PDA

View Full Version : Decades of Diplomas

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-Jan-07, 01:48
The fifties was the beginning of rock'n'roll.The sixties,flower power,the Beatles and the Stones.The seventies,glam rock,the tartan troosers of the Bay City Rollers,the nappy pin through the nose for the Sex Pistols.The eighties the new romantics,guys in Miami Vice suits.The nineties,guys in baggy jeans wi smiley faces on their T-Shirts going A---c---eeee-dddd.Dancing for their lives in any rave joint that happened to be there,wi boys bands takin over wi all the guitar groups coming through to take us into the 2000's and on.

This isnae a music thread.Ma favourite decade was the 80's where ye bought a Wagon Wheel biscuit that lasted ye a fortnight.Listened to music that was so much better than days gone by,comedy programmes that made ye laugh yer heid off again and again.Bought 20 pink shrimps and a bottle of ginger and still had enough for a cone wi the change.

Going to the cinema and managing to see the picture plus yer popcorn for less than a pound.So if I could hand oot a diploma for a decade......I'd gie it to the eighties.

Jeemag_USA
08-Jan-07, 01:54
I can relate to the Wagon Wheel thing, although I ate most of mine in the seventies, when later in life I wondered did the Wagon Wheel get smaller, or did I get bigger?

But apart from that music-wise, the eighties was the worst decade ever, I did like some of it but on the whole its best forgotten :)

I loved the seventies!!!!!! :cool:

canuck
08-Jan-07, 01:59
The 60s, one must vote for the 60s.

Oddquine
08-Jan-07, 02:01
My favourite decade was the sixties..........because for most of it, I was footloose and fancy free, I could buy single cigarettes and a match at the corner shop and big lucky tatties with a wee charm inside....plus the music has never been bettered, in my opinion.

And Jeemag, Wagon Wheels have definitely become smaller!

Jeemag_USA
08-Jan-07, 02:11
My favourite decade was the sixties..........because for most of it, I was footloose and fancy free, I could buy single cigarettes and a match at the corner shop and big lucky tatties with a wee charm inside....plus the music has never been bettered, in my opinion.

And Jeemag, Wagon Wheels have definitely become smaller!

HA HA I thought it wasn't my imagination. By the way I was still buying single cigarettes from Cardosi's and the ice cream vans in Thurso in the 80's ;) And it was King Georges cigarettes, hideously disgusting and likewise cheap!

My mither always reminds me that my grannie used to buy Woodbines in packs of five :lol:

changilass
08-Jan-07, 03:19
Thank goodness someone else remembers the lucky tatties with the charms in - started to think I was imagining them. Didn't they ban them due to the risk of choking??

JAWS
08-Jan-07, 04:21
Five Woodbines, those were the days! I had to laugh last year when a woman tried to claim that her husband, in the 1970s, didn't know smoking was bad for your health.
Woodbines were almost universally known as "Coffin Nails" at least 20 to 30 years before the 70s and I don't think that was because folks thought they were beneficial to your health!

I go back to before Bill Hailey and "Rock Around the Clock!". I can remember when "Skiffle Groups" were going strong in the 1950s.

I don't really have a particular Decade I prefer because each one has it's ups and downs. The extremes of "Punk" I never could stand but Pop Music goes in cycles. There are periods when it is fresh and exciting, there are periods when it id tolerable and then there are periods when, quite honestly, it would be better if it had gone straight into the rubbish bin and never been allowed to escape. At those times I can only describe it as "Bland".

The biggest "Culture Shock" was definitely the Fifties when, apart from the young, nobody knew what had hit them. It's hard to imagine or describe unless you actually saw it. "Punk" tried to have the same effect, but failed miserably, although once it got away from that attempt it produced some decent music.

The late Sixties into the first half of the Seventies was when it had the biggest Social Effect, there are not many times when Music takes such a grip on a generation. (At least I think it was the Music [lol] )

I think the best periods are when the Music Industry is “following” rather than trying to “create” music trends for the youth of the day.

Metalattakk
08-Jan-07, 06:24
Isn't everyone's favourite decade the one they were growing up in?

I was growing up in the '70s. Quo, Sabbath, Led Zep, Deep Purple and the devastating split and formation of Rainbow. Man, were we surprised at that one (and more surprised when they managed to make a right good go of it too!)

Hiding behind the settee peeking out at Tom Baker's Dr Who, battling the Cybermen, Pan's People on Top Of The Pops, ABBA, T.Rex, Terry Jacks, Paper Lace ("Billy Don't Be Hero"!!) and The Sweet. Carry-On films, Inspector Clouseau, tank-tops and flares. Kevin Keegan and Alan Rough - perm-tastic! Old Grey Whistle Test, 'Fluff' Freeman, and Terry Wogan playing Thin Lizzy on Radio 2. 30 years later and he's still at it!

