PDA

View Full Version : Cruden homes?

Angel
10-Mar-13, 13:12
I was speaking to a neighbour yesterday who told me her mother used to live in the house I own. She also told me it was a Cruden house. When asked what she meant by that she could not answer.
Does anyone know what a Cruden home is. Not even sure if it is spelt right.
Is it the design or maybe the builders name.
My house is in Halkirk if that helps...

Thank you in advance...

Angel...

annemarie482
10-Mar-13, 13:25
I've heard of a dorran (prefabricated concrete house) but not sure of what a cruden is unless its another name for the same thing?

M Swanson
10-Mar-13, 13:29
Cruden Homes are a firm of builders, particularly in the North East of Scotland. Hope this link helps, Angel.

http://www.cruden-ltd.co.uk/homes

embow
10-Mar-13, 13:38
Crudens had lots of Caithness contracts in the 1950's for the then Caithness County Council rather than for either of the two town councils of Wick and Thurso. As the old jingle of the time went -

"Crudens' men came ower the glen, One in ten were working men!"

Harsh and untrue by the way. ;)

annemarie482
10-Mar-13, 13:40
Ah just googled, they are a type of house that was only built in Scotland, built in the 1940/50's. usually a steel framed semi detached or terraced house. The external walls are generally clad in concrete panels tied to the steel structure.

jacko
10-Mar-13, 14:39
i think some of the Seaforth Avenue houses in Wick are Crudens .

golach
10-Mar-13, 16:05
Numbers 1 to 8 Clett Terrace Scrabster were Cruden built I believe

joxville
10-Mar-13, 16:23
Cruden built crudely built!

Angel
11-Mar-13, 00:01
Thank you peeps... and the link M Swanson...

Angel...

stewart4364
11-Mar-13, 10:24
Numbers 20 t0 32 Braal Terrace in Halkirk are Crudens and were built around 1947/8. I lived in a newly built one with my parents from 1948. The house remained in the family until the late 1990's. Springpark Terrace houses in Thurso are also Crudens. The houses,I believe, were to have a lifespan of about 30 years but in the early 1970's major works were carried out on the houses in Halkirk. The houses had an extra wall built round them consisting of blocks laid on their side giving them a thickness of about 9" for the ground floor then reverting to the standard method of a 4" wall for the 2nd. floor. Other works were carried out to bring them up to more modern standards. The houses were at the time constructed with some unusual features not normally used in Caithness. I enjoyed living in Braal Terrace but unfortunately you were not able to skive off school so easily as the school was just yards away.

M Swanson
11-Mar-13, 11:11
Thank you peeps... and the link M Swanson...

Angel...

You're very welcome, Angel. Hope you collected the info you sought. :cool: