PDA

View Full Version : British Lorry Drivers

percy toboggan
05-Jan-07, 23:08
You might have an opinion on 'em. You might not. Many see them as latterday 'knights of the road' some think they're big bellied hooligans.Tatooed and tetchy, given to gesticulating and worse.
However I need to canvass opinion.

What would you think if you approached a truck from the rear displaying a sign that the driver was British & statistically safer. Would you feel any more confident when pulling out to overtake him/her? That he had passed a rigorous test. That she had grew up in acountry where driving on the left was normal. That he or she had almost certainly taken proper rest breaks and abided by the law?

I have a germ of an idea you see. To identify & British professional drivers - who are in some ways an endangered species given the march of the European Onion.

I rate none higher than the Scottish truckers, so many of whom are dedicated, self reliant high milers who are a credit to the industry.
My idea relates to British vehicles only. Too many of which are now in the hands of foreign labour, primarily because operators will not pay decent wages to peope who are expected to sleep in their vehicles on a regular basis and are expected work excessive hours as a matter of routine.

Do you have a view?

footie chick
05-Jan-07, 23:10
I have a germ of an idea you see. To identify & British professional drivers - who are in some ways an endangered species given the march of the European Onion.

Do you have a view?

I have a question what it the European Onion?? :lol:

Whitewater
05-Jan-07, 23:50
I have a question what it the European Onion?? :lol:

Good Question.

I know many of the local (Stevens) long distance truck drivers, and I have the utmost respect for them, I think they are great.

Conscience
05-Jan-07, 23:56
I am a manager and forklift driver for a large goods in/goods out warehouse. In my experience continental drivers are better than British drivers. Continetntals ALWAYS arrive with a pallet truck on board, Brit drivers don't, so we have to load one for them. Continentals will assist in loading/unloading if it will help will speed things up, Brit drivers stand watching with a fag on or disappear to the coffee machine. Continentals always arrive at their booking in time, Brit drivers arrive the same day if you're lucky.

canuck
06-Jan-07, 00:07
You might have an opinion on 'em. You might not. Many see them as latterday 'knights of the road' some think they're big bellied hooligans.Tatooed and tetchy, given to gesticulating and worse.
However I need to canvass opinion.

What would you think if you approached a truck from the rear displaying a sign that the driver was British & statistically safer. Would you feel any more confident when pulling out to overtake him/her? That he had passed a rigorous test. That she had grew up in acountry where driving on the left was normal. That he or she had almost certainly taken proper rest breaks and abided by the law?

I rate none higher than the Scottish truckers, so many of whom are dedicated, self reliant high milers who are a credit to the industry.
My idea relates to British vehicles only. Too many of which are now in the hands of foreign labour, primarily because operators will not pay decent wages to peope who are expected to sleep in their vehicles on a regular basis and are expected work excessive hours as a matter of routine.

Do you have a view?

No I don't have an opinion on the trucking industry in the UK. However, when I was first driving in Scotland I did display a sign in my rear window which identified me as a "Canadian Driver" so that people behind me might be prepared should I hesitate at intersections and roundabouts. But I quickly adapted to the unfamiliar driving conditions and the sign was soon removed. What I am suggesting is that there may easily be a learning curve when adjusting to a new road system, but adjustment should happen fairly quickly.

Tristan
06-Jan-07, 00:25
Do you have a license that says you know how to drive a "stick" or manual drive. Although people do it all the time it turns out it is illegal to drive a car in Britain unless you can prove you took your test on a manual transmission.

Conscience
06-Jan-07, 00:34
Do you have a license that says you know how to drive a "stick" or manual drive. Although people do it all the time it turns out it is illegal to drive a car in Britain unless you can prove you took your test on a manual transmission.

Not exactly true. If you passed your test in an automatic, then in Britain you can only drive automatics. You are only prohibited from driving grown-up cars with a real gear shift. :lol:

Lolabelle
06-Jan-07, 01:19
Continentals will assist in loading/unloading if it will help will speed things up, Brit drivers stand watching with a fag on or disappear to the coffee machine.

