PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Quarries -Miller family

Angela
05-Jan-07, 13:40
Can anybody help me with the location of the flagstone quarries in Caithness please?
My gt gt aunt Jane Munro married George Miller a quarrier from ? Quarryside, Castletown in 1880. His parents were Alexander Miller, master mason, and Johan Stephen.
I've got some other connections with quarriers but I've temporarily mislaid them.
Any info would be much appreciated :)

jimbews
05-Jan-07, 18:22
Can anybody help me with the location of the flagstone quarries in Caithness please?
My gt gt aunt Jane Munro married George Miller a quarrier from ? Quarryside, Castletown in 1880. His parents were Alexander Miller, master mason, and Johan Stephen.
I've got some other connections with quarriers but I've temporarily mislaid them.
Any info would be much appreciated :)

Close to Castletown, see multimap:
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=320000&Y=967500&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=&zm=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=239&multimap.y=137

Not all old quarries are on the map. For example I was looking for Stonegunn quarry, and a contact had to tell me it was about Sibmister, about 3km to the south-west of Quarryside.

jimbews

Angela
05-Jan-07, 19:06
Thanks a lot! I really must buy some maps to see the smaller places and how they relate to other.
The other relation I know of who was involved with quarrying was my gt gt uncle Hugh Munro - he married Christina Manson, whose father John Manson was also a quarrier.
Hugh & Christina married at Castletown in 1869. Hugh was a farm manager at Quarryside in 1881, by 1891 he was working as a quarrier, but by 1901 had returned to farming at West Watten Mains.
I knew the quarries were there, but I've no idea really of how long they kept going or how many men were involved with them. I must try to find out more.
Thanks for your help.
Angela :D