PDA

View Full Version : Local History

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-13, 20:41
I'm interested in the local history having just moved up here I've visited the museums and various places but there seems to be the usual here's a board and something behind a piece of glass exhibitions but very few which show the rich and varied history that makes Caithness quite unique within Scotland I'd be interested to know if there are hidden caches of local history anywhere or plans to make one. Also given the success of the Orkneys in promoting the Viking Heritage why is Caithness so backward in coming forward on that part of this fascinating areas history. Also why is it there is so much focus in the public funded places on Gaelic which is not a local language I fully accept it may be very significant in other parts of the country but given the heritage of this region it seems out of place. Thoughts and views appreciated

davem
05-Mar-13, 20:56
The Gaelic argument has been covered in much depth on these message boards - don't make them go there again.
Been to the heritage centre in Wick? - Hardly your typical behind a glass stuff there.
There was a Viking Centre in Auckengill not sure if it became a Broch centre - we have lots of those too.
I'd be inclined to look more carefully before making pronouncements - just my thoughts.....

gleeber
05-Mar-13, 21:00
I often spend a couple of hours in the museum. The history of caithness is all there although you will become more aquaint with more personal stories the longer your here.
Gaelic is a completely new part of caithness heritage and comes as a result of the Scottish parliament passing an act in 2005 giving the Gaelic language equal respect to English and insisting that each public body must produce a local gaelic plan documenting how they will promote Gaelic in their area. Unfortunately Caithness is included in the Highland council and they are one of the strongest supporters of Gaelic in the country. Most Caithness councillors oppose the gaelicisation of Caithness but its the law and it doesnt appear they have the pluck to oppose the gaelic act and fight for a special defence on Caithnesses special heritage.

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-13, 21:04
Ok well that was pointless negativity. Well sorry I didn't realise we had self appointed censors of reasonable questions if you don't wish to partake that's fine but how about leaving others to discuss it is a forum after all. It's called trolling in the big world not an admirable quality so just say nothing. As for the heritage centre wick I believe I covered that with the few that aren't part. The viking centre is no longer a viking centre the broch centre at Auckengill currently closed. So now your pointless unnecessarily ascerbic point was ? Oh you don't have one you just wanted a whine how typical and boring and enlightened mind ready to discuss and debate it would appear your not

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-13, 21:06
Thanks gleeber much appreciated always good to hear all sides and points of view

gleeber
05-Mar-13, 21:08
I presume that last post wasnt aimed at me. :lol:
Ive given up on the gaelic thing. Its here to stay. No ones going to fight to repeal the Gaelic Act even though our councillors have a blast at it every now and again but to be honest they just come over as anti-Gaelic. its important though to remember that a large part of caithness was never Gaelic. Thats a part of our heritage we need to remember.

gleeber
05-Mar-13, 21:17
The org itself is full of history. Theres weeks of reading within the site.

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-13, 21:19
You're quite correct that post wasn't aimed at you. I found your post informative so I thank you I'd of thought if the councillor a approached the European Union side of life rather than hitting the govt head on some form of special status could be afforded to an area I mean part of what it's there for is to protect the cultural identities of areas along with all the other stuff it covers. The Gaelic debate is a fair one and should be vigoursly debated

davem
05-Mar-13, 21:43
Pointless negativity - No not really - I have witnessed the lighting of the blue touch paper on the Gaelic debate - the same arguments churn over - I have my own views but no wish to see a very well worn path eroded even more. My comment was aimed at someone who has been on the .org just days and yet has a thorough analysis of exactly what the county needs. I am merely saying that there is a wealth of local knowledge and history in the people here. There is lots to see and do - it just takes a while to find it all. If I came across as negative my apologies - if you search Gaelic and Caithness in forum posts you will indeed see it has been well covered.
So impressed you can sum up character and intention from one post, I shall return to my well of bile and bitterness forthwith.

gleeber
05-Mar-13, 21:49
I think the Gaelic things is over. The coups complete. Itll be a part of local history in a hundred years and everyone will wonder what the stink was all about.

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-13, 21:54
I asked. Question davem i didn't proffer a solution or thorough analysis and you're quite right I've been here a few days so maybe a friendlier less dogmatic approach may have made you less hostile just because you've worn a discussion out that doesn't imply everyone has so how about just discussing !

gleeber
05-Mar-13, 22:06
Another bit of local history was when Dounreay was built. Thurso trebled in size in a few years in the mid to late 50s.