I don't know what the Driver Fatigue system is in the UK, but in Australia, (We own 3 Semi Trailers, two working interstate), the drivers are better off not assisting with the loading and unloading, as it can then cut into the driving time or rest time, so our drivers are encouraged to rest while being loaded or unloaded.
I can't comment on UK v's European drivers, but a lot of truck is Australia, have contact phone numbers for reporting bad driving etc... printed on the back of the trailers. As for sleeping in trucks and underpaid. We provide above award rates, good sleepers equipped with airconditioning, and plenty of time to allow for rest and safe driving practices. Unfortunately, we have to compete for work with people who don't pay properly and don't give adequate time for drivers to get safely from A - B. It makes it hard to compete, but we refuse to do work for lousy rates, and to ask our drivers to do anything outside the legal and safety requirements.

j4bberw0ck
06-Jan-07, 01:51
Do you have a view?

Truckers are generally ok with motorbikes; they use their mirrors better than car drivers.

Have to say it's only in Europe that I've had fully laden 44 ton GVW trucks backing up and going forward in stationary traffic to move sideways to open a 6 inch wider gap between them and the car alongside so I can filter between them and make progress. All while the driver waves and smiles.

British truckers are less likely than British car drivers to pull out and knock you off, but for the most part couldn't give a monkeys' about pulling over to let a bike through.

The ones I do admire are the ones (like former Safeway drivers) who are governed to 50 mph (stupid!) and will pull off into passing places on the Ord of Caithness to let traffic past.

_Ju_
06-Jan-07, 02:14
What utter balderdash. Can Mr Percy please show us the statistics on which he bases the abilities of UK large vehicle drivers?

Your decision to overtake or whatever on the road has to be based on your abilities as a driver and the individual circumstances of each situation. Never on your ability to predict the other drivers behaviour because you feel a greater affinity with him/her because they have a UK driver sticker on a bumper.

jamieS
06-Jan-07, 02:16
I drive the length of Britain quite fequently, and most lorry drivers be ir British or European have given me the indicator flash to safley overtake them. I think there is only a few of them out there think it woul be better to hold up the traffic and cause frustration, which in turn leads to accidents.

Conscience
06-Jan-07, 02:18
Most 'blind siding' accidents in Britain do involve foreign trucks, but that has more to do with them being left hand drive and pulling out while vehicles are in their blind spot. If I had to rate by nationality I would say the Spanish and Portugeuse are the worst.

jamieS
06-Jan-07, 02:38
Most 'blind siding' accidents in Britain do involve foreign trucks, but that has more to do with them being left hand drive and pulling out while vehicles are in their blind spot. If I had to rate by nationality I would say the Spanish and Portugeuse are the worst.

I have to agree with you Conscience, We were in Portugal last year and the driving over there was appalling, they have no respect or a care for signals, lights, etc.

canuck
06-Jan-07, 03:11

Tristan, was this question for me? I did a day long training before I was given the keys to my car when I worked in Scotland. What you have written never came up in the discussion. I had specifically requested an automatic because of the challenge of driving in unfamiliar conditions, but I learned on and can drive a manual.

JAWS
06-Jan-07, 03:13
Give me South African Truck Drivers any time.

triger
06-Jan-07, 08:04
I don't know what the Driver Fatigue system is in the UK, but in Australia, (We own 3 Semi Trailers, two working interstate), the drivers are better off not assisting with the loading and unloading, as it can then cut into the driving time or rest time, so our drivers are encouraged to rest while being loaded or unloaded.
I can't comment on UK v's European drivers, but a lot of truck is Australia, have contact phone numbers for reporting bad driving etc... printed on the back of the trailers. As for sleeping in trucks and underpaid. We provide above award rates, good sleepers equipped with airconditioning, and plenty of time to allow for rest and safe driving practices. Unfortunately, we have to compete for work with people who don't pay properly and don't give adequate time for drivers to get safely from A - B. It makes it hard to compete, but we refuse to do work for lousy rates, and to ask our drivers to do anything outside the legal and safety requirements.Any jobs going

emszxr
06-Jan-07, 09:59
Truckers are generally ok with motorbikes; they use their mirrors better than car drivers.

