PDA

View Full Version : What do they do?

phantom
23-Feb-13, 15:51
Have seen a couple of guys in blue vests around Thurso what do they do? think they might be council. Anyone know?

gmcborgie
23-Feb-13, 16:16
Could it be the new Street Pastors? http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Street-pastors-plan-for-Wick-and-Thurso-14102011.htm

oldchemist
23-Feb-13, 18:17
No surprised they're blue if they're oot in their vests in this weather.

davem
23-Feb-13, 18:51
Whale and Dolphin Watchers I believe.

Alrock
24-Feb-13, 00:22
Is that not the "Community Wardens" that have been springing up everywhere?

As for what they do.... Your guess is as good as mine.

Tugmistress
24-Feb-13, 11:52
Yes Alrock, I saw a couple of them last week in the blue 'hi-viz' vests and it said community warden on the back, and like you i have no idea what they actually do!

phantom
24-Feb-13, 12:26
Found this about Community Wardens on Highland Council website

What do the Wardens become involved in?

Combating fly tipping, graffiti and dog fouling
Identifying and reporting incidents of vandalism
Working with young people
Visiting vulnerable residents
Establishing links with local schools
Working in partnership with resident associations and community councils
Becoming involved in environmental improvements and projects
Carrying out regular patrols of communities
Community Wardens can have a significant impact upon the incidence of fly-tipping, graffiti and abandoned cars and are involved with identifying and reporting instances of vandalism, ensuring that remedial action is taken more quickly. Community Wardens can also have an important role in chasing up residents with unsightly gardens and ensuring that they are maintained satisfactorily in future.

The wardens become well known to the children of the areas they serve and work hard to encourage young people to have more respect for their surroundings, particularly in terms of graffiti and littering. They also establish useful links with local schools.

Tugmistress
24-Feb-13, 12:37
I particularly like this bit

The wardens become well known to the children of the areas they serve and work hard to encourage young people to have more respect for their surroundings, particularly in terms of graffiti and littering. They also establish useful links with local schools.

I hope the parents are also teaching the kids respect for their surroundings anyway as a matter of course! the amount of kids i see (usually high school) just opening a sweet like a mars bar or something similar and just throw the wrapper on the floor is unreal :(

billmoseley
24-Feb-13, 13:37
Tugs surely you don't expect parents to teach their kids anything nowadays. That is down to school teachers and just about anybody else but themselves. (rant over now) :lol:

Alrock
24-Feb-13, 17:22
Found this about Community Wardens on Highland Council website

What do the Wardens become involved in?

Combating fly tipping, graffiti and dog fouling
Identifying and reporting incidents of vandalism
Working with young people
Visiting vulnerable residents
Establishing links with local schools
Working in partnership with resident associations and community councils
Becoming involved in environmental improvements and projects
Carrying out regular patrols of communities

Community Wardens can have a significant impact upon the incidence of fly-tipping, graffiti and abandoned cars and are involved with identifying and reporting instances of vandalism, ensuring that remedial action is taken more quickly. Community Wardens can also have an important role in chasing up residents with unsightly gardens and ensuring that they are maintained satisfactorily in future.

Fair enough... But what do they actually do?

ducati
25-Feb-13, 23:09
Fair enough... But what do they actually do?

Attract funding?:eek: More nanny state nonsense if you ask me. Youse people can't be trusted to blow your noses. :lol:

sids
25-Feb-13, 23:11
the amount of kids i see (usually high school) just opening a sweet like a mars bar or something similar and just throw the wrapper on the floor is unreal :(

The floor of what?

martynj
26-Feb-13, 17:08
I have 4 children and do not expect anyone else but myself and my husband to teach them to respect people and their surroundings thanks very much , not all parents are the same and have no idea what they're children get up half the time. I certainly do not think it's a teachers job or wardens job.!! (Rant over now) 😡

Thumper
26-Feb-13, 17:14
Does it really matter what they do? It is two less people for people to moan about not having jobs,although they will probably moan about them being paid to walk the streets now instead grr x

Rheghead
26-Feb-13, 17:30
Are they Highland council's answer to the Guardian Angels?