PDA

View Full Version : Mud on roads

samantha333
28-Feb-13, 13:18
I can't believe how much mud has been left on the watten and Castletown roads from tractors, surely there should be signs up to warn drivers ?? Who's job is it to clean up the mess? Before there is an accident.

Even Chance
28-Feb-13, 13:23
Its the farmers responsibility. The Castletown road is awful this past few weeks the Thurso side of the Bower corners.

billmoseley
28-Feb-13, 19:43
give the poor farmers a break will you this is the first time in months they have able to get on their fields so they will be working flat out to plant crops. cleaning up the road will be the last thing on their minds. It must have been wet since October as today i have seen 2 combine harvesters cutting oats not something you expect to see in February

joxville
28-Feb-13, 20:47
I'm so disappointed, I thought this thread was about a popular 70's band touring again ;-)

beelag2000
28-Feb-13, 20:58
Difficult one when you start to delve into the practicalities!

As a motorcyclist I am at greater risk from slippy road surfaces, so yes signs would be a great help, even a piece of ply with handpainted "Mud on Road" but strictly speaking they should be of the standard required by the Roads Agency or whoever has authority for road signage, so now we are into significant cost/time/effort in the purchase of these signs and permission to erect them.

On the other hand I am a crofter and have to move from field to field on the public road. The problem is prevalent just now as the frosty weather has firmed up the ground so its an ideal opportunity to get these bales off the field and get the dung from the midden out on the fields.

Cleaning the road responsibility: Initially it would appear that "The farmer" is the obvious choice but lets have a look at the practicalities.
Would it be sensible for me to be out on the top of the road with a shovel and brush on the bends between Hastigrew and Castletown for example?
To do this legally, as it is carrying out works on a public highway, I need to adhere to the New Roads & Street Works Act (NR&SWA). This would involve me being trained and certificated to do this type of work and to set up 2 Advance warning, 2 Road Works, 2 30MPH, 2 Road Narrows, 2 Lane Diversion and 2 End of Works signs, also where there is not a specified clear line of sight distance I would need a set of traffic lights. To get a contractor to do this would be mega costly.

Caithness is a rural farming county, is it unreasonable for our farming community to be able to access fields via the public roads?

I have no magic answers and I understand that someone who has just washed and polished their pride and joy is going to be annoyed after one run over a muddied road as well as the increase in danger through reduced grip.

gaza
28-Feb-13, 21:33
As a motorcyclist for 38 years, the farmers back in the earlydays in Caithness, did always put up MUD ON ROAD signs made out of white paint on on old bit of wood, (good enough for us and could be a legal exemption cover) but now a days it looks like they don't have enough TIME or just to dam LAZY. either way i have had many a scary moments because of them, but the day will come when a biker will come a cropper, whether death or injury is the result, and BOY O BOY will the farmer have a claim against him, and rightly so. SO farmers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take time out and make a couple of signs, ANYTHING to let us bikers know, we drive with our eyes open and look out for the smallest of information so we will notice them. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Rheghead
28-Feb-13, 21:36
I can't believe how much mud has been left on the watten and Castletown roads from tractors, surely there should be signs up to warn drivers ?? Who's job is it to clean up the mess? Before there is an accident.

To be perfectly honest, I thought the worst case of mud on the roads was near the junction of the Camster wind farm access road. I noticed that the nearby field had been ploughed but I thought it was more likely to be something to do with the wind farm traffic.

Dialyser
28-Feb-13, 22:58
As a biker and living in a rural community I am well aware of this problem and have the experience of our roads to know where this is most likely to occur.

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/machinery/machinery-news/know-your-responsibility-for-mud-on-rural-roads/34748.article

Shaggy
28-Feb-13, 23:06
something to do with the wind farm traffic.

The windfarm roads are made of crushed rock Rheghead so no mud there. If theres any mud at the entrance then its likely to have been picked up by the trucks further up the road and deposited when they turned

jacko
28-Feb-13, 23:08
i have never, ever seen a farmer clean up a road after the mess they left . and i,ve seen some real messy roads left by them for the weather to disperse.
and i ve been driving for 50 years .

p/s. and i have yet to see a sign left by them. you know, cant say i ve ever seen a sign saying mud on road .

Croftergirl
01-Mar-13, 00:00
You know what, iv thought better of the reply I wrote. I'm too tired and the reply was a bit nasty.
If you don't know that us farmers/Crofters are struggling to get up to date with work that should have been done last ear, and that we are enjoyin the first decent spell of good weather in a long time, then I'm not gonna spell it out to you.

Anyway I am of back out to my lambing shed (it's 11pm) I should hopefully get to bed by 1am, and I now I'll be back up and workin by 5am - gaza, if that's LAZY I'd hate to see how many hours a day you expect people to work!!

andyw
01-Mar-13, 00:05
Perhaps Jacko you should go to specsavers

jacko
01-Mar-13, 00:29
i got 20-20 vision buddy :eek: ,but i honestly really cant remember ever seeing a farmer cleaning a road or erecting a sign. and honestly im not bothered .cos the kind of vehicle i drove was nt affected by mud much

sids
01-Mar-13, 00:56
i have never, ever seen a farmer clean up a road after the mess they left . and i,ve seen some real messy roads left by them for the weather to disperse.
and i ve been driving for 50 years .

You're experience is limited (or false). I've spent much happy time cleaning mud from my tractors off the road.

Hold on- now I get it! You can't tell if a clean road was ever muddy, can you?

Gronnuck
01-Mar-13, 01:11
My God what has the world come to when people get upset and bothered by a bit of mud on the road? Caithness is predominantly a rural community with lots of farms and small crofts working their socks off. Oh I’m sorry you bikers might have to slow down and be a bit more careful and you car drivers might get a bit of mud on your shiny paintwork but for goodness sake get a life!
What is so important that anyone has to rush anywhere? It's not as if a hoard of visiting caravanners is pushing you along the road.
If you want a bit of excitement go and live in the central belt where bikers come off their bikes every day as a result of things heavier and harder than a pile of mud on the road; and cars never get dirty because they move so slowly - if at all.
This is caithness..........reeeeellaax...