Have to say it's only in Europe that I've had fully laden 44 ton GVW trucks backing up and going forward in stationary traffic to move sideways to open a 6 inch wider gap between them and the car alongside so I can filter between them and make progress. All while the driver waves and smiles.

British truckers are less likely than British car drivers to pull out and knock you off, but for the most part couldn't give a monkeys' about pulling over to let a bike through.

The ones I do admire are the ones (like former Safeway drivers) who are governed to 50 mph (stupid!) and will pull off into passing places on the Ord of Caithness to let traffic past.

you will find it is 40mph on the ord

emszxr
06-Jan-07, 10:21
the other problem with european drivers is they fill up their fuel tanks, usually two with there cheaper fuel and come to britain doing uk work for cheaper as they can with their nice fuel prices and us uk hauliers simply cannot compete.

emszxr
06-Jan-07, 10:24
I can't comment on UK v's European drivers, but a lot of truck is Australia, have contact phone numbers for reporting bad driving etc... printed on the back of the trailers. As for sleeping in trucks and underpaid. We provide above award rates, good sleepers equipped with airconditioning, and plenty of time to allow for rest and safe driving practices. Unfortunately, we have to compete for work with people who don't pay properly and don't give adequate time for drivers to get safely from A - B. It makes it hard to compete, but we refuse to do work for lousy rates, and to ask our drivers to do anything outside the legal and safety requirements.

yes british drivers are governed by driving rules too. so many will take their break when the truck is being unloaded so they can get to their next drop sooner.

daviddd
06-Jan-07, 10:57
It is indeed 40mph on the Ord, as on the A9 down to Perth (except on dual carriageways) - but 9 out of 10 lorry drivers ignore this rule!

_Ju_
06-Jan-07, 11:28

You are right, the futher south in Europe you go, the worse the driving, but in my experience this applies to cars and motor bikes. I have had many frights from irresponsible drivers in southern europe ( Portugal is alot worse than Spain though I have heard that Greece is worse even than us!), For the most part Lorry driver have to be careful, especially because of the disregard of the smaller cars.

Once I was on a 8 lane high way, going along a long straight bit that went down a hill then up. You could see the road clearly for 3 km (2 miles?), and I saw that there was a traffic jam and before the brow of the hill the traffic was at a standstill. I came to my standstill behind all the other cars after a few second I heard screeching and looked in my rear view mirror. There was a dark car tearing towards me in my lane .... maybe 500m behind me, smoke coming out of the tyres as he tried to brake and I braced myself and closed my eyes thinking this was going to be my first accident. For some reason he hoped lanes and hit the car next to me, which happened to be a mercedes (more expensive to repair than mine- a brand new citroen saxo diesel) but that was scarey and someone was looking after me. People drive so politely here compared to back home and I was having a really hard time driving there again when I went on holiday.

emszxr
06-Jan-07, 12:30
It is indeed 40mph on the Ord, as on the A9 down to Perth (except on dual carriageways) - but 9 out of 10 lorry drivers ignore this rule!

thats because if all truckers sat at 40mph on a and b class roads, apart from dual, there would be more accidents with car drivers getting fed up sat behind a truck, and also deliveries would take a lot longer to arrive. a lot of haulage bosses are on drivers backs to get things delivered as fast as poss, so thats a reason why they dont do 40 mph. also the 40 mph restriction was installed when brakes on trucks were not that good. todays trucks are very good mechanically and have excellent brakes and i personally think the law should be changed on the 40 mph restiction.

Lolabelle
06-Jan-07, 12:40
Any jobs going
Yes actually, we are looking for a driver, long comute though.

connieb19
06-Jan-07, 13:55
Give me South African Truck Drivers any time.The mind boggles.. :eek: :lol:

Conscience
06-Jan-07, 14:21
The mind boggles.. :eek: :lol:

It must have taken a lot of courage to come out so publicly. Jaws should be applauded!

j4bberw0ck
06-Jan-07, 14:57

Thanks, emszxr; I was told once they had a governor on the engine that restricted them to 50 mph anywhere, anyplace, for fuel economy. Happy to be corrected.