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-13, 22:25
That's interesting to know gleeber ! Dounreay is a fascinating place from many aspects but I must confess I hadn't considered the effect it would of had on the indigenous population and the extra infra structure burden it's placed on the local communities, It's always interesting as a newcomer to hear the varying viewpoints on the modern history of the county

sids
05-Mar-13, 22:30
I think the Gaelic things is over. The coups complete. Itll be a part of local history in a hundred years and everyone will wonder what the stink was all about.

And nobody will speak a word of it.

gleeber
05-Mar-13, 22:36
And nobody will speak a word of it.
You might be right but in a hundred years it could go either way especially if you have an enthusiastic Gaelic movement pushing it forward. Its only just started. Give it a chance. :lol:

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-13, 22:42
Sadly if you look globally languages are disappearing are at frightening rate, so if we work on that premise in a 100yrs time at current rates we will all be speaking mandarin or Cantonese

sids
05-Mar-13, 22:54
You might be right but in a hundred years it could go either way especially if you have an enthusiastic Gaelic movement pushing it forward. Its only just started. Give it a chance. :lol:

Absolutely. They should have a go if they think they're hard enough.

gleeber
06-Mar-13, 22:29
There's an excellent blog on the org front page linking to Caithness at war. http://community.caithness.org/article.php?id=3718

RagnarRocks
06-Mar-13, 22:44
There's an excellent blog on the org front page linking to Caithness at war. http://community.caithness.org/article.php?id=3718Thanks for that gleeber read and suitably digested. I had a very friendly gent tell me all about what all the metal and posts where near John o groats yesterday the old stroma ferry ! Very interesting as there isn't anything posted close by to read but there it is cultural history just rusting away I to oblivion. I love hearing about the local history from the people I tend to find reading about it never gives you the same insight into the views and how it actually worked. So your input and direction is appreciated. I've been to the musuems locally but I guess the problem is on the whole they don't really give the history from a local people's perspective which is where the fascinating stories come from.

Bobinovich
06-Mar-13, 23:48
If you visit http://www.castletownheritage.co.uk/ & check the Castletown Recalls page there is a downloadable PDF of a booklet produced regarding the village's role in WWII - some interesting stories & facts there.

RagnarRocks
07-Mar-13, 00:08
If you visit http://www.castletownheritage.co.uk/ & check the Castletown Recalls page there is a downloadable PDF of a booklet produced regarding the village's role in WWII - some interesting stories & facts there.Thanks Bob good reading much appreciated !

sam09
08-Mar-13, 19:06
Plenty of history to look at here on e org. Look into the Site Map at top of page, there is plenty of historical content to look at.
There is always some-one on the forum who will be willing to help on any subject.

jacko
08-Mar-13, 19:57
sinclair n girnigoe castles , steeped in history ,the camster cairns, whaligoe steps ,and just outside caithness is dunrobin castle now thats not to be missed........................ just to name a few

secrets in symmetry
08-Mar-13, 22:39
Pointless negativity - No not really - I have witnessed the lighting of the blue touch paper on the Gaelic debate - the same arguments churn over - I have my own views but no wish to see a very well worn path eroded even more. My comment was aimed at someone who has been on the .org just days and yet has a thorough analysis of exactly what the county needs. I am merely saying that there is a wealth of local knowledge and history in the people here. There is lots to see and do - it just takes a while to find it all. If I came across as negative my apologies - if you search Gaelic and Caithness in forum posts you will indeed see it has been well covered.
So impressed you can sum up character and intention from one post, I shall return to my well of bile and bitterness forthwith.My Norwegian friend tells me that Ragnar Rocks is a misspelling of Ragnarøkr, which is old Norse for "big gob" lol! :cool:

RagnarRocks
08-Mar-13, 22:54
My Norwegian friend tells me that Ragnar Rocks is a misspelling of Ragnarøkr, which is old Norse for "big gob" lol! :cool:Your friend may well be right but it would have to be, otherwise I'd be all out of proportion:0)

secrets in symmetry
08-Mar-13, 23:07
Your friend may well be right but it would have to be, otherwise I'd be all out of proportion:0)That was "gob", not a word that rhymes with it lol!

RagnarRocks
08-Mar-13, 23:11
That was "gob", not a word that rhymes with it lol!Well what can I say but that wasn't my point of referral :0D