PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Chips?

M Swanson
11-Mar-13, 11:03
Is what's happening at the Drax power station in Yorkshire, the right way to go? Yet again, scientists and 'experts,' do not seem able to agree, so what chance do the rest of us have? Not surprisingly, the EU has imposed its' rules on us.

Does replacing coal with wood pellets really save millions of tons of CO2 going into the atmosphere? Not according to Friends of the Earth, or Sir David King, who believe that felling millions of acres of American forests to turn trees into chips and then transporting them to Britain will make any significant net reduction in carbon emissions.

I wonder who will be footing the huge bill for the vast subsidies going to Drax? Not us, is it?

Flynn
11-Mar-13, 11:47
Wood and biomass pollute a lot less than coal, oil, and gas because they are not fossil fuels. The amount of CO2 released is equal to the CO2 absorbed while the tree/biomass was growing, so there is no increase in atmospheric CO2 when they are burned. It is transporting the fuel to the power station that will cause the pollution.

M Swanson
11-Mar-13, 13:03
Thanks Flynn. That does seem to be one side of the argument, but the more I read the more arguments I find. At the moment, the only thought I really have, is that I wish we were out of the EU, leaving our scientists and government free, to decide which course to take. I recently read this:-

'Germany, which already has five times as many wind turbines as Britain, is now desperately building 20 new coal-fired stations in the hope of keeping its lights on. The first, opened last September, is already generating 2,200 megawatts; nearly as much as the average output of all of Britain’s wind farms combined.
China, already the world’s largest CO2 emitter, is planning to build 363 more coal-fired power stations, without any heed of the vast amount of emissions they’ll produce.
India is ready to build 455 new coal-fired power stations to fuel an economy growing so fast that it could soon overtake our own.'

Are these the facts?

Rheghead
11-Mar-13, 18:20
Does replacing coal with wood pellets really save millions of tons of CO2 going into the atmosphere? Not according to Friends of the Earth, or Sir David King

Does this mean you are now taking heed to every word that Sir David and FoE now say?:roll:

M Swanson
11-Mar-13, 18:24
Indeed, I am not Rheg, which is why I invited opinions from all, in question form. The thing is, are the facts as stated true, or false?

Rheghead
11-Mar-13, 18:27
Indeed, I am not Rheg, which is why I invited opinions from all, in question form. The thing is, are the facts as stated true, or false?

Well I believe the coal power plants in Germany that you mention are not just any old coal power plants, they are CHP plants.

M Swanson
11-Mar-13, 18:30
And these plants would be an option for us, Rheg?

Rheghead
11-Mar-13, 18:35
And these plants would be an option for us, Rheg?

Most certainly. It is a better use of the energy which is locked in the coal.

M Swanson
11-Mar-13, 18:39
Right! Thanks for the info, Rheg. I'll now resume my research. :)