Mind you, the idea of a truck being able to do 40 mph at all on some parts of the Ord is a silly one. :D

emszxr
06-Jan-07, 15:32
they do have a restictor which is set at 56mph.

percy toboggan
07-Jan-07, 00:38
Thanks for the feedback.
If you want statistics Ju talk to Norwich Union Insurance who are so concerned about claims against foreign drivers in UK trucks they have published research and signalled a possible end to offering cover for them.

We have a situation developing where Polish drivers - many of whom do a good job - are 'living' in their cabs and thereby happy to work for lower wages. The have no costs to bear except for their food. Every two or three months they go home for a fortnight with their wad. How fair is this set against a working Brit with a mortgage and commuting costs to pay, not to mention gas, electricity etc. etc. Seven days living in a British truck, for two or three months on end is not conducive to a rested mind or body, and is not technically legal. Given that big German hauliers like Willi Betts find Rumanian drivers so cheap they often double man them so they can drive for about eighteen hours in every twenty four. If you are happy with that Ju then fair doos.

Of course other jobs like cleaning, domestics and picking carrots have gone to immigrant labour and the pay is often below minimum wage. We are talking here though about a job which carries so much responsibility that errors and tiredness can often prove fatal. Ju has a point when she talks about statistics. They are not easily gleaned.They are being supressed by a government who do not want you to know the full facts. It has taken a company - a big one- like Norwich Union, which is hurting, to tell the truth.

All this said, my idea does not involve putting foreign workers in a negative light, merely identifying British ones. To the 'manager' who says they 'don't have a pallet truck' these bits of kit are your responsibility as the receiver.
you sound like a typical whining gaffer who wants everything on a plate. The kind of bloke who'd say 'Can't tip you today mate we finish in half an hour , come back in the morning" One wonders how many deadlines you've striven to make against traffic, weather , distance and time.

Conscience
07-Jan-07, 01:50
To the 'manager' who says they 'don't have a pallet truck' these bits of kit are your responsibility as the receiver.
you sound like a typical whining gaffer who wants everything on a plate. The kind of bloke who'd say 'Can't tip you today mate we finish in half an hour , come back in the morning" One wonders how many deadlines you've striven to make against traffic, weather , distance and time.

A pallet truck is my responsibility, when pallets need to be moved once they are OFF the lorry. Moving them in the the back of the lorry is the driver's responsibility, his load on his lorry: his responsibility. If he turns up without a pallet truck on back for moving his load about then he, or the company that sent him out without one, is a nuisance. But these days its becoming less of a nuisance because we are using more continentals.

If a load is booked in for 3.00pm and it turns up at 4.55pm just as we are closing up, you're damn right I'd send him away. I'm not getting home late to my family because someone didn't make their booking in time. The continentals always make their booking in time, so why do Brit drivers have such a hard time being on time?

JAWS
07-Jan-07, 01:59
It must have taken a lot of courage to come out so publicly. Jaws should be applauded!Why should you think such things have to take courage? Would you see some problem with it or do you have something against homosexuals?

Besides, how sexist and out of date can you get? Assuming only males can be lorry drivers is an attitude which is decades out of date. They even let women borrow money in the modern world, without having to have some man to sign to accept the responsibility.
What next? A suggestion that the woman's place is in the home because that's all they are fit for?

Dear me, how quaint, how very, very quaint! What’s it like back there in the Stone Age?

Conscience
07-Jan-07, 02:04
Why should you think such things have to take courage? Would you see some problem with it or do you have something against homosexuals?

Besides, how sexist and out of date can you get? Assuming only males can be lorry drivers is an attitude which is decades out of date. They even let women borrow money in the modern world, without having to have some man to sign to accept the responsibility.
What next? A suggestion that the woman's place is in the home because that's all they are fit for?

Dear me, how quaint, how very, very quaint! What’s it like back there in the Stone Age?