Moira
01-Mar-13, 01:49

If you can't see the mud on the road and drive accordingly then how are you going to see a sign warning you that there is mud on the road...... :eek:

I've driven the Wick/Castletown/Thurso road twice this week. I saw mud, I also saw warning signs. I remember thinking these were a bit superfluous because I'd already seen the mud and dropped my speed.

When you have to scrape ice from the windscreen of your car in the morning you expect frost/black ice on the roads you're driving on, if it's been pouring rain for a few days you're aware that parts of the road may be flooded. Or maybe it's just me. :confused

George Brims
01-Mar-13, 02:03
Gaza's remark about farmers being lazy got me worked up. However it IS the farmer's legal obligation to clean up the mud EVERY DAY. My dad got a letter to that effect from the polis during ploughing time. Some whiner complained.

Foxy
01-Mar-13, 02:42
Well the drivers that are on the Castletown/Bower road if you can't see the sign there you should not be driving and i would strongly suggest you get your eyes tested. Farmers are very busy at the moment catching up with dung spreading and ploughing. I know there is a drop of gutters on the road but drivers should drive according to the road conditions and gutters on the road mean take your feet off the accelerator or you may slide just like on a frosty morning ( i know people don't notice frost either). Gaza you must be a very hard working person if you have the cheek to call me a lazy farmer as i've been working for the last 15 hours and because i have another cow calving will probably still be on the go for another few hours and may not even get to bed tonight/morning, so pray tell me what you do for a living?

samantha333
01-Mar-13, 09:41
I wasn't having a dig at the farmers as we all know they have to work like most people do. Not all people drive at silly speeds on the road..and can still slide. It won't be that when someone has an accident.

Southern-Gal
01-Mar-13, 10:30
When you take your driving test you are assessed as to your ability and suitability to bet let loose alone on the roads. Being in charge of a tonne of metal at speed is a great privilege, one that some people are clearly not worthy of!
If you are so stupid that you are driving so fast to miss seeing tractors in surrounding fields, mud, signs and flood water should you really be on the road in the first place? You are a massive risk to yourself and others.

For those who dont understand, drive as though the driving test examiner is sat next to you and you are taking your test. Would driving to risk skidding on the obvious mud get you a pass?

samantha333
01-Mar-13, 11:09
Like I said not everyone drives like idiots...

rich62_uk
01-Mar-13, 11:51
I am City born and bred however I now live in the country and find it funny when people moan about horses being on the road or mud ! Its the country what do you expect ? :). Drive slower its simple.

jacko
01-Mar-13, 12:48
I was,nt having a dig at farmers either, I was merely stating a point. I have never seen a farmer clean up their mess.
But now the cage has been rattled.
Suppose you or I the ordinary householder/driver etc left a load of muck on the road. we d be charged with it for sure.... IT IS AGAINST THE LAW. FULL STOP.
So why do farmer s /crofters be any different . ?????

sids
01-Mar-13, 13:13

They don't be any different.

Arr.

jacko
01-Mar-13, 13:39
some folks here reckon they are.?

Gronnuck
01-Mar-13, 14:41
I was,nt having a dig at farmers either, I was merely stating a point. I have never seen a farmer clean up their mess.
But now the cage has been rattled.
Suppose you or I the ordinary householder/driver etc left a load of muck on the road. we d be charged with it for sure.... IT IS AGAINST THE LAW. FULL STOP.

You might have had time to notice that the weather hereabouts is very changeable so farmers will take advantage to do what they have to do in their fields. Then before you know it a storm comes in and the rain and the wind will wash the road for us. Instead of getting wound up about it relaaaxxx .....and thank God you don't have to work the land,;)

jacko
01-Mar-13, 15:12
who s wound up . im only stating MY personal opinion which i am entitled to .

Gronnuck
01-Mar-13, 17:39
im only stating MY personal opinion which i am entitled to .

Of course you are..... so long as you do it on a lounger, under a sun umbrella with a tall glass in one hand..... and relaaaaxxx,;):D

mi16
01-Mar-13, 17:59
Never mind farmers clearing up their mess, they should not be creating a mess on the road in the first place.The vehicles wheels should be cleaned prior to going onto the highway, therefore negating the issue.

annemarie482
01-Mar-13, 18:20
Horse drivers (lol) also often leave muck on the road!

jacko
01-Mar-13, 18:26
Of course you are..... so long as you do it on a lounger, under a sun umbrella with a tall glass in one hand..... and relaaaaxxx,;):D
now thats the first sensible statement you,ve made on this thread ...[lol]

Ballymore
01-Mar-13, 19:38
You're complaining of farmers bringing mud on the roads from their fields - a field that may have grown a crop to feed the sheep and cattle that you end up buying from the local butchers (which is much better than supermarket stuff) so I shall complain about all those that drive past our fields and throw out cans, glass bottles, bags, nappies (!), household trash that land in the fields, get chewed by the cattle and sheep and that can cause death - may I ask who is going to reimburse the farmer for the dead cow (a good breeding cow costs at least £1000 and upwards), or pay the the repair bills of the baler that got damaged or pay for a new tyre that got damaged by glass. A friend's cow died of unknown cause - autopsy found the cause - a drinks can that had been baled in with the silage. So you drivers/bikers and walkers - don't use our fields as a bin PLEASE! Take the trash home and bin it appropriately. And the farmers that muddy the roads - maybe the council can sort that out - I am sure those on community payback could do this.

golach
01-Mar-13, 19:45
You live in the country for goodness sake, fields to the right and left of you, tractors and mud at this time of the year is to be expected, what a lot of grumping about nothing.

Croftergirl
01-Mar-13, 20:21
Mi16, how do you suggest we clean e tyres of our tractors when we're leaving a field?Do you think we can plug a hose into the tap at every field gate?? Or should we tow a bowser of water with us to every field, or do we take out our magic wands and bippity bippity boo, magic it all clean?!? Just take a moment to think through what you said and apply a wee bit of common sense to it please

joxville
01-Mar-13, 20:49
The vehicles wheels should be cleaned prior to going onto the highway, therefore negating the issue. This is, without a doubt, the most stupidest thing I've ever read on this site. And I should know, I've posted half the crap on here! Give yourself a slap. No, make it two slaps.

