PDA

View Full Version : AVG free update 7.5

goldenguernsey
06-Jan-07, 04:02
Does anyone use AVG free? I've had it for ages and now it's telling me it will expire mid January and I need to upgrade to AVG free 7.5
That's fine except every time I try to follow the provided links I'm lost.
Can anyone help?

Tom Cornwall
06-Jan-07, 10:21
Have a look here
http://www.avguk.com/doc/72/lng/uk/tpl/tpl01

scroll down to the relevant 'windows' that you use

Stumurf
06-Jan-07, 16:11
as long as you have been updating it should happen automatically.

If you click the icon in your system tray (bottom right corner) and then click on the "information" option at the top of the AVG screen and then Click on "about" it will open a screen and on this is the "program version" it should state 7.5.4....

With me, the screen still kept on popping up, but i had updated it already, i just think its a case or over advertising in the hope you opt for a paid version, which isnt a bad thing as i have been recommending AVG for years.

alternatively try here

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

scroll down a little bit and viola....

goldenguernsey
07-Jan-07, 01:22
Many thanks guys, will give it a try tomorrow.
Cheers,
GG

Liz
23-Jan-07, 00:47
I've been trying off and on all day to update to the newer version but keep getting a message to say that some of the installation files are corrupted and the installation is cancelled. I had been keeping my AVG up to date but got a message to say that the old version was being replaced on the 18th February. The problem is I have uninstalled the 'old' version as I was told to do this before installing the new one and now I have no anti virus protection at all!. Please help!!!!

Niall Fernie
23-Jan-07, 11:14
Liz, you'll need to make sure that the file you originally downloaded is wiped from your PC, if its still there subsequent downloads may not be happening, Windows may just be using a cached version from your first download. If you empty your cache and delete all references to the download before you try again you may find you get on better.

Liz
23-Jan-07, 14:49
Liz, you'll need to make sure that the file you originally downloaded is wiped from your PC, if its still there subsequent downloads may not be happening, Windows may just be using a cached version from your first download. If you empty your cache and delete all references to the download before you try again you may find you get on better.

Thanks Niall.

I have emptied my cache but how do I delete all references to the download?

Niall Fernie
23-Jan-07, 14:58
I was thinking that if you had saved the file to, say, your "desktop" or "my documents", it may still be there, you would have to delete it.

Liz
23-Jan-07, 15:01
I deleted all these Niall and emptied my cache and I am still getting a message saying that some of the files are corrupt.:(

I am getting quite worried as I have no AV on my computer now. Is there any other AV I could try even as a free trial just until I get this sorted?

I even tried to download a free trial of the AVG Professional edition but the same thing happened.

Liz
23-Jan-07, 16:45
I had a look through the internet and liked the look of Bitdefender so decided to download a free trial.
However halfway through downloading I got a message saying that the publisher could not be verified but I just pressed Run and then some message came up about a file and the whole thing vanished!!

I have seen the AVG Professional Edition for £26 (2 year licence) on Amazon.

Do you think I would have more luck if I used a disc rather than download?

This is doing my head in big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![mad]

octane
23-Jan-07, 17:46
forget avg and bitdefender and get NOD32, This is by far the best anti-virus prog out there. And it doesnt hog your computer resources either which basically means your pc will be more dedicated to the tasks you are doing.

Liz
23-Jan-07, 18:32
forget avg and bitdefender and get NOD32, This is by far the best anti-virus prog out there. And it doesnt hog your computer resources either which basically means your pc will be more dedicated to the tasks you are doing.

Cheers for that Octane!

I had a look at NOD32's website and it looks good.

I am downloading the 30 day trial right now. Don't mean to be pessimistic but I fully expect this to 'go wrong' (polite version!) like the other downloads!

I was wondering whether, if I purchase it, does it come on disc or another download?
I take it that it is nice and easy to use?

Thanks!

Liz
23-Jan-07, 19:43
A huge thanks to you Octane!!!!!

The Nod 32 trial downloaded so now have AV!!!
Windows Security Alert is still showing that I have no AV but could this just be because it does not recognise Nod 32?

octane
23-Jan-07, 20:15
The program is really good but you can give it a try and see for yourself, make
sure its all updated. It well worth the £27 if i mind right, you can buy it online in which they will email a license key etc to upgrade it to the full program

blueivy
24-Jan-07, 12:51
Cheers for that Octane!

I had a look at NOD32's website and it looks good.

I am downloading the 30 day trial right now. Don't mean to be pessimistic but I fully expect this to 'go wrong' (polite version!) like the other downloads!

I was wondering whether, if I purchase it, does it come on disc or another download?
I take it that it is nice and easy to use?

Thanks!

Hi Liz,

I have more information on NOD32 on my website here (http://www.smallbusiness-it.com/products/C51) that may help. I liked it so much I now resell it and provide local support for it.

If you do purchase it it's simply an electronic download. You are sent a username and password which allows you to download it for the period of your licence (so if you bought a two year licence you can update the software and download it for two years using the username and password).

I use it on my desktop, laptop and server and have never had a virus problem. The great thing about it is it's caught a number of website trojans that other antivirus products haven't (Norton springs to mind).

If you need any more information, let me know.

blueivy
24-Jan-07, 12:54
A huge thanks to you Octane!!!!!

The Nod 32 trial downloaded so now have AV!!!
Windows Security Alert is still showing that I have no AV but could this just be because it does not recognise Nod 32?

Hi Liz,

The Security Center will be saying that NOD32 is out of date (which it is on the trial) when you download it.

If you go into the NOD32 control panel, click update and then click Update Now the software will go away and update itself and the alert will disappear.

The latest version is 2.70, the one you download in the trial is 2.50.