Gosh. That sounds like a whole heap of denial to me. Guess you're not as brave as I thought. I withdraw my praise.

canuck
07-Jan-07, 02:11
...They even let women borrow money in the modern world, without having to have some man to sign to accept the responsibility. ...

It wasn't so long ago that women were given that privilege by the banks. When I purchased my first car I was employed and in a position of responsibility which allowed me to marry people and to sign passports (both Canadian and British). Still I needed that male co-signer to get a bank loan. So my younger brother (then at university and thus "unemployed") signed for me. He was a far greater security risk than I was. Maybe mine was the case that started tipping the scales. Fortunately things have changed in the past 30 years.

Back to the topic, there are lots of fabulous female truck drivers out there.

JAWS
07-Jan-07, 02:14
Portugal is alot worse than Spain though I have heard that Greece is worse even than us!I can confirm that the most unique journey I have had in a car was in a Taxi in Northern Greece. He followed a bus on a two lane road for absolutely ages despite having plenty of good views for overtaking. Suddenly something must have tripped a switch in his brain. The next moment we are on the wrong side of the road, alongside the bus and fast approaching the blind brow of a hill with no escape route.
I can only assume that nothing has ever been known to travel in the other direction at that particular spot at that time of day!

JAWS
07-Jan-07, 02:28
Gosh. That sounds like a whole heap of denial to me. Guess you're not as brave as I thought. I withdraw my praise.I don't recall denying anything. Read it again, carefully, and I simply observed that you have to make an awful lot of out-dated assumptions, full of prejudiced ideas, to arrive at your original comment.
For some reason that doesn’t surprise me in the least but, then again, there is little some people do which does surprise me.

triger
07-Jan-07, 07:50
Yes actually, we are looking for a driver, long comute though.
OK' got ma case packed on ma way(you did say i would'nt need to help unload the lorry,;) that sold it for me).

percy toboggan
07-Jan-07, 16:30
A pallet truck is my responsibility, when pallets need to be moved once they are OFF the lorry. Moving them in the the back of the lorry is the driver's responsibility, his load on his lorry: his responsibility. If he turns up without a pallet truck on back for moving his load about then he, or the company that sent him out without one, is a nuisance. But these days its becoming less of a nuisance because we are using more continentals.

If a load is booked in for 3.00pm and it turns up at 4.55pm just as we are closing up, you're damn right I'd send him away. I'm not getting home late to my family because someone didn't make their booking in time. The continentals always make their booking in time, so why do Brit drivers have such a hard time being on time?

The tone of your post speaks volumes for your attitude. I'm all right Jack.
I can't believe idiotic manager types who think delivery times can be anything other than a rough guide. If you have ample pallet trucks around and just bemoan lifting one on to facilitate unloading you really are a miserable spirited jobsworth.:roll:

I dunno which firm you 'manage' but it must be a small one if you're also driving the fork-lift. Perhaps when you graduate to something bigger, or view the world through others eyes, with all its' attendant difficulties you might change yoiur opinion. You being an hour late home for your tea might make the difference to that driver getting home at all, or spending another night in an upholstered tin box. But then you wouldn't give a stuff about that in your timed and ordered little management/fork lifting world. Do you have a brown smock and a row of shiny biro's in your top pocket too? You do sound awfully familiar.

Conscience
07-Jan-07, 16:44
There is no need for all that rudeness and insult. As per the forum rules I have reported your post.

I pointed out that we don't all have to wait until a driver decides to turn up. It is a fact that continental drivers are always on time, and always have their own pallet truck on back for moving their load about. British drivers are usually rude, late, and expect everyone else to do it for them.
In this modern world it is a lucky manager who does nothing but sit in an office. I do all the same work as the rest of the crew, but on top of it I am also responsible for the running of the warehouse. I will not tell my guys they have to work an extra hour at such short notice, as far as I am concerned their welfare comes before that of a late driver. All companies booking in to us are told that any truck arriving more than an hour late or within 15 minutes of 5.00pm will either have to wait until we get time to unload them or wait til morning to be unloaded or be turned away. Anyone arriving late with that knowledge cannot complain.

percy toboggan
07-Jan-07, 18:01
'Conscience' said:There is no need for all that rudeness and insult.