MerlinScot
01-Mar-13, 22:40
This is, without a doubt, the most stupidest thing I've ever read on this site. And I should know, I've posted half the crap on here! Give yourself a slap. No, make it two slaps.Even three... We could also offer sort of a tractor washing somewhere to solve the issue once and for all :lol:

Moira
01-Mar-13, 23:00
Well the drivers that are on the Castletown/Bower road if you can't see the sign there you should not be driving and i would strongly suggest you get your eyes tested. Farmers are very busy at the moment catching up with dung spreading and ploughing. I know there is a drop of gutters on the road but drivers should drive according to the road conditions and gutters on the road mean take your feet off the accelerator or you may slide just like on a frosty morning ( i know people don't notice frost either). <snip>

Couldn't agree more Foxy. I love your term "drop of gutters" so much I'm repeating it here. :cool:

I wasn't having a dig at the farmers as we all know they have to work like most people do. Not all people drive at silly speeds on the road..and can still slide. It won't be that when someone has an accident.

What was the point of your original post then? If you're driving according to the road conditions you won't slide. Unless you weren't and you did. :roll:

samantha333
01-Mar-13, 23:20
Well all I can say to that is its bad enough dodging pot holes never mind the mud... But hey it's seems to be aloud so let's just go with it ..

Moira
01-Mar-13, 23:34
Exactly, you don't see warning signs about the potholes, do you?

Many thanks for replying. :)

secrets in symmetry
02-Mar-13, 00:11
This is the best thread on this forum in ages. We have people discussing things they know about, namely farming and mud.

Keep up the good work people. :cool:

2little2late
02-Mar-13, 00:41
give the poor farmers a break will you this is the first time in months they have able to get on their fields so they will be working flat out to plant crops. cleaning up the road will be the last thing on their minds. It must have been wet since October as today i have seen 2 combine harvesters cutting oats not something you expect to see in February

The farmers SHOULD have to clean the roads after themselves. After all, if a car driver is caught throwing rubbish from a car they receive a fine. It's no different to a farmer leaving a trail of mud behind them. As a matter of fact it is far more dangerous than a plastic bottle on the grass verge. I am not condoning rubbish being thrown from a car, but why should farmers get away with it. One day there will be a tragic accident then who would be to blame? Perhaps the council should clean the road and send the farmer the bill.

Ballymore
02-Mar-13, 01:00
Perhaps the council should clean the road verges and nearby fields from all the rubbish that drivers (and passengers) throw out and add it to your council or road tax! How many car drivers are actually caught and fined - certainly none on the road passing our farm.

samantha333
02-Mar-13, 01:06
I'm sure council workers do clean up after the fly tippers about.. If they do get caught then they will get fined which is fair enough.. Won't cost much to get a road sweeper to clean up the mud.

Moira
02-Mar-13, 01:06
<snip> One day there will be a tragic accident then who would be to blame?<snip >.

I would respectfully suggest that the goat not paying attention to current road conditions would be to blame. Unless we'd already reached the Nanny State where goats were absolved of all responsibility while driving and not paying attention. ;)

luskentyre
02-Mar-13, 01:27
I would respectfully suggest that the goat not paying attention to current road conditions would be to blame. Unless we'd already reached the Nanny State where goats were absolved of all responsibility while driving and not paying attention. ;)

Ah right - so it's perfectly acceptable to scatter any kind of substance on roads and it's the driver who bears responsibility for having the misfortune to drive on it? Some strange thinking going on there... I'm not saying drivers shouldn't adjust their behaviour to the conditions but sometimes you get no warning (like after a blind corner) and on single track roads sometimes you have to brake suddenly when some tool decides they're too important to stop at a passing place.

jacko
02-Mar-13, 14:23
perhaps the council should clean the muck left by the farmer.????

the ordinary motorist pay,s heavy duty on fuel and (road tax for the upkeep of roads )..while farm vehicles pay almost no road tax ..can run on cheap red desiel ...if the farm operators paid the full price that the ordinary motorist pays.
im sure all the farmer s would willingly pay full fuel duty .... and full road tax to offset the council clean up that they the farmers incur on the road s .
im sure all the farmers on here would agree to that........ lol i think not. ...will never happen in a million years.

little miss breezy breeks
02-Mar-13, 14:46
perhaps the council should clean the muck left by the farmer.????

the ordinary motorist pay,s heavy duty on fuel and (road tax for the upkeep of roads )..while farm vehicles pay almost no road tax ..can run on cheap red desiel ...if the farm operators paid the full price that the ordinary motorist pays.
im sure all the farmer s would willingly pay full fuel duty .... and full road tax to offset the council clean up that they the farmers incur on the road s .
im sure all the farmers on here would agree to that........ lol i think not. ...will never happen in a million years.

The council have cleaned up after the farmer...Passed granton mains bower at 11.30 and they were there sweeping the road by hand :confused

jacko
02-Mar-13, 14:51
The council have cleaned up after the farmer...Passed granton mains bower at 11.30 and they were there sweeping the road by hand :confused
WELL SPOTTED . little miss breezy breek,s .

im sure the owner of Granton Mains contributed toward the expense of that clean up . hmmmm

secrets in symmetry
02-Mar-13, 14:57
The council have cleaned up after the farmer...Passed granton mains bower at 11.30 and they were there sweeping the road by hand :confusedDoes Council funding not stretch to brooms these days?

little miss breezy breeks
02-Mar-13, 15:03
Does Council funding not stretch to brooms these days?

Do they fund the shovel that you use to fling your crap around this forum most day's?

jacko
02-Mar-13, 15:11
The farmers SHOULD have to clean the roads after themselves. After all, if a car driver is caught throwing rubbish from a car they receive a fine. It's no different to a farmer leaving a trail of mud behind them. As a matter of fact it is far more dangerous than a plastic bottle on the grass verge. I am not condoning rubbish being thrown from a car, but why should farmers get away with it. One day there will be a tragic accident then who would be to blame? Perhaps the council should clean the road and send the farmer the bill.

cans , plastic bottles, rubbish... thats a joke . i was entering a taxi one time, and the driver tossed a fag end outta the window as we entered the cab. a passing police car pulled up and the cop gave the driver a stern warning for littering the road, in fact he was fixing on charging him, but let him off with a warning .
but it seem s it s ok for farmer Giles to leave a ton of sh>t on the road from the field to the farm.

come on now , it s not nice, its not safe and it s not within the law.

secrets in symmetry
02-Mar-13, 15:14
A friend was fined £50 on the spot for dropping a fag end outside Central Station in Glasgow.

