PDA

View Full Version : 79 ref.

piratelassie
09-Mar-13, 02:19
.How many remember the 1979 referendum when 51.8% voted yes to Scottish independence yet it never came about. The reason being that the vote was legally rigged. It is the only vote in recent Brittish history where first past the post did not win. The UK gov. of the day changed the rules ,only for that vote, whereby more than 50% of the ELECTORATE had to vote yes.This was a blatant fix to hold on to Scotland, you may ask why? If 50% of the electorate were required to vote for, in a general election I doubt if we would have any MP's at all. Do you believe that's fair?

sids
09-Mar-13, 02:26
Yes to some of your questions, no to others.

Hope that helps.

John Little
09-Mar-13, 09:57
It's no good. Mendacity on this scale I cannot ignore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_devolution_referendum,_1979

equusdriving
09-Mar-13, 11:17
. Do you believe that's fair?

yes totally ,dont you?

golach
09-Mar-13, 11:25
.How many remember the 1979 referendum when 51.8% voted yes to Scottish independence yet it never came about. The reason being that the vote was legally rigged. It is the only vote in recent Brittish history where first past the post did not win. The UK gov. of the day changed the rules ,only for that vote, whereby more than 50% of the ELECTORATE had to vote yes.This was a blatant fix to hold on to Scotland, you may ask why? If 50% of the electorate were required to vote for, in a general election I doubt if we would have any MP's at all. Do you believe that's fair?
When did devolution become idependence? thats what this referendum was held for

ducati
09-Mar-13, 12:16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_devolution_referendum,_1979

Ha Ha you couldn't make it up...haud on, she did! :eek:

secrets in symmetry
09-Mar-13, 14:24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_devolution_referendum,_1979That's what they do, John. Secessionists and mendacity are bedfellows.

I hadn't realised that the 1979 devolution (not independence!) referendum was so close.

51.62% of those voting said yes.
48.38% of those voting said no.
The turnout was 63.8%
Overall, 32.9% of the electorate voted yes. The Devolution Bill required 40% (not 50%!)

The result of the 1999 referendum was quite different, with large majorities in favour of devolution and tax-raising powers.

piratelassie
09-Mar-13, 23:13
I stand corrected , it was a devolution referendum and the percentage required was 40% not 50%,Never the less the point of my post was that first past the post did not win.

golach
09-Mar-13, 23:15
I stand corrected , it was a devolution referendum and the percentage required was 40% not 50%,Never the less the point of my post was that first past the post did not win.
And I dont think Eck's neverendum will win either

John Little
09-Mar-13, 23:35
You stand corrected?

Is that it?

You start a thread on your community forum, waxing indignant about a pack of lies, putting a massive wad of disinformation in front of your target audience and you 'stand corrected' ?

Well I'm assuming it was lies because if not then it was ignorance unbelievable in someone of such strong and vociferous opinions.

A Unionist you'd expect an apology from.

Stand corrected indeed.

Have you no shame?

secrets in symmetry
10-Mar-13, 00:09
You stand corrected?

Is that it?

You start a thread on your community forum, waxing indignant about a pack of lies, putting a massive wad of disinformation in front of your target audience and you 'stand corrected' ?

Well I'm assuming it was lies because if not then it was ignorance unbelievable in someone of such strong and vociferous opinions.

Stand corrected indeed.

Have you no shame?That's what they do John. They are based on lies.

Dadie
10-Mar-13, 00:37
1979 vote?
I was in nappies....
The goverment at the time of the voting over whatever rigs the voting towards their favour as much as they can.......

piratelassie
10-Mar-13, 00:47

Stand corrected indeed.

Have you no shame?[/QUOTE]

secrets in symmetry
10-Mar-13, 00:55
1979 vote?
I was in nappies....
The goverment at the time of the voting over whatever rigs the voting towards their favour as much as they can.......I'm not sure which side the government of the time was on!

A Google session hasn't revealed an unambiguous picture.

Perhaps John Little can tell us.

piratelassie
10-Mar-13, 00:56
[QUOTE=John Little;1013021]You stand corrected?
Little John what is your problem? The WHOLE point of my post was to highlight the fact that the vote was rigged because of the 40% rule a rule that was not used before or since. Chill out.

squidge
10-Mar-13, 01:42
A Unionist you'd expect an apology Wouldnt get it tho lol.....

John Little
10-Mar-13, 09:28
Don't get one here either.

No shame at all.

Can't believe a word she says in future.

John Little
10-Mar-13, 09:48
I'm not sure which side the government of the time was on!A Google session hasn't revealed an unambiguous picture.Perhaps John Little can tell us.Dunno SiS. I note it was a Scottish MP wot dunnit though...

piratelassie
10-Mar-13, 14:26
You dont deserve an apology. Come home and vote.

No shame at all.

Can't believe a word she says in future.

secrets in symmetry
10-Mar-13, 15:28

No shame at all.

Can't believe a word she says in future.You can't ever believe a word she says about politics lol!

secrets in symmetry
10-Mar-13, 15:33
Dunno SiS. I note it was a Scottish MP wot dunnit though...Yes, it was George Cunningham, the Scottish Labour MP for Islington South and Finsbury. He was evidently firmly anti-devolution, which hardly comes as a surprise lol!

He left Labour in 1981 and joined the SDP in 1982. He narrowly lost his seat in the 1983 general election, and narrowly failed to regain it in 1987.

piratelassie
10-Mar-13, 19:36
My dads bigger than your dad.

You can't ever believe a word she says about politics lol!