I didn't think there was much:confused

'Conscience declared: As per the forum rules I have reported your post.

Why am I not surprised?:roll:

'Conscience continued': I will not tell my guys they have to work an extra hour at such short notice.....

then why not try merely 'asking them, instead.

'Conscience' explained: as far as I am concerned their welfare comes before that of a late driver. All companies booking in to us are told that any truck arriving more than an hour late or within 15 minutes of 5.00pm will either have to wait until we get time to unload them or wait til morning to be unloaded or be turned away. Anyone arriving late with that knowledge cannot complain.....

That's fair enough. I don't suppose you helped in the drafting of that regulation because it's far too reasonable. I hope the outcome of your 'complaint' brings you more satisfaction than you seem to get in yer job. If that sounds rude, you'll not be at all surprised. You can always complain again.

Just an afterthought: your lads might be glad of some overtime, or do they not get paid for working extra hours?If the firm has its' management doing the same work as everyone else possibly they dont. You neither I suspect.

cuddlepop
07-Jan-07, 18:33
Percy my mother is a little eccentric and walks everywhere with her trusty back pack.
To go anywhere you have to walk along the A78 which the Truggers use quiet frequetly,they also go over on the Rothesay boat etc,which she goes down to see berth.
Not explaining this well
they are a wonderful bunch that always give my mother a toot and a wave.For a lonely old widow it makes her day and she calls them her palls.:D

JAWS
07-Jan-07, 20:28
Percy, even I understand that planning road journeys is, to say the least, an inexact science. Even the average car driver knows that even a simple shopping trip to a Distant Town cannot be exactly time so you know exactly which shop you will be in at an exact time.

Just one question Percy, how many times are lorry drivers making several deliveries held up because the place they are off-loading at keeps them hanging about forever because they couldn't organise a baby's birthday party?

Next time I'm having a leisurely day out, dawdling along enjoying the scenery, I'll bear in mind that it could mean the difference between the lorry/van driver behind me being able to tip his load or not seeing his family at all that night because somebody doesn’t want to be a few minutes late getting home for tea.

That would probably explain why drivers of Commercial Vehicles, including the infamous ‘White Van Man’, sometimes end up taking one too many risks. Everybody assumes it’s the fault of the drivers or their inconsiderate employers but that is obviously not necessarily the main cause.

Lorry Drivers are tied to their Tacho-graphs and Driver's Hours which is something the people at their delivery points are not. Such people putting selfish, excessive pressures on drivers, for their own convenience, puts everybody in danger. They can do this living in the safe knowledge the finger will never be pointed in their direction whenever an accident occurs, but their hands are equally steeped in the blood which is spilt!

Such attitudes are no different to the attitude of the worst of the old Factory and Mine Owners who gave absolutely no thought to any dangers their employees were put in provided their purposes were served!

dozerboy
08-Jan-07, 13:55
I admire the Scottish trucker, and at the same time feel sorry for them. Ok, at some employers they get fairly well remunerated for what they do, but they have to put in the hours to get it. Most are very professional, careful drivers, but certain employers put pressure on them to make certain destinations single manned, in one shift, when they should have a 2nd driver on board for a couple of hours. FYI - on single carriageway it's 40 MPH, dual is 50, and Motorway is, or was 60 MPH but new vehicles are now restricted to 85 KPH (Can't remember exactly what that is in MPH) And a lot of modern trucks, ie Scania 580's or 620's can pull the Ord like it wasn't there. Some drivers do get the attitude that they own the roads though, and do things they shouldn't.

Not an easy way to make a living.

JAWS
08-Jan-07, 14:25
85 KPH is just over 50 MPH flat out with a following wind. That is more likely to cause far more dangers than it ever presents.