Keep up the good work! :cool:

jacko
02-Mar-13, 15:21
A friend was fined £50 on the spot for dropping a fag end outside Central Station in Glasgow.

Keep up the good work! :cool:

there you go then. different stroke s for different folk,s. what crazy mixed up world we live in.

jacko
02-Mar-13, 15:24
Perhaps the council should clean the road verges and nearby fields from all the rubbish that drivers (and passengers) throw out and add it to your council or road tax! How many car drivers are actually caught and fined - certainly none on the road passing our farm.

dont know about the field s ??, but i have seen council worker s cleaning the verges n the ditches .............and if the offender s are caught ejecting stuff from their car s they will be fined......but never heard of a farmer being fined for leaving a road in a mess. and they cant be to hard to trace???????????

2little2late
02-Mar-13, 18:35
......but never heard of a farmer being fined for leaving a road in a mess. and they cant be to hard to trace???????????
Just follow the trail of mud.

jacko
02-Mar-13, 18:48
Just follow the trail of mud.

yeah, right to their front door ........[lol][lol]:lol:

cherokee
02-Mar-13, 19:05
Old Macdonald had a farm
But Mud was on his road
Now old Macdonald had a fight,
So Muck he did off-load.

"A've got me sheep, a've got me coos,
Which all need til' be fed,
If ma tractor causes bother
then in ma footsteps tread. . .

Am up at dawn, cow's in calf
And all ma beasts to see
If YOU would lek a ten hour day
Then please just follow me

Quick breakfast; oh, at half past 5
And a flannel 'til ma face
Wur collie dowg is very keen
He makes sure I keep the pace !

Hid's a struggle in e' winter
But spring will bring the sun?
When days are so much longer
And the snow is almost done

My beasts; my crops, they made me
Into a farmer's son . . .
and when the clock strikes midnight,
then my day is done. "

jacko
02-Mar-13, 19:22
Old Macdonald had a farm
But Mud was on his road
Now old Macdonald had a fight,
So Muck he did off-load.

"A've got me sheep, a've got me coos,
Which all need til' be fed,
If ma tractor causes bother
then in ma footsteps tread. . .

Am up at dawn, cow's in calf
And all ma beasts to see
If YOU would lek a ten hour day
Then please just follow me

Quick breakfast; oh, at half past 5
And a flannel 'til ma face
Wur collie dowg is very keen
He makes sure I keep the pace !

Hid's a struggle in e' winter
But spring will bring the sun?
When days are so much longer
And the snow is almost done

My beasts; my crops, they made me
Into a farmer's son . . .
and when the clock strikes midnight,
then my day is done. "

[lol]:lol:, and they say a farmers work is never done.

in which case , he aught,a get up earlier. :lol:

billmoseley
02-Mar-13, 19:29
having been a farmer for many years i despair had what i have been reading in this thread. Farmers don't like making a mess and in time they do go back and clean up but all you who live up here know the weather can be pretty unpredictable. Fields have to be prepared and sown while there is a window in the weather. No crops = less food = higher prices.

beelag2000
02-Mar-13, 23:11
Ah weel, seein as e balance o opeenion is we shouldna be gutterin up e road wi wur muckin aboot grouwin crops an reeran sheep an biece then a think we should turn e ould county intae a fun park an joost rely on gettin wur maet fae at honest honorable upstanding companies and countries that produce all at deleecious burgers, yum yum

annemarie482
02-Mar-13, 23:52
having been a farmer for many years i despair had what i have been reading in this thread. Farmers don't like making a mess and in time they do go back and clean up but all you who live up here know the weather can be pretty unpredictable. Fields have to be prepared and sown while there is a window in the weather. No crops = less food = higher prices.

Never heed them billmoseley load o guff about nowt!
No happy unless there's something to gurn about ;)
Glad you had good weather this week to get some long overdue jobs done!

M Swanson
03-Mar-13, 00:06
Do they fund the shovel that you use to fling your crap around this forum most day's?

:lol: Game, set and match to you Miss Breezy Breeks. [lol] BTW I love you user name. :cool:

Repped

series2A
03-Mar-13, 01:09
From NFU own guide lines

When field conditions become wetter, farmers must take care to avoid tractor and trailer wheels depositing mud on roads. This can result in a hazard to other road users and as well as the obvious insurance claim issues, has the potential to lead to serious injuries and death.
While most farmers are keenly aware of the risks associated with mud on roads, there is still some confusion about the law in this area and farmers' responsibilities to other road users.
Depositing mud on the road is an offence under the Highways Act. It is the legal responsibility of the farmer to ensure that every precaution is taken to avoid any mud being carried off the field. Accepting that in cultivating and harvesting operations some mud will inevitably end up on the road, it is important to make arrangements to remove it immediately.
If mud is left on roads, warning signs should always be used to alert motorists to the potential hazard. It is also important to make sure that those cleaning the road are clearly visible, wearing reflective florescent clothing, and that the mechanical brusher has hazard warning lights.
To help farmers stay safe - and legal, the following guidelines should be followed:

Do everything possible to prevent mud being deposited on the road. This includes cleaning mud from vehicles, as far as practicable, before they are taken onto the road.
Be prepared to hire in equipment to clean up accidentally deposited mud - check availability in advance.
Keep to your own farm roads and minor roads whenever possible
Keep to low speeds - especially when travelling short distance - to help retain mud on the vehicle.
Keep a written record of your decisions on whether or not to deploy signs and/or to clean the road.
If there is a danger of mud being accidently deposited on roads, use authorised 'Slippery Road' signs with a'Mud on Road' sub plate to alert other road users.
Make sure signs are positioned to give maximum visibility and warning to other road users.
Clean the road as necessary during the working day and always at the end of the working day.
Ensure that labour and equipment is available and is suitable for the soil and weather conditions present.
Where a contractor is used, ensure that prior agreement is reached on who is responsible for mud on road issues (signage, cleaning etc).

mi16
03-Mar-13, 09:34
Mi16, how do you suggest we clean e tyres of our tractors when we're leaving a field?Do you think we can plug a hose into the tap at every field gate?? Or should we tow a bowser of water with us to every field, or do we take out our magic wands and bippity bippity boo, magic it all clean?!? Just take a moment to think through what you said and apply a wee bit of common sense to it please Or alternatively you could keep a half propcorn drum of water at the gate along with a wheel brush

billmoseley
03-Mar-13, 10:14
Or alternatively you could keep a half propcorn drum of water at the gate along with a wheel brush some people have no idea.

