PDA

View Full Version : Hobnobbing With the Rich and Famous?

M Swanson
23-Feb-13, 08:52
I would imagine that many of us, at varying times in our life, have met a well-known celebrity, or two. When I shared a flat in London with two other girls, I met several memorable people. One of my mates dated Gareth Hunt, who was even more handsome in real life than he was on television. He starred in 'The New Avengers,' and 'Upstairs, Downstairs.' What you saw was what you got and I was very fond of him. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago. Another 'character,' was Twiggy, who I often met up with and chatted to, whilst we were shopping in 'Safeways,' on the Edgware Road. Everyone recognised her and I remember the humble, pink, Mini car she buzzed around town in. Eric Sykes was a funny man on screen, but I found him very grumpy in real life. In fairness to him, though, he was very hard of hearing and chatting could be really uphill. Finally, one of the most pleasant men I met was the DJ, Tony Blackburn. He was a very good-natured man, but he was having a hard time, with his failing marriage to Tessa Wyatt. They had fame, a lovely home and all the comforts, but were not happy.

Anyway, that's just a few names to drop! :D Do you have any to offer? Bet you do! :cool:

Flynn
23-Feb-13, 09:59
One of my friends was a famous singer in the early 80s. Her parties can be a who's who of 80s new wave and soul talent. To be honest though they're just people like anyone.

mi16
23-Feb-13, 10:15
Met sir jimmy savile once
He rubbed me up the wrong way

squidge
23-Feb-13, 10:28
No one terribly famous. My dad worked for Granada TV for thirty years so met quite a few TV people from Corrie and the like. Met Danny La Rue when I was a child with my sister. Very nice man. Princess Anne a couple of times, Donald Dewar too. When I worked in a department store in Manchester I sold Rita Fairclough the hat she wore for Len Faircloughs funeral. Met Joan Collins once and ooh ooh ooh Piers Brosnan in passing .... Swoooooooooon

cptdodger
23-Feb-13, 11:54
Quite a few, because I worked for Bourne Leisure for over a year, the ones that stand out though are - Les McKeown, original lead singer of The Bay City Rollers, all I have to say about him is, you should never meet your idols !! Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet) really nice man. Edwin Starr, American soul singer, I met him just before he sadly passed away, such a gentleman. Stephen Mulhern, who presented Britains got more talent, still keep in touch now. Suzi Quatro, she was nice enough, Boy George, no matter what time of day or night, you never saw him without his makeup! really nice guy. Peter Cox from Go West, very standoffish. I could go on ! But as for real stars, my dad used to work on the Tay Ferries in Dundee, before the road bridge was built, and he used to ferry the likes of Bing Crosby and Bob Hope over to the golf in Monifieth, now they, I would class as superstars in their day !

joxville
23-Feb-13, 12:09
In my younger days when I was DJ'ing in Glasgow I met many celebs, or future celebs. I got to know a couple of Radio Clyde DJ's quite well, and also drank with the guys in Wet Wet Wet a few times before they hit the big time. Ross King, who was at Radio Clyde at the time, is a nice guy, very down to earth, went on to be the celebrity reporter for ITV in L.A., as did Jakki Brambles, who worked at Westsound Radio at the time. She was lovely to look at but very offhand with people. When I moved to Hampshire I had a friend who worked in motorsport so went to many GP's and other race car events, so met many drivers, and former drivers. Jody Scheckter is arrogant.

Phill
23-Feb-13, 12:40
I saw the Will Young once, I got a row of wifey as I didn't point him out to her, I assumed she would have seem him too being stood next to me at the time.

Partan
23-Feb-13, 12:58
I used to smoke in the Wick High School lavvies with Ian Sutherland. The ootsiders will not know who he is, but if you're a Wicker he is up there with royalty.

Partan

starfish
23-Feb-13, 13:01
a family member is brain tufano he done the cimematography on z car to andy pandy but the most famous of his work is quadrophenia and trainspotters also alison moyet was a freind of my sister she was just a normal college girl really pleasant

PantsMAN
23-Feb-13, 13:22
I kent everyone's faither......

annemarie482
23-Feb-13, 14:00
My hubby and I met ice road trucker Lisa Kelly last year a Edinburghs truckfest, lovely lass :) (see pics)

Met phil Taylor " the power" (darts player)
And bobby george ( darts player) not so keen on him :eek:
Met Alan shearer in the Newcastle utd superstore, what a nice a genuine guy!

Met these celebs when they did John o groats to lands end for sports relief
Fearne cotton,
David Williams,
Patrick keilty,
Russell Howard.

Met former singer Susanne shaw, quentin wilson from top gear, chips star Eric Estrada, blue peters John noakes and Peter pervis, actor brain blessed, Jenni falconer, dj's jk and Joel, and bad girls Antonia okonma
They were in keiss pub for an hour in 2005 when I worked there, they stopped whilst filming a celeb driving programme John o groats/ lands end.