The very reason HGVs are banned from the third lane on Motorways was because, decades ago when they were generally very under-powered, a Motorway would be blocked for mile after mile as lorries overtook one another. The very few MPH difference between them meant it would take for ever for the one in the third lane (which they were allowed to use legally) to be able to move back in from the third lane.
Exactly the same thing used to happen on Dual Carriageways with the same results.
Drivers of other vehicles would end up very frustrated if not totally infuriated and we all know what that leads to.

I don't know which imbeciles dreamt that one up but they would be better employed with a job more suitable to their abilities. Sorting paper clips into their various sizes would probably be suitable, but only under careful supervision in case they become over-stressed!

percy toboggan
08-Jan-07, 18:58
[quote=JAWS;179498]

Just one question Percy, how many times are lorry drivers making several deliveries held up because the place they are off-loading at keeps them hanging about forever because they couldn't organise a baby's birthday party?
quote]
This happens often . Not to me anymore thnak goodness but times deliveries are becoming des rigeur, and if you have multiple drops and get held up on the first one then the knock on effect is obvious.

Your post was insightful and understanding. Receivers cannot be rigid in this - no pun - regard. Generally most drtivers are conscientuous and will do their level best to be on time, whatever their nationality. This thread has sidetracked from vaunting (most) British truckers (not denegrating others)to homosexuals , to timed deliveries and pallet trucks! Such is the nature of internet forums. :D

dozerboy
09-Jan-07, 13:40
85 KPH is just over 50 MPH flat out with a following wind. That is more likely to cause far more dangers than it ever presents.

The very reason HGVs are banned from the third lane on Motorways was because, decades ago when they were generally very under-powered, a Motorway would be blocked for mile after mile as lorries overtook one another. The very few MPH difference between them meant it would take for ever for the one in the third lane (which they were allowed to use legally) to be able to move back in from the third lane.
Exactly the same thing used to happen on Dual Carriageways with the same results.
Drivers of other vehicles would end up very frustrated if not totally infuriated and we all know what that leads to.

I don't know which imbeciles dreamt that one up but they would be better employed with a job more suitable to their abilities. Sorting paper clips into their various sizes would probably be suitable, but only under careful supervision in case they become over-stressed!

I agree - it makes other drivers more frustrated as they can't get passed, so accidents then happen. I think the government have forgotten that while trucks are now faster than ever, and heavier (up to 44T) they now have brakes that actually work, and retarders, exhausters etc etc, so they can actually stop before reaching Land's End when a deer jumps out on the Ord!!

Whether a road is 2 or 3 lanes, the problems are the same basically. Only difference being on a 3 laner, us car drivers have a chance of passing a truck, provided you hang on for grim death for the wind buffetting!! (apologies, my spelling isn't always great)

I used to be a trucky, and some of the antics that car drivers do, in order to get out of a roundabout before you in the truck, is not funny. They forget that we weigh 44 tons!! (Not me personally, the truck!!)

Tristan
09-Jan-07, 18:22
If they are going slow they (like any driver) should pull over and let everyone behind pass.
Drivers are very bad on the Inverness to Perth road where they are happy to tottle along at 40 and as soon as the dual carriageway comes up they manage to speed up to 80 so no one can pass then promptly slow down again.
Police should be blasting those idiots (and that is the only word for them) with massive points and fines!!!!!!!!!!!

emszxr
09-Jan-07, 18:50
if trucks pulled over to let every 3 cars behind them pass cause they are doing 40mph and sticking to the legal speed limit they are governed to do they would get no where. ok, a lt if not most trucks sit on their truck limiter, 56mph, which is only 4mph slower than cars are legally suppose to do on a a and b road.

triger
10-Jan-07, 03:45
If they are going slow they (like any driver) should pull over and let everyone behind pass.
Drivers are very bad on the Inverness to Perth road where they are happy to tottle along at 40 and as soon as the dual carriageway comes up they manage to speed up to 80 so no one can pass then promptly slow down again.
Police should be blasting those idiots (and that is the only word for them) with massive points and fines!!!!!!!!!!!Tristan if you are refering to H.G.V drivers then if we were to pull over every time there were three or four cars behind us then we would not make our delivery times & would have some jobs worth manager telling us to come back tomorrow.Please give us some CREDIT

