PDA

View Full Version : Surfing Contest

North Rhins
05-Jan-07, 00:49
I’ve just read on BBCi that Thurso is to hold a surfing contest for the second year running. Apparently it’s to take place at Thurso East and Brim Ness in spring. Is that the two week period between the ice melting and it starting to freeze again? I don’t know who these lads and lasses are, but they deserve a medal just for turning up let alone getting in the water.:lol:

mums angels
05-Jan-07, 01:12
My brother in-law is currently the Scottish under 18's and 16's champion and I often ask him how on earth he can get in the water when its so cold - he just tells me that the water feels the same tempreture all year round so it doesn't bother him and he has got used to it , he does say getting changed after is awful though ...lol :D

Torvaig
05-Jan-07, 01:17
There have been people surfing at Thurso all winter no matter the weather. If the waves are there, the surfers are there at all times of the day!

Only a couple of days ago, I counted ten people surfing at one time. The younger ones surf just off the beach and I am amazed at the length of time they stay in the water.

They all look very healthy and invigorated!

Stumurf
05-Jan-07, 01:19
i have been stood on many a mountain top in some trecherous conditions but the thought of going into the sea at that time of year is enough to make something retreat for warmth...

I often notice the surfers in thurso bay and remark how insane they are to be there, but inside i know why they are there and why they do it...

Here's hoping a few locals take the honours in the competition, you all have my full support.

Good luck all...

the original ducky
05-Jan-07, 23:34
i would like to say that me and my partner both surf and the water is very cold but when you are in the water and you get the buzz of getting a wave then the old doesnt seem to be a problem however i would also say that its a nightmare getting changed in this weather but the waves are good. looking forward to the surfing com because its a great time to meet surfers from all over the world and also get some tips about the style that you surf and you board, suits ect. you can only learn from the best.

GOOD LUCK BOYS AND GIRLS MAKE YOU GET YOUR BEST WAVE.

Jo.b
06-Jan-07, 10:10
Lets hope the council provide toilets and hot showers for them this year.

Bill Fernie
06-Jan-07, 12:01
Justo let you all know that the O'Neill Highland Open surf competition 2007 will take place between 24th April and 1st May 2007.

You can get a good idea of the competition from the web site covering the 2006 competition at http://www.oneilleurope.com/highlandopen/

Check out the short videos on the web site that show what Thurso and Brims has to offer.