mi16
03-Mar-13, 10:37
some people have no idea.Aye no idea of staying withi the law and no idea of how to use the road responsibly

Southern-Gal
03-Mar-13, 10:54
Then the new whinge would be 'farmers leaving water running on the road washing their tractors' ..............
Some people just like a moan.
Half a barrel of water might just wash the windscreen - it would take a bowser or a hose pipe ;)

mi16
03-Mar-13, 11:08
Then the new whinge would be 'farmers leaving water running on the road washing their tractors' ..............Some people just like a moan.Half a barrel of water might just wash the windscreen - it would take a bowser or a hose pipe ;)Are you really suggesting that a half drum (100 litres) of water would not wash tractor tyres?
With the use of a brush very little water is required, you don't need sparkling wheels just get the lumps of mud off the tyres

squidge
03-Mar-13, 11:25
Do you know there is a way to pretty much avoid mud on the roads..... Go live in an urban area ... A big city with little green space around it....

mi16
03-Mar-13, 11:36
Or clean up after yourself

jacko
03-Mar-13, 12:02
some people have no idea.
i beg to differ . seems YOU have no idea. you mess the road , your muck, you clean the road . full stop. THAT IS THE WRITTEN LAW. . what part of that do you not understand??????
its plain see that , untill someone has a serious accident concerning mud on the road and the farmer responcable is taken to court , sentenced and sued, nothing will be done.....look,s like only,and until that happens will farmers do what they should have been doing all along .

Do everything possible to prevent mud being deposited on the road. This includes cleaning mud from vehicles, as far as practicable, before they are taken onto the road.
Be prepared to hire in equipment to clean up accidentally deposited mud - check availability in advance.
Keep to your own farm roads and minor roads whenever possible
Keep to low speeds - especially when travelling short distance - to help retain mud on the vehicle.
Keep a written record of your decisions on whether or not to deploy signs and/or to clean the road.
If there is a danger of mud being accidently deposited on roads, use authorised 'Slippery Road' signs with a'Mud on Road' sub plate to alert other road users.
Make sure signs are positioned to give maximum visibility and warning to other road users.
Clean the road as necessary during the working day and always at the end of the working day.
Ensure that labour and equipment is available and is suitable for the soil and weather conditions present.
Where a contractor is used, ensure that prior agreement is reached on who is responsible for mud on road issues (signage, cleaning etc).

billmoseley
03-Mar-13, 12:52
Are you really suggesting that a half drum (100 litres) of water would not wash tractor tyres?
With the use of a brush very little water is required, you don't need sparkling wheels just get the lumps of mud off the tyres i would like to know what tractor you cleaned like that because it's not one that i have ever done

Croftergirl
03-Mar-13, 13:09
A half barrel of water, phuft, at widna even clean half o ma front tyre and ma tractors no at big! Ohhh n where do you suggest I get the popcorn barrel, as i don't prop any barley here??May I politely suggest Mi16 that you get a weekend workin on a farm and see how it really works. Walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me, and all that!And this thread and ones like it, my strange wee org friends, is why I don't come on here any more. Idiots spouting rubbish as if it's the truth, the whole truth and the only truth. Folk who have no idea, and more importantly, are not willing to listen to anyone else's opionion, seem to have taken over and spoiled what once was a happy wee place. So catch you all later, very very later, if ever!!

gaza
03-Mar-13, 13:22
You know what, iv thought better of the reply I wrote. I'm too tired and the reply was a bit nasty.
If you don't know that us farmers/Crofters are struggling to get up to date with work that should have been done last ear, and that we are enjoyin the first decent spell of good weather in a long time, then I'm not gonna spell it out to you.

Anyway I am of back out to my lambing shed (it's 11pm) I should hopefully get to bed by 1am, and I now I'll be back up and workin by 5am - gaza, if that's LAZY I'd hate to see how many hours a day you expect people to work!!

I ran my own business for 15 years i know how to put the hours in, and if i crossed the line of health and safety regs and the roads department they would shut me down. as a biker i simply ask you to take time out, make two signs and put them out. as an employer my men and the public were my first concern on every contract i undertook and had to be insured, but even then if an accident or death was to happen, then the buck stoped at me, would i have slept at night ? knowing if i'd put that notice up perhaps it wouldn't have happened ? i hope nothing happens sir/madam dew to your lack of action just because you don't have the time or conscience to prevent a potential death.

Croftergirl
03-Mar-13, 13:30
Sir?Does my screen name (crofterGIRL) not give you a subtle hint to my gender.......Anyway see my above post! I'm off.

gaza
03-Mar-13, 13:38
sir?does my screen name (croftergirl) not give you a subtle hint to my gender.......anyway see my above post! I'm off.

i am not asking you to clean the road>>> just warn us of a potential danger>>>>> again >>please>>>please>>>please

sids
03-Mar-13, 13:43
Sir?Does my screen name (crofterGIRL) not give you a subtle hint to my gender.......Anyway see my above post! I'm off.

Will you be "off" for longer than 21 minutes this time?

secrets in symmetry
03-Mar-13, 13:56
A half barrel of water, phuft, at widna even clean half o ma front tyre and ma tractors no at big! Ohhh n where do you suggest I get the popcorn barrel, as i don't prop any barley here??May I politely suggest Mi16 that you get a weekend workin on a farm and see how it really works. Walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me, and all that!And this thread and ones like it, my strange wee org friends, is why I don't come on here any more. Idiots spouting rubbish as if it's the truth, the whole truth and the only truth. Folk who have no idea, and more importantly, are not willing to listen to anyone else's opionion, seem to have taken over and spoiled what once was a happy wee place. So catch you all later, very very later, if ever!!Don't drop your dummy in the mud on the way out lol!

telfordstar
03-Mar-13, 15:32
another thread blown totally out off proportion :-)

billmoseley
03-Mar-13, 17:50
another thread blown totally out off proportion :-) i disagree i think it is a healthy debate of 2 differing opinions none of which will probably win the day but least people are seeing both sides of the story

parkie
03-Mar-13, 18:15
lol nice 1
:Razz

sids
03-Mar-13, 18:42
It's too bad skidding on the gutter,

You need the farmer for your mutton, meal and butter.

motopitcrew
03-Mar-13, 19:02
its the country live with it soap and water wii
l clean your car

mi16
03-Mar-13, 20:00
its the country live with it soap and water wiil clean your carIt wont regenerate your life from an accident though

changilass
03-Mar-13, 21:14
If you cannae see the gutters on the road then you shouldn't be driving, if you can, the simple sloution is to adjust your driving accordingly.