Have also meet the queen and prince Phillip in the assembly rooms when I was in the highland youth voice (junior parliament) but that's going back a lot of years! Lol but I remember liking prince Phillip, and talking to him about football as he had a sports tie on. His minder told him he had to wrap up our chat and move on as he'd spent to long on me! He said ill go when I'm ready lol :)

Hubby met Samantha Janis in an airport, he looked a few times, and then she said you recognise me don't you? And he said yes from eastenders lol and that was it! Despite her taking a pen out her bag and waiting for him to speak again! Fool forgot to ask for an autograph!

cazmanian_minx
23-Feb-13, 15:15
I've been on Trinny and Susannah and contrary to reports, they were both absolutely lovely. The rest come from working for HMV - Professor Stephen Hawking and Germaine Greer when I was in Cambridge, then I moved to the big store on Oxford Street in London, but I was in the Classical department so I'd quite often hear that a celeb had come in but not get to see them. Alan Rickman came and bought some Mahler though and Sally Phillips wanted ballet DVDs. We had to turn away an IBM engineer once because Madonna was using the office the broken machine was in as a changing room before a personal appearance! I wasn't working the Sunday they shut the whole store down for Michael Jackson though and I missed the filming for About A Boy as well, though both happened while I was there.

Oh, and I went to school with actress Rosamund Pike, who is lovely and a very good cellist.

Razz
23-Feb-13, 15:42
Met Rod Stewart at a Dressage Competition. He was looking at my friends lorry

MerlinScot
23-Feb-13, 17:20
I only met a few American singers and actors, some of them not so famous anymore and whose name I even forgot... :/
Saw Shakira and J. Lopez, who are so tiny in real life...

I think the most famous celeb I met was Matt Damon in F. Lauderdale in Florida, who's really a down-to-earth chap, lovely.

pig whisperer
23-Feb-13, 21:20
Kenneth Cope [Randell & Hopkirk] asked me directions, i went completely blank then gabbled & waved my hands in the general direction, he must have thought i was the village idiot i certainly felt like it.

Rheghead
23-Feb-13, 21:34
I've never met anyone famous, I think, and I want it to stay that way.

M Swanson
23-Feb-13, 23:41
Fair enough, Rheg. Then perhaps you may have met somebody who wasn't exactly famous, but left a lasting impression on you and many others? I'm thinking of an old Scot's gent, who ran a veterinary practice from his own, large house, in Willesden Green. His name was Mr MacClure and everyone in the area knew and loved him. He never, ever, turned away a sick animal, because its' owner couldn't afford treatment. As payment for his services, he would accept clients spending a little time cooking his meals, or cleaning the house, or tending the garden, or doing some washing, etc., and I never heard him complain.

He conducted the operations in his large parlour and during the summer months, on a fine day, you would see the animals spread out on his lawn, whilst recovering from the anaesthetic. None of them came to any harm and he saved many lives. He was old and when he died, hundreds of folks turned out to pay their respects to this kindly man, the likes of which few are made these days. He may not have been famous by today's definition, but he was to us and I bet there are many more like me, who will never forget him.

Maybe you have known someone very special like this?

golach
23-Feb-13, 23:47
I've never met anyone famous, I think, and I want it to stay that way.

Hummmmph you met me Rheg !!!!

Rheghead
23-Feb-13, 23:50
Oh, I've forgot, I peeed against the porcelain with Emlyn Hughes when he came into my local boozer for a pint, does that count?

Dadie
24-Feb-13, 00:00
Seen and spoken (in length not just 1-2 mins)to the Queen Mum (I was a child and she seemed just like a normal granny)
Prince Charles and Camilla....and others....
Danced and yapped with Cameron (from Big Brother) on a Boys brigade night out...and joked about putting a T shirt on ebay..he said it would be worth more without his signature on it (I agreed!) down to earth bloke..
Philip Schofield..not impressed ..wanted Gordon the gopher at the time ...
Gordon Ramsey bumped into him(literally )...didnt reconise him until afterwards..gave him the look as it was his fault...
And thats without leaving the county!

golach
24-Feb-13, 00:07
Oh, I've forgot, I peeed against the porcelain with Emlyn Hughes when he came into my local boozer for a pint, does that count?

I think you and I did the same in the Artisan Rheg [lol]

Tugmistress
24-Feb-13, 12:00
Johnny Ball, he was great and was not in a hurry to get away, Denise Nolan (of the Nolan sisters), David Bellamy and ended up on telly with him (many moons ago) stefan johanson (when he was a formual 3 driver before going to formual one) as well as a few others that my brain wont let me recall their names as am on too strong a painkillers so about to go to sleep now lol

Angel
25-Feb-13, 00:25
Met Marc Bolan in the Poste House, Stockport way gave him a hug and a kiss too... Used to go to School with Mick Hucknel of Simply Red. Been for a drink with Alex Harvey of SAHB... Met Mike Harding shopping in Manchester... Went clubbing with the guitarist out of the Buzzcocks... met Francis Rossi of Status Quo in a dress shop (he was buying for his girlfriend at the time), got his autograph too... Did a cleaning job for L S Lowry, was paid £12.00 by cheque, wish i'd kept it instead of cashing it...that's that springs to mind at the moment...

Angel...

Kenn
25-Feb-13, 02:05
Have met many a celebrity over the years but the 1 that will always stick with me was Laurence Olivier..he was an arrogant bas...d to say the the least!
Adam Faith was charm it's self. Dora Brian a darling.The Who amazing, The Stones a bunch of drug crazed loud mouthed bores. went to school with John Williams, danced with Earl Cameron..I won't go on as it will get boring he he.