetic narrow minded idea from the brainless Tartan Army :roll:

Brizer2k2
19-Feb-05, 11:20
Me too..................why not? after his wonderful performance and keepy uppy in front of the World Champions in '67 :D

golach
19-Feb-05, 11:33
Me too, I'm pathetic, narrow minded, and brainless so that makes me a Patriot LMAO

Golach

Rheghead
19-Feb-05, 13:51
I am English and I voted for Jim Baxter, what does that make me, a traitor? :)

golach
19-Feb-05, 14:29
I am English and I voted for Jim Baxter, what does that make me, a traitor? :)
No way Rheghead......that makes you one of the enlightened people, an endangered speices [lol]
Golach

chessor
19-Feb-05, 14:35
I've ventured too...so lets hope we gain. :lol:

Zael
19-Feb-05, 14:37
I dont see how this is racist at all, ok it involves 2 nations, but its more akin to putting "Jedi" on your census form. At least there is a genuine reason for this guy and we're not all voting to call it the "Obi Wan Kenobi Bridge".

lasher
19-Feb-05, 14:55
Pathetic narrow minded idea from the brainless Tartan Army :roll:

Bit of a cheek calling yourself scotsboy then saying that about some of the most well behaved football fans in the world, unlike the england supporters who cause trouble wherever they go!

Rheghead
19-Feb-05, 15:03
Err..um...I still have fresh memories of the tartan army trashing the goal posts at Wembley,but I don't think for one second that all tartan army foot soldiers condoned that action...

Sandra
19-Feb-05, 16:44
..... then saying that about some of the most well behaved football fans in the world, unlike the england supporters who cause trouble wherever they go!

Here we go again...... generalising...... it's not all England supporters who cause trouble wherever they go.... it's a small mindless minority who probably aren't even football supporters at all, who don't care about the team, and are just out for the violence and thereby spoiling it for all.

This is usually the case with most teams, so it's not just isolated to the England national team, all teams (international and league) have this element...... just go to an old firm derby and you'll see what I mean!!!!!!

So why don't you get your facts right, for a change!

Drutt
19-Feb-05, 17:55
...... just go to an old firm derby and you'll see what I mean!!!!!!
Having lived very close to Ibrox stadium and to Celtic Park (during which time my street was once closed off by riot police), I absolutely agree with you.

Thuggish, intimidating hooliganism is not limited to English football supporters, by any means.

2little2late
19-Feb-05, 18:34
In the name of friendly rivalry lets just proceed with the original message in this post.

After all, if it was the other way round and a part of Hampden was going to be named afetr a class footballer don't you think the English would do what we are doing?

The bridge won't be named after Jim Baxter in a hundred years, but at least let's give the English F.A. something to think about. It will be interesting to see who it is named after. As long as it is named after a world class player and not some over hyped, over paid average player like Beckham.

doreenhedgehog
19-Feb-05, 19:13
That's right - it's just a bit of light-hearted fun, but it'll never be allowed to happen.

English supporters have a bad reputation due to a minority thug element.Like all nations Scotland has a minority of idiot fans as well. They don't cause riots etc. but they get drunk and make a nuisance of themselves in other ways.

Who will the bridge be called after though? My money would be on Bobby Moore, captain of their World Cup winning team.

DrSzin
19-Feb-05, 20:36
Yeah, I would bet on Bobby Moore too, but my recent record of footie bets is abysmal, so I shall refrain. It's just as well I didn't bet aginst Man U today as I was tempted to do. :eyes

As for the bridge, I think they should call it Wayne. Or perhaps Michael if they build more than one. ;)

golach
19-Feb-05, 20:39
Who will the bridge be called after though? My money would be on Bobby Moore, captain of their World Cup winning team.

Ehhmmm what year was that again???? [evil] :eyes :eek:

doreenhedgehog
19-Feb-05, 20:42
Let's just say - the year before the Baxter masterclass!

Jim Baxter rightly said that we were then the unofficial World Champions because we were the first to beat them. Well, it's the closest we'll ever come to being World champions!

Sandra
19-Feb-05, 21:07
It could be Alf Ramsay, Geoff Hurst or even Jules Rimit from that era, but as it was before my time, I'd vote for Bobby Robson or Gary Linekar.

DannyThe Manny
20-Feb-05, 21:08
Having just seen the news and found that the latest Beckham offspring is going to be called Cruz, can I hope that the votes are for anybody but the unfortunate child's father?

squidge
21-Feb-05, 11:11
jim baxter

Who?

Drutt
21-Feb-05, 11:14
jim baxter

Who?

Haven't a clue, squidge, although I used to have a lecturer called Jim Baxter. In my day he was just a freaky Freud-lover. Apparently with current students he's acquired the nickname Badger Baxter on account of the characteristics of his moustache. I'm presuming they're different Jim Baxters, but who knows?

~~Tides~~
22-Feb-05, 17:54
I passed it on to all the football types in my address book. Should be another 40 names added! :D

cullbucket
28-Feb-05, 18:15
Looks like we are top of the poll - its even got to parliament - -thanks to everyone who voted....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4304259.stm

2little2late
28-Feb-05, 22:44
And I'll bet all those that voted for the Jim Baxter bridge won't even go into the draw. But then would we want to win it anyway?

If Slim Jim did win the vote the they would have to name it after him wouldn't they?

After all, the vote is for the most popular name isn't it? Keep on voting and let's pass it on to all our friends to vote aswell.

There's nothing better than getting one over The Auld Enemy.

Naefearjustbeer
28-Feb-05, 23:50
It was mentioned on the news tonight about the Tartan Army hijacking the vote LOL!!

itsmeamonatlast
01-Mar-05, 13:03
I agree it should be called the Jim Baxter bridge for what he did to the English in '67.

Rheghead
19-Apr-05, 13:09
Does anyone know the outcome of this vote?

Donnie
19-Apr-05, 14:48
Does anyone know the outcome of this vote?

It says on the site that a short list will be created on the 13th of May. You can get more info from the link below. I'm not sure if there is going to be a second stage of voting.

http://www.lda.gov.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.880