PDA

View Full Version : Scandal in the assembly rooms!!!!!!

_Ju_
05-Jan-07, 18:13
I have been told by a reliable source of something very scandalous: there is not enough blood in the blood banks to help ill or traumatised people in the hospital. If you want something done about this, please go to the assembly rooms on Teusday the 23rd January and make sure that you do your bit to make sure that we solve this problem.....

Don't forget: TEUSDAY 23 JANUARY! STOP THE SCANDAL!!!!;) GIVE BLOOD!

Ricco
05-Jan-07, 18:31
Just been to give blood locally yesterday - my 53rd. I don't know why more people don't go. It costs nothing, saves a life, free tea and biscuits.. all for a little jab in the arm and 15 minutes of time.

Come on everyone - save a life.:D

rfr10
05-Jan-07, 18:38
I would but I'm too young

justine
05-Jan-07, 18:42
i USED TO GIVE BLOOD BUT AFTER HAVING A TRANSFUSION IN PREGNANCY MY BLOOD HAS CHANGED AND NOW CREATES ANTI-BODIES, I CAN NO LONDER DONATE AND THINK PEOPLE SHOULD THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE ACCEPTING A TRANSFUSION UNLESS IT LIFE THREATENING.

danc1ngwitch
05-Jan-07, 18:44
i cannot give blood as well I'v lost enough in the last month.
I will next time around tho .. hope lots consider it. x

The Angel Of Death
05-Jan-07, 19:44
Provided I can get my shift changed from work then I will be there

It cost nothing to save a life I wouldnt be around myself if someone else hadnt donated blood for me when i was a wee nipper. I just cant understant people who wont go cause there dont like needles I got to admit I aint a big fan but I just look away from it and then im fine. I wonder if these same people would refuse a life saving transfusion because they dont like needles ???

And as said before you get a free biscuit (always the tunnocks tea cake for me !!!)

_Ju_
05-Jan-07, 19:58
i USED TO GIVE BLOOD BUT AFTER HAVING A TRANSFUSION IN PREGNANCY MY BLOOD HAS CHANGED AND NOW CREATES ANTI-BODIES, I CAN NO LONDER DONATE AND THINK PEOPLE SHOULD THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE ACCEPTING A TRANSFUSION UNLESS IT LIFE THREATENING.

Hi Justine, I am sorry to hear that you needed a transfusion. Transfusions are used when they are needed and not superflousley, so I am sure it must have been very scarey to have one when you were pregnant. Sometimes the exact same blood as your own is not available and if the situation is life threatening, an inexact match can be given as long as it's the very first transfusion. After that antibodies will exist that will attack subsequent transfusions of the same type. For example, if you are O Rh- and there was only O Rh+, and it was given to you, you would recieve the first transfusion no problem, but the second time you recieved O Rh+ you would have antibodies against Rh+ blood and they would destroy the transfused blood. The existence of these anitbodies in itself would not under usual circumstances be a problem.

As far as I know, after you have recieved a transfusion, you can no longer give blood, but your family members can help save lives. You also cannot give blood if you engage in risk behaviours or have or have had certain diseases (ie: jaundice, hepatitis, etc). But all this is discussed in private with a nurse beforehand.

I hope you all think about what you can give, be it your blood or encouraging your families/friends to do so. One day me or my son might need it and hope there is someone there for us.

wi46
05-Jan-07, 20:58
I understand the importance of blood donors but I know someone who runs a large organisation who asked the blood service to attend the large company for a day to get the staff to donate, and they were advised it was not worth thier while for only 600 people? cant be that desperate then eh

sweetpea
05-Jan-07, 21:09
I said I would go the last time this was discussed so I will arrange to be in Wick that day, only thing is I'm not sure but I might have had a transfusion before.

henry20
05-Jan-07, 21:11
If you had a transfusion before 1980, you can still donate. If it was after, you can't.

cuddlepop
05-Jan-07, 21:15
Would give if I could but as my red stuff is full of bugs I cant.:~(
Starting giving blood at college which was handy.Now you've got to be free when the mobile's over from Inverness which isn't always easy.

bingo1
05-Jan-07, 21:55
I would if i could but i have endo and suffer with enemia so better not eh...
Hope it turns out ok though.

wifie
05-Jan-07, 23:23
Shame about the company who were refused a visit by the Blood Donation people but I am sure they are asking in Wick for a good reason and if you can please help them out. I don't give blood as I am one of those people for whom it really is like getting blood out of a stone - I went in Thurso years ago, it took for ever, I nearly conked out and as my blood is not a rare type they told me not to come back. My husband gives regulary and has done so for years and both my children cannot wait until they are old enough to give blood also.

_Ju_
05-Jan-07, 23:39
I understand the importance of blood donors but I know someone who runs a large organisation who asked the blood service to attend the large company for a day to get the staff to donate, and they were advised it was not worth thier while for only 600 people? cant be that desperate then eh

Like everything there has to be money to pay for nurses, transport of equipment , personel and blood. Perhaps they had other options that would be more productive than the 600 people at this organization...it's hard to tell you are in a forest by looking at a leaf.

peedie
06-Jan-07, 13:25
does anybody know where you can give blood in aberdeen? i always used to give when i was in wick but i've never found anywhere to give in aberdeen or any adverts telling me

_Ju_
06-Jan-07, 15:48
Aberdeen is quite big, so you can probably go to the hospital any day, but to make sure, why not try giving the blood people a call:0845 90 90 999

http://www.scotblood.co.uk/
(For info on aberdeen: http://www.scotblood.co.uk/north_east_of_scotland.html )

daviddd
06-Jan-07, 17:45
I used to give blood but 10 years ago I was told I was no longer acceptable, due to having previously had a back op - something to do with 'risky' tissue and CJD. Is CJD still around anyway? I haven't heard much about it lately; it was predicted to wipe us all out a few years ago.

Woolie
06-Jan-07, 17:48
i USED TO GIVE BLOOD BUT AFTER HAVING A TRANSFUSION IN PREGNANCY MY BLOOD HAS CHANGED AND NOW CREATES ANTI-BODIES, I CAN NO LONDER DONATE AND THINK PEOPLE SHOULD THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE ACCEPTING A TRANSFUSION UNLESS IT LIFE THREATENING.snap justine same here used to give twice a year but now i can't . due too transfustion after having my last baby.

Woolie
06-Jan-07, 17:51
Snap I am in the same boat as i had a transfushion after my last baby and was told i would not be able to give blood again used to but not in last 10 yrs

_Ju_
07-Jan-07, 21:30
Nudge, nudge

emb123
07-Jan-07, 22:07
I used to give blood but 10 years ago I was told I was no longer acceptable, due to having previously had a back op - something to do with 'risky' tissue and CJD. Is CJD still around anyway? I haven't heard much about it lately; it was predicted to wipe us all out a few years ago.
That's not due to kick in yet. I think the flu pandemic is set to take out most of us and then CJD will take out a load more a ten years later. :(

Off the top of my head I think the incubation period for CJD was in the region of 20-30 years. It's some sort of ultrasmall particle a 'prion' or something like that I think.

If I've made it to Wick by 23rd then I'll give blood. Probably going to be a week or 2 later the way things are working out.

_Ju_
08-Jan-07, 12:07
Bumpety bump

_Ju_
09-Jan-07, 00:47
and yet another bump......this is gonna be a long couple of weeks