PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Honeymoon Period Over?

Loafer
07-Jan-07, 14:52
The good lady and myself have just finished our weekly pilgrimage to Tesco. What we found left us speechless. There was little or no milk (only huge cartons), lots of gaps were in the fruit and veg, the meat fridges were nearly bare, and what was there was either on or near it's sell by date (with no discount I hasten to add). In fact, just about everything that was in the fridges were near to their dates (I accidentaly bought out-of-date yoghurt, not popular!). There was cod that was two days past it's date.

The bread was nearly empty, not a small loaf in sight.

Ring any bells from previous threads slagging off the Co-op and Somerfields (several comments came from my good self!!!!)?

The Loafer

brokencross
07-Jan-07, 14:59
Surely Sunday is not a good day to do a weeks shopping, every man and his dog will have stripped the shelves on Friday and Saturday, it is reduced staffing on Sunday and the store will no doubt be waiting for deliveries on Monday. Plus the store is still finding its way regarding people's shopping patterns etc. Give them time.

DarkAngel
07-Jan-07, 15:05
Most stores like the coop and somerfield are like that on a sunday..But recently they have been well stocked shelves Probably coz less sales. I always find Tesco a majoy problem when it comes to their dates with food. It Ended up having to Freeze alot of the food when i got back as they dates we so close to going past sell by date/ use by date!! I normally shop in Coop before tesco arrived and im not stopping either as their food aint That much cheaper and its got longer date too!! Plus you can get around the coop or somerfield without getting banged into or trying to get into the shelves for food..That just puts me right off!!

dragonfly
07-Jan-07, 15:28
we noticed that too on Friday, no milk at all apart from goats milk, fruit & veg aisles with empty spaces and likes of coleslaw only one day away from sell by date (and as you say, no reduction in price), commented to hubby that it looks like its joining the Somerfield/Co-Op trend, think my weekly trips through will be curtailed to fortnightly/monthly if this is going to be the trend

macscotland
07-Jan-07, 16:13
(Yes this is a repeat of my post on the "Supermarket Sweep thread" as I meant to leave my post on this thread..Duh)
. Anyway I dont post much but thought I would try and be helpful for a change. I have noticed a few threads now regarding Tescos lack of milk lately. Instead of the hassle of driving to other shops you should try the Tesos garage/shop on the way out it has always had plenty of the LARGER bottles of milk in their fridges anytime I have been in. Hope this helps.
PS. Dont all go at once incase you leave them short for me.

percy toboggan
07-Jan-07, 16:15
The good lady and myself have just finished our weekly pilgrimage to Tesco. What we found left us speechless. There was little or no milk (only huge cartons), lots of gaps were in the fruit and veg, the meat fridges were nearly bare, and what was there was either on or near it's sell by date (with no discount I hasten to add). In fact, just about everything that was in the fridges were near to their dates (I accidentaly bought out-of-date yoghurt, not popular!). There was cod that was two days past it's date.

The Loafer
Made me chuckle. Maybe they've followed Jaws' advice and put all the deliveries on a train ! :Razz

Buttercup
07-Jan-07, 17:03

Ring any bells from previous threads slagging off the Co-op and Somerfields (several comments came from my good self!!!!)?

The Loafer

It's an offence to sell items that are past there "USE BY" date and the fines are pretty stiff I believe!
"BEST BEFORE" dates mean nothing, it's just a qulaity issue.

DarkAngel
07-Jan-07, 17:12
At least Somerfields and the Coop reduce their stock the day before it goes out of date with 25% off, Then on the next day they have 50% off and reduce it throughout the day if it has not sold. Cant say them same for Tesco.

Ive heard that they are over-staffed and alot off staff are getting let off in feb/march..Dont know how tru this is tho..Heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend lol!!!

cuddlepop
07-Jan-07, 17:46
We were shopping in the coop in Broadford just after New year and had purchased some cakes that had been reduced.Mr Cp has a sweet tooth and will eat anything:lol: .
Well the boy at the till wouldn't sell them to us as they were past there sell by date.Dont think he noticed the date,think itshowed up when he scanned the produce.
Would think a chain like Tesco would have similar technology:confused
Somerfields are very good over here for reducing their stock if its approaching sell by date.New manager was discontinuing many lines before christmas so they were massive reductions.
Christmas present from Somerfields,that I like.

emb123
07-Jan-07, 18:15
It is only reasonable to reduce stuff once it's getting on in the day of it's sell-by date (usually after about 2pm most days or 1pm on a Sunday). Unfortunately it is pretty much at the discretion of the manager.

Tescos in Wick have a pretty captive market so they can get away with not reducing stuff by much - although rows of empty shelves does not bring customers back so readily.

I think Brokencross is right that they haven't figured out proper stocking levels yet and it will take time, and even longer if people people regularly find rows of empty shelves especially on essentials like bread and milk - they simply won't keep coming for a while which makes it harder for them to figure out proper stocking levels.

You'd be fine with out of date yoghurt as long as it is stored at the correct temperature. I regularly eat yoghurt that is even as much as a couple of months out of date - but I keep my fridge at about 3 celsius and keep an eye to make sure it is at the right temperature - which is important. (I used to make my own yoghurt and greek style (strained) yoghurt for years and know a thing or two about it. I'll be making it again soon if Tesco hike the price of the Healthy Living Greek style up any higher. It went up from 45p (which is what it had been for about a year) to 78p overnight a few months back. I doubt that the cost of milk went up by 73.3% overnight.

After a satisfactory trial separation period that pretty much declared Decree Nisi for me and Tesco as it was just about the only reason I ever went there :)

I'm a biased anti-Tesco person and I think they're a bunch of money-grubbing lowlives, but they're not really so bad. It's worth giving them time, they can only get better :)

JAWS
07-Jan-07, 18:56
Made me chuckle. Maybe they've followed Jaws' advice and put all the deliveries on a train ! :RazzIf they had it would probably have arrived on time. None of the Supermarkets up here, from the various complaints, seem to get a reliable service via Road Transport.

Do Lorry Drivers get out of bed at Weekends? I never seem to see many when I'm out on the Main Roads. They are only conspicuous by their absence, thank heavens, it means tractor's don't get held up by them and can get on with their work.

bagpuss
07-Jan-07, 22:58
9pm on Wednesdays is a great time to shop in tesco- wonderful helpful staff, no jostling and full shelves- it's chaos and pandemonium on Saturday with lots of out of towners.

Co-op prices are lower at present- so do research and shop sensibly.

mccaugm
08-Jan-07, 00:45
[evil]
Surely Sunday is not a good day to do a weeks shopping, every man and his dog will have stripped the shelves on Friday and Saturday, it is reduced staffing on Sunday and the store will no doubt be waiting for deliveries on Monday. Plus the store is still finding its way regarding people's shopping patterns etc. Give them time.

I did my weekly shop on Saturday afternoon and had difficulty getting things..like frozen or fresh pizza and as prev stated so were basics like milk and bread were in short supply...

changilass
08-Jan-07, 00:54
I must have different needs as I went shopping tonight and the only thing we didn't get was bananas - got a load of stuff not on the list though:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-07, 01:16
Nahh I dont think the honeymoon is over...like every marraige it will have its ups and downs but will sort these small problems out. ;) If not one could always have an affair with the co-op, somerfield or lidl :eek:

Fran
08-Jan-07, 02:46
Tesco reduce a lot of their stuff one or two days before the sell by date. some customers have had 2 bags of shopping for less than £5. If thats not a bargain what is!!!