If you still don't like it, then as has already been suggested maybe you shouldnae be living in the country.

For goodness sake, next fowk will be moaning about the smell at muck spreading.

RagnarRocks
03-Mar-13, 21:22
I've only just moved here but lived in aural areas most of my life, mud on roads and horses animals etc are to be expected in a rural area I've no problem dealing with any of those but the speeds which some people drive up here is stupidly fast. I was overtaken at 50 mph by a car doing well over 70 so I'd say speed is the big problem, drive to suit the road conditions, simples .

gaza
03-Mar-13, 21:51
Well the drivers that are on the Castletown/Bower road if you can't see the sign there you should not be driving and i would strongly suggest you get your eyes tested. Farmers are very busy at the moment catching up with dung spreading and ploughing. I know there is a drop of gutters on the road but drivers should drive according to the road conditions and gutters on the road mean take your feet off the accelerator or you may slide just like on a frosty morning ( i know people don't notice frost either). Gaza you must be a very hard working person if you have the cheek to call me a lazy farmer as i've been working for the last 15 hours and because i have another cow calving will probably still be on the go for another few hours and may not even get to bed tonight/morning, so pray tell me what you do for a living?

My previous post shows what i do for a living and its the life i choose to do along with the responsibility's it has, as you choose to live your working life you also have responsibility's. I am not asking you to clean your tractor or the roads, Just that as a biker ON TWO WHEELS i am NOT telepathic nor can i see round corners or see over rises in the road, so when i come round a corner leaning as you do on a bike to suddenly find mud, you cannot brake hard nor lean and swerve. thus is the request for a warning sign (legal requirement) tiss all we ask.

gaza
03-Mar-13, 21:54
If you cannae see the gutters on the road then you shouldn't be driving, if you can, the simple sloution is to adjust your driving accordingly.

If you still don't like it, then as has already been suggested maybe you shouldnae be living in the country.

For goodness sake, next fowk will be moaning about the smell at muck spreading.

As above............

gaza
03-Mar-13, 21:55
I've only just moved here but lived in aural areas most of my life, mud on roads and horses animals etc are to be expected in a rural area I've no problem dealing with any of those but the speeds which some people drive up here is stupidly fast. I was overtaken at 50 mph by a car doing well over 70 so I'd say speed is the big problem, drive to suit the road conditions, simples .

As above..........

gaza
03-Mar-13, 21:58

As above.........

gaza
03-Mar-13, 22:01

In time you say you'll clean up to late im dead a warning would have saved me.

sids
03-Mar-13, 22:06
My above post shows what i do for a living and its the life i choose do do along with the responsibility's it has, as you choose to live your working life you also have responsibility's. I am not asking you to clean your tractor or the roads, Just that as a biker ON TWO WHEELS i am NOT telepathic nor can i see round corners or see over rises in the road, so when i come round a corner leaning as you do on a bike to suddenly find mud, you cannot brake hard nor lean and swerve. thus is the request for a warning sign (legal requirement) tiss all we ask.

You're going to have to slow down, aren't you?

changilass
03-Mar-13, 22:07
You shouldnae be going round corners that fast that you cannae slow down, that might be a kid in the road rather than a bit of muck.

Moira
03-Mar-13, 22:11
In time you say you'll clean up to late im dead a warning would have saved me.

Open your eyes to what's happening around you and drive according to the road conditions would be my suggestion. If you do that you'll wake up alive - not dead. The responsibility is yours, no point in trying to shunt the blame onto someone else. :)

gaza
03-Mar-13, 22:16
You're going to have to slow down, aren't you?

Travelling at a safe legal speed limit as i do, dose not help me see round bends. and will not give me the powers to know there's mud on the road round there.

gaza
03-Mar-13, 22:21
You shouldnae be going round corners that fast that you cannae slow down, that might be a kid in the road rather than a bit of muck.

If there's a kid on a clean road my brakes and wheels will slow me down. if there's mud i will slip and slide no mater what speed then whose fault would it be not mine nor the kids MMMMMMM

gaza
03-Mar-13, 22:23
Open your eyes to what's happening around you and drive according to the road conditions would be my suggestion. If you do that you'll wake up alive - not dead. The responsibility is yours, no point in trying to shunt the blame onto someone else. :)

Clean roads don't make drivers telepathic.

sids
03-Mar-13, 22:23
If there's a kid on a clean road my brakes and wheels will slow me down. if there's mud i will slip and slide no mater what speed then whose fault would it be not mine nor the kids MMMMMMM

Ok don't slow down then.

Best of luck.

mi16
03-Mar-13, 22:24
Ignorance is bliss

gaza
03-Mar-13, 22:30
Ok don't slow down then.

Best of luck.

sids .......... Are you for reel.

sids
03-Mar-13, 22:40
sids .......... Are you for reel.

I'm not against "reel," whatever that is.

beelag2000
03-Mar-13, 22:43
Wid at be an "Eightsome Reel" or e "Witches Reel"

gaza
03-Mar-13, 22:46
Exactly ...............................;)

secrets in symmetry
03-Mar-13, 23:21
This thread gets better with every page. :cool:

Shaggy
04-Mar-13, 02:36
i'm thinking of opening a people stable in Caithness seeing as theres so many blinkered peeps here!

Before you all start ranting on and on at this thread, note that i consider myself to be a professional driver, one with almost 30 years experience of the road. I have passed the test for almost every category you can get on a licence!. i've passed the tests, had the training and enjoyed the experience. Oh i've no doubt that i've probably met you all coming the other way or even hurtling past me on the odd blind bend or dip or even had you sticking the fingers up and sounding your horn when i've held you up for a bit but i'm the one with the proven track record of driving!

So here's my experienced tuppence worth!