Jeemag_USA
10-Jan-07, 04:03
Tristan if you are refering to H.G.V drivers then if we were to pull over every time there were three or four cars behind us then we would not make our delivery times & would have some jobs worth manager telling us to come back tomorrow.Please give us some CREDIT

I am inclined to agree with Triger. Sometimes we feel it should be taken for granted that avery trucker should just pull over now and again to let people pass, but what people seem to forget is that most people behind a truck who get frustrated with the speed they are going at, don't really need to be geting to where they are going in any hurry they just somehow feel they should not have to slow down, just impatience really. A trucker on the other hand does need to get somewhere on time and if they stopped every time there was three or more cars were behind them they would never be on time. Its good enough that most drivers will turn on their right signal (can't remember if thats right, I have been driving on the right slide of the bliddy road for so long) to let people know people have time to pass. Its a sad fact that most people in cars feel they should be getting somewhere fast even when they don't need to, nothing more than speed demons :) Everyone has a right to the road and everyone should respect each other on the road. Every day on my way to work I see impatient drivers, lane jumpers, speeders, every second car I see is like that, just brainless!

dozerboy
10-Jan-07, 13:32
We must all remember that like 'em or hate 'em, we need the truckers to keep truckin' or our shops will be empty and our cars will run dry.

Keep up the good work all ye truckers oot there!! (Just give way when you see an orger coming behind you!)

Tristan
10-Jan-07, 19:42
Tristan if you are refering to H.G.V drivers then if we were to pull over every time there were three or four cars behind us then we would not make our delivery times & would have some jobs worth manager telling us to come back tomorrow.Please give us some CREDIT

There are signs are up and down the roads asking drivers to be courteous and let queues pass, other signs pointing out that frustration causes accidents etc.

In many civilised countries it is ticket-able offence to drive slower than the flow of traffic or to hold up traffic by driving slower than the conditions permit.

There is no excuse for not allowing queues to pass, or discourteous drivers speeding up at possible passing areas, or worse still speeding up on the dual carriageway's where people have a chance to pass without the driver pulling over.

All I am asking for is some courtesy. If delivery times aren't realistic then it is time to change them. Everyone has to be somewhere at sometime!

triger
11-Jan-07, 07:46
There are signs are up and down the roads asking drivers to be courteous and let queues pass, other signs pointing out that frustration causes accidents etc.

In many civilised countries it is ticket-able offence to drive slower than the flow of traffic or to hold up traffic by driving slower than the conditions permit.

There is no excuse for not allowing queues to pass, or discourteous drivers speeding up at possible passing areas, or worse still speeding up on the dual carriageway's where people have a chance to pass without the driver pulling over.

All I am asking for is some courtesy. If delivery times aren't realistic then it is time to change them. Everyone has to be somewhere at sometime! It wouldn't matter if you were out for a walk or standing in a bus queue your always going to meet someone who dosn't have anyone elses interest at heart but their own,Not that that makes them bad. We can all sit and argue about good bad & indifferent types of driver all day long but if we are all refering to roads like the A9 then the main problem lies with the road its self.It should have been duel carrageway all the way to Thurso & Wick in the first place.No doubt there would be something else for us all to moan about.Can't win:(

emszxr
11-Jan-07, 10:14
It wouldn't matter if you were out for a walk or standing in a bus queue your always going to meet someone who dosn't have anyone elses interest at heart but their own,Not that that makes them bad. We can all sit and argue about good bad & indifferent types of driver all day long but if we are all refering to roads like the A9 then the main problem lies with the road its self.It should have been duel carrageway all the way to Thurso & Wick in the first place.No doubt there would be something else for us all to moan about.Can't win:(

oh no not dual all the way. between dornoch and thurso is one of the best biking roads, its getting straight enough in bits without dual all the way.

percy toboggan
11-Jan-07, 19:34
oh no not dual all the way. between dornoch and thurso is one of the best biking roads, its getting straight enough in bits without dual all the way.

As an recent ex-biker myself (800 Drifter) this is a very good point emszxr :cool: