PDA

View Full Version : New Weather Reports

Tugmistress
06-Mar-13, 20:33
I would like to congratulate Wick North Primary School for their forecast that was pretty much spot on in the John O'Groat Journal last week :)
they did the forecast for the weekend just gone. This is a new year long project being organised by the Caithness branch of the British Science Association and me. There are 4 local primary schools involved, Wick North, Pennyland, Lybster and Watten. They each take it in turns to make a forecast to go in either the courier or groat and there is a panel judging their presentation and accracy. Each full term end there will be a winner chosen by the scores of this panel and their accuracy of forecast and the winner will be awarded a cheque for £100 for the school to spend as they wish ~(£50 each off the newspaper and BSA).
Pennyland have just been published today.
I hope you will all take a peak at what the kids are doing, it;s a great bit of fun and healthy competition :)

Moira
07-Mar-13, 01:06
It's a fantastic project Tugmistress and take a bow yourself for getting involved!

Keep up the good work, it's been much appreciated over the years by me and, I'm sure, a few others. :) x

Tugmistress
07-Mar-13, 14:09
Thank you Moira, I just hope there are more people that appreciate what the kids are having a good go at :)

fender
08-Mar-13, 08:17
What a great scheme. Well done to all involved. My granddaughter goes to the North. I'll check her for the forecasts now.

Rainmaker2
08-Mar-13, 09:26
Paula,
Well done on this project, very innovative.
Here's something I've been thinking about for a while. With the building of the 2 new schools in Wick, how about equipping them with a weather station. Climate is a major topic these days and to understand climaten you first have to know a bit about the weather. Be interested in other peoples thoughts on this.

Gavin

Tugmistress
09-Mar-13, 08:20
Paula,
Well done on this project, very innovative.
Here's something I've been thinking about for a while. With the building of the 2 new schools in Wick, how about equipping them with a weather station. Climate is a major topic these days and to understand climaten you first have to know a bit about the weather. Be interested in other peoples thoughts on this.

Gavin

Hi Gavin,
That would be a great idea, although i am not sure which schools are going to be built new (sorry don't have school age kids or live in wick lol) A weather station along the lines of what i run or the others in Caithness is not heartbreakingly expensive, £250 for my current one and it's fairly easy to set up :) to which i would be willing to give advice on siting of it, setting up the programme with the kids so they understand exactly how much data they would have access to :)
I will have to approach the heads of these schools or would it be someone else with this idea??

webmannie
09-Mar-13, 13:37
Sounds like a very good worthwhile project to approach thon halkirk community windfarm fund lot, centre the bid around Halkirk primary but include other schools as part of the network. Anybody on here know if that approach would work to access the fund?