If you cannot read the road conditions be it mud, ice or whatever, then you should NOT be in control of any type of motor vehicle. SIMPLE!!

If you are driving too fast so that you cannot read the road conditions then no-one else is to blame should (god forbid) anything happen.

If you are driving too fast that you cannot see round the corner then i suggest you stop, get off or out of your vehicle and go and have a lie down!.
NO-ONE can see round corners therefore drive accordingly!

It makes not one iota of a difference what lies round the corner, nor who is to blame, if theres mud, ice or another broken down vehicle round that blind corner and you hit it or swerve to avoid it, then its YOU thats at fault, not the farmer, the ice or the car owner but YOU because you were not driving with due care and attention!

The main thing i see here is everyone has "blame" issues! they themselves are never to blame (oh no, never themselves!) but always seeking to blame someone else for their misfortune!
its all about COMMON SENSE! but i can see that not many of the people on this site seem to have it and are only happy when they are having a dig at others irrespective of the situation

We all want to be safe on the roads and im sure that the farmers want this too but its a fine line when its a livelihood v a life. I drive off road often and i've seen many a time when mud gets deposited from another trucks' wheels and as i've just come down the very same track there's no doubt i would have been depositing the same and i've also had a near miss when a large rock was catapulted through my windscreen from another trucks rear wheels when it became lodged between the tyres and was shaken loose when he got up to speed but i've learned to stay well back from them now and i choose NOT to bitch on here because i know IT DOESN'T MAKE ONE IOTA OF A DIFFERENCE

So give it a rest because no-one seems to be bothered about the moaning opinions!

sids
04-Mar-13, 03:54
Before you all start ranting on and on at this thread,

You haven't passed the timing test.

series2A
04-Mar-13, 04:53
The Law

Farmers and vehicle operators who deposit mud on the road are potentially liable for a range of offences. This guidance note is not a complete statement of the law or of your possible liabilities.
Criminal Law

A range of powers is available to the police and Highways Department, primarily under the Highways Act 1980, the Road Traffic Act 1988. Highways Act 1980 Section 137 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence”. Highways Act 1980 Section 148 “If without lawful authority or excuse a person deposits anything whatsoever on a highway to the interruption of any user of the highway he is guilty of an offence”. What you SHOULD do

* Be prepared to hire in equipment - check availability in advance
* Keep to your own farm roads and minor roads whenever possible
* Keep to low speeds - especially when travelling short distance - to help retain mud on the vehicle.
* Be prepared to keep a written record of your decisions on whether or not to deploy signs and/or to clean the road

What you MUST do

* Do everything possible to prevent mud being deposited on the road. This includes cleaning mud from vehicles, as far as practicable, before they are taken onto the road. The fact that cleaning mud off tractors and attachments is commercially inconvenient may not be a defence in law.
* Only use signs that are authorised. The recommended sign shows the ‘Slippery Road’ triangle with ‘Mud on Road’ sub plate. If appropriate, the ‘Men at Work’ sign should be used. Signs must be at least 750mm.. Make sure they are positioned to give maximum visibility and warning to other road users.
* Clean the road as necessary during the working day and always at the end of the working day.
* Ensure that labour and equipment is available and is suitable for the soil and weather conditions present.
* Where a contractor is used, ensure that prior agreement is reached on who is responsible for mud on road issues (signage, cleaning etc) and ensure that adequate public liability insurance is in place.

Highways Act 1980 Section 161 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, deposits anything whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence”. Furthermore, the Road Traffic Act 1988 covers situations where a mechanically propelled vehicle is driven dangerously on a road. Driving dangerously can include driving a vehicle in a state that could cause danger to others. Punishment for these offences ranges from fines to imprisonment.
Civil Action

Civil action can occur where the presence of mud results in personal injury, damage to property, loss or inconvenience. The presence of mud can constitute a public nuisance and loss or injury can result in a claim for negligence.
Health & Safety

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, employers have a duty to look after the health and safety, not only of themselves, their family and employees, but of anyone who may be affected by their working operations. Employees also have responsibilities to themselves and others.

Recovery of Clean Up Costs by Highways Authority

The County Council/Highways Authority has a duty to assert and protect the rights of road users. Section 149 of the Highways Act 1980 gives the Highways Authority the power to clean the road and recover its expenses from the person causing the obstruction.

This guidance note is not a definitive guide of responsibility and conduct. Compliance with it will not provide exemption from liability but may be used by enforcement officers as a checklist when visiting the scene of the incident or site of public complaint.

mi16
04-Mar-13, 09:57
And there you have it.Giles get the road cleaned after you!!!

jacko
04-Mar-13, 10:22
And there you have it.Giles get the road cleaned after you!!!

agreed , from an ex trucker who has passed every test as well...40+ years experience. ..hgv...cpc,,,adr....,psv....car... m/bike... we pay a shed load of taxes . rates ... road tax fuel duty.
we have a right to demand safe clean roads.

joxville
04-Mar-13, 11:01
Yes, the farmer may have a duty of care to other road users by cleaning the road as soon as possible, but the Highway Code states that you 'drive only as fast as you can safely stop', which means whatever the road conditions are, you adjust your speed accordingly. As Shaggy said above, regardless of the circumstances, when you are in control of a vehicle you must drive with due car and attention.

mi16
04-Mar-13, 11:10
Yes, the farmer may have a duty of care to other road users by cleaning the road as soon as possible, but the Highway Code states that you 'drive only as fast as you can safely stop', which means whatever the road conditions are, you adjust your speed accordingly. As Shaggy said above, regardless of the circumstances, when you are in control of a vehicle you must drive with due car and attention.

In the event of an accident in these circunstances, the accident would be investigated and blame would be apportioned to the relevant parties.

You can bet your bottom dollar though that the person who coated the road in mud would be dealt with in court alongside any other guilty party.

joxville
04-Mar-13, 11:28
And rightly so mi16, I just wish those who have moaned on this thread realise they also bear some responsibility.

mi16
04-Mar-13, 11:37
And rightly so mi16, I just wish those who have moaned on this thread realise they also bear some responsibility.

of course they do, and I dont think anyone has said anything otherwise throughout the thread.

jacko
04-Mar-13, 11:52

The majority of us motorist s DO drive with care and attention, ....but ,why please answer me, why do we have to endure filthy roads...... i have seen farmers pull out of fields and dart up the road throwing muck out after them ....it s not so bad when their towing something as the trailer gets the bulk of the muck, but a tractor (no trailer) pulling straight out of a muddy field . come on now you know exactly what i mean. and i will wager you that more motorists drive carefully than there are farmers cleaning up after them. farming is a business just like any other, you are in business to earn buck,s invest and prosper , and any business should take care of the general public on a care and protection policy.

mi16
04-Mar-13, 12:59
The majority of us motorist s DO drive with care and attention, ....but ,why please answer me, why do we have to endure filthy roads...... i have seen farmers pull out of fields and dart up the road throwing muck out after them ....it s not so bad when their towing something as the trailer gets the bulk of the muck, but a tractor (no trailer) pulling straight out of a muddy field . come on now you know exactly what i mean. and i will wager you that more motorists drive carefully than there are farmers cleaning up after them. farming is a business just like any other, you are in business to earn buck,s invest and prosper , and any business should take care of the general public on a care and protection policy.

The thing is that if the tracotr is driven with the thought of the road then it needent chuck out all the mud, its when they are run flat out that the mud is flung.
Again it boils down to little or no consideration for other road users.

jacko
04-Mar-13, 13:13
The thing is that if the tracotr is driven with the thought of the road then it needent chuck out all the mud, its when they are run flat out that the mud is flung.
Again it boils down to little or no consideration for other road users.

never a truer word said.

samantha333
04-Mar-13, 17:45
Nice to see some signs up on the Castletown to wick today..

gaza
04-Mar-13, 19:17
I don't care if someone's car or my car gets dirty I don't care if my bike gets dirty i don't care if the road dosent get cleaned, i just don't want to ride my bike on a dry sunny day at 10 miles an hour round every corner for fear of MUD right there on the road opposite the fields gate just because a farmer wont put a sign up (its the law) to tell me there's mud just round the corner so if your on a bike tuff because you wont be able to brake because you'll slide and maybe hit another biker or kid on a bike or someone walking or get crushed under a lorry because even at walking pace Ill slide because im on TWO, THAT'S 2 WHEELS.

Now ive tried my best to explain the bikers position in fact ive given every detail as if explaining it to a child so if you dont see were im coming from go read the highway code and the roads and transport regs and the farmers union and health and safety regs.

I asked at the beginning for a little sign, just a little one just a bit of a warning that was all
BUT no i say nay....... I'm accused of being a moaner, a mad driver, being blind, and an idiot.
Well well.

sids
04-Mar-13, 19:30
People do more than 10mph on mud, on bikes, quite happily.

billmoseley
04-Mar-13, 19:50
mean while the farmer just ploughs on

changilass
04-Mar-13, 20:15
How many brain cells are required to work out that, after the awful weather we have had of late, the first sign of good weather means that the farmers can get on with their job. This means there will be mud on the road.

I don't need a sign to tell me that, its just common sense - which seems mighty lacking in some.

mi16
04-Mar-13, 20:20
And during the job they should have warning signs out, on completion they should be cleaning the road.Simples everyone's a winner

jacko
04-Mar-13, 21:37
How many brain cells are required to work out that, after the awful weather we have had of late, the first sign of good weather means that the farmers can get on with their job. This means there will be mud on the road.

I don't need a sign to tell me that, its just common sense - which seems mighty lacking in some.

so , now your questioning the intelligence of the folks on this forum . (How many brain cells are required to work out that,)
and your telling us that, say , on a trip anywhere between Land s End and John O Groats the motorist should expect to encounter mud on the roads anywhere on that journey at the first sign of good weather??? just becouse farmers are out making hay and money.

P/S ,,afterthought. that aughta do the tourist industry a power of good.????

gaza
04-Mar-13, 22:15
Wow changilass .... someone should tell the roads department they don't need any road signs, and traffic lights, chips on the road signs, oil on road signs, land slip signs, men at work signs, flooding ahead signs, flashing light signs, pelican crossing signs, school signs, the list goes on, "O" and tell the police they to no longer have to escort large or wide loads with there flashing blue lights. and when you've crashed because of the lack of signs they don't need there flashing blue lights or accident ahead signs. because YOU'VE got common sense.

WAKE UP.

I repeat its dark put a sign up, just one little sign.....PLEASE.....PLEASE.....PLEASE

sids
04-Mar-13, 22:20
Mud on the road?

These guys might have something to say about that!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/tritonthrasher/image-20_zpse440b5ea.jpg

gaza
04-Mar-13, 22:23
Mud on the road?

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/tritonthrasher/image-20_zpse440b5ea.jpg

Have they got together again ? ? ? ? I never saw the signs.

luskentyre
08-Mar-13, 01:53

You know it speaks volumes that you need to be insulting to try and get your point across.

What about blind corners? What about driving at night? What about single track roads where you may be required to brake suddenly because some idiot doesn't realise what a passing place is for?

If you'd read all the posts here you'd realise that the NFU's own guidelines state that farmers should (amongst other things):

a) prevent fouling public roads where possible
b) clean up after themselves
c) make other road users aware

Can you give me a reason why these guidelines shouldn't apply to Caithness farmers?

I really don't think it's expecting too much to be able to drive on roads which are safe, or at the very least be notified where there are hazzards.

dx100uk
08-Mar-13, 02:37
10/10 for mr coultard for the tv advert exactly outlining this problem

http://icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk/news/scottish/tm_headline=coulthard-fronts-road-safety-advert%26method=full%26objectid=32918135%26siteid= 50141-name_page.html#story_continue

dx

squidge
08-Mar-13, 08:19
Mud on the road?

Thats showaddywaddy!!!

sids
08-Mar-13, 13:02
Thats showaddywaddy!!!

You don't say!

squidge
08-Mar-13, 14:33
Lol Sids.... I now feel like Margot from the good life.... (Another 70s reference) Not a clue ... Whoooosh over my head!

Alice in Blunderland
08-Mar-13, 14:49
Can you give me a reason why these guidelines shouldn't apply to Caithness farmers?

cause they're from Caithness. ;)

Alice in Blunderland
08-Mar-13, 21:40
Looks like the police are starting campaign in Monday you will not believe whats covered in it............... ;) go on folks check the linky ...

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?198978-Police-to-highlight-rural-road-dangers