But, as I said, there's no 'best' decade. Everyone will pick the one they were growing up in. It was the '70s for me.

Oddquine
08-Jan-07, 11:53
Thank goodness someone else remembers the lucky tatties with the charms in - started to think I was imagining them. Didn't they ban them due to the risk of choking??

They did................after all, those who bought them had no idea that there were wee charms in them, and would almost undoubtedly be stupid enough to swallow them and choke. :roll:

The nanny society hasn't just appeared...........it's been with us a long time! [disgust]

Errogie
09-Jan-07, 14:01
What was a Tobermory Tattie actually made of?

I can remember the brown dust they were coated in and trying to clean up and work out what the plastic object was that you'd come across in the middle. They weren't round like a tattie but sort of flat more like a burger.

Then there were cow toffees by Cowans witht the green spangled wrapper and they really bulged your cheek and stopped verbal communication. But hey Mars bars are bigger but more expensive.

Errogie
09-Jan-07, 14:16
O.K. We've had the roaring 20's, the swinging 60's, and the naughty 90's.

What on earth are we going to call the two thousands because it doesn't exactly trip of the tongue and we're more than half way through them and I'm anxious to know what trend or zeitgeist I may be missing out on before it's passed me by!

johno
09-Jan-07, 15:15
The 60,s i liked best, Four gallons of petrol for a pound, But the old Ford 100e only did about 12or 14 mpg about the town. 4 spark plugs a filter and a gallon of oil for about two & half quid. I remember the wagon wheels, they were threepence & they were big then one day out of nowhere they had shrunk to halF the size, but that was in the late 50,s & smiths crisps at fourpence a bag. i was addicted to the oxo flavoured ones. threepenny bag of chips from houstions & a bob to get into the dukes at the pavilion with john iron fist standing at the door making sure you behaved yourself. :roll:

Buttercup
09-Jan-07, 16:56
Definately the 60's. Music was at it's best then too.
3d for a bag o' chips from Brass's and you'd get a bag o' crispies for nothing, really unhealthy but boy did they taste good ~ what do they do with them nowadays?
9d to get into the pictures on a Saturday morning for the children's matinee, but it jumped to 1/6 if you went in the afternoon!
Do we consider our favourite decade the "best" because it actually was? ~ Or was it the "best" because we were young and carefree at that time and a bill was something only your parents had to worry about? :confused

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Jan-07, 17:09
Was conceived to The Beatles 'Revolution',so my mither said.Was born on the day that Marc Bolan was No.1 wi 'Get it on'.Danced at my first Christmas Party to Slade's 'Merry Christmas Everybody'.Had ma first snog to George Michaels 'Careless Whisper'.Had ma first blessing of ma music taste wi Live Aid wi U2 singing 'Bad' then the young guns getting blown oot the water by Mercury at around 6pm.

First action to 'She moves through the fair'All About Eve, wi a Wagon Wheel for afters.First rave in Airdrie wi the song 'James Brown is Dead',this was curious because this was written long before we lost the great man of soul this year.

A lot of decades,a lot of laughs I've had,thought it would be Errogie don't know why.What will we all call the 2000's,what diploma will we say.The 00's,ye cannae call it that,cos all the oldies born in 1900 will be saying,"Hey ye young scallywhallies yer nicking oor decade".

For all ye orgers born in the 1800's who are saying to the 1900's ones saying"Hey ye young scallwhallies yer nicking oor decade",yer ghosts and I'm no gonnae do a Haley Joel Osmond for ye:lol: :lol:

Cattach
09-Jan-07, 17:16
Wagon Wheels - remember when they first came out. You had to collect wrappers to get a jigsaw of a stage coach and horses. In the 50s I guess.
Of course the decade to be a teaenager in was the 1960s - the permissive 60s. Being a student then was an amazing experience full of fun. If you were not there you will not be able to appreciate the vibrant life experiences!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Jan-07, 17:23
Wagon Wheels - remember when they first came out. You had to collect wrappers to get a jigsaw of a stage coach and horses. In the 50s I guess.
Of course the decade to be a teaenager in was the 1960s - the permissive 60s. Being a student then was an amazing experience full of fun. If you were not there you will not be able to appreciate the vibrant life experiences!!

Had a vibrant life experience in 1992.Could have been a 60's moment though.When a full grown man was called a Tractor,never forgot about it.Still to this day!!!! :lol: