PDA

View Full Version : North sea oil.

piratelassie
19-Feb-13, 02:13
Good to read that the energy company TAQA have said "This latest discovery proves that the North Sea still has great potential". This is really good news .

equusdriving
19-Feb-13, 11:05
Good to read that the energy company TAQA have said "This latest discovery proves that the North Sea still has great potential". This is really good news .
Yes really great news for Great Britain:D

Shaggy
19-Feb-13, 11:25

tchtch surely you mean for Scotland! :roll:

peat stacker
19-Feb-13, 11:55

Great Britain or Scotland will see nothing as that dont own any blocks in the north see as thay have been sold off to other countries , that dont pay tax in the UK ,but there employees that live in Scotland will get wages so that is a positive , there is enough oil in the north see to last easy 70 years

equusdriving
19-Feb-13, 13:38
Great Britain or Scotland will see nothing as that dont own any blocks in the north see as thay have been sold off to other countries , that dont pay tax in the UK ,but there employees that live in Scotland will get wages so that is a positive , there is enough oil in the north see to last easy 70 years

The Darwin field is a joint venture between TAQA and Fairfield Energy, which I believe is a British Company, and therefore pays British tax and as you say employs British workers who live and spend their wages in Britain, so as I said "Great news for Britain" and Scotland:D

Shaggy
19-Feb-13, 13:55
Peat Stacker - North Sea sites Andrew, Harding & Miller oilfields and further south you have Magnus, Clair & Schiehallion.....all British owned

bcsman
19-Feb-13, 15:00
Great new for scotland and britain

tchtch surely you mean for Scotland! :roll:

billmoseley
19-Feb-13, 19:45
does it matter who owns what be it british or scottish. the oil is needed and so are the jobs. I dare say folk will make a few bob from it too

EOS
19-Feb-13, 20:18

Oh I bet that was difficult, reading between the lines you would have liked to add a bit more but with the recent replies to some of your posts you thought better of it.

"Great potential" after 2014???

piratelassie
20-Feb-13, 00:45
You read between the lines if you like.

Oh I bet that was difficult, reading between the lines you would have liked to add a bit more but with the recent replies to some of your posts you thought better of it.

"Great potential" after 2014???

piratelassie
20-Feb-13, 00:50
By the way EOS it IS still Scotlands oil, weather you like it or not.

macadamia
20-Feb-13, 01:23
The oil in UK waters is UK oil: otherwise the oil in Scottish waters is Scottish Oil, the oil in Orkney's waters is Orcadian oil, and that in Shetland, etc. Have we yet heard whether the Shetlands and Orkneys are subject to the referendum, part of the Union, a splinter group of the EU, or have been/will be annexed to Norway? It would only require "England" or "rUK" to make a propitious deal with Orkneys and Shetlands to keep them in the Union. Then how would the argument re "Scottish Oil" pan out?

Don't get me wrong. Scotland could make a good fist of Independence. But not partial or shadowy Independence. Only the full Monty. I watched plucky little Malta detach itself from all Colonial ties, only to become enmeshed with Red China and Libya, before settling for the chains of being a recipient state of the EU. And a recipient state of the EU is NOT independence, just a less visible form of dependence.

Sadly, the devil is in the detail. None of which we have seen from either side. But here is a prediction. Both sides' interpretations of the detail will cause a disproportionate and excessive amount of upset and financial loss, as Nation states employ battalions of lawyers to sniff the rear ends of their opponents' arguments. Add the European Courts, and a good deal of that lovely revenue will disappear.

I once came across an elderly East Berlin lady when I was a teenage student in West Berlin. I was curious to know what life was like "over there". (I wasn't allowed to cross the border, because my Dad was a junior spook).

"I will tell you, young man" she twinkled. "First, there was the Kaiser, and we had no oranges. Then came the Weimar Republic of the 1920s, we had hyperinflation, a stamp cost RM50,000,000 and you couldn't get any oranges. Then came Hitler, World War Two, the Nazis - and guess what - no oranges! After the War came the GDR, and Walter Ulbricht, and I have to report - STILL no oranges. That. my boy, is what it's like 'over there'!"

Be very, very careful.......

Moira
20-Feb-13, 01:30
By the way EOS it IS still Scotlands oil, weather you like it or not.

Does the weather have a bearing on it? Pun intended. :cool:

piratelassie
20-Feb-13, 02:39
With the news today that energy prices are about to soar because the UK will need to buy gas from abroad because not enough energy is being produced in the UK , surely with only a population of around 5.000.000, Scotland is self sufficient in energy production.

Phill
20-Feb-13, 08:51
Well, with the windymill plans and the expectation to export "green" energy coupled with shale oil and fracking it looks good at first glance.

Flynn
20-Feb-13, 08:52
With the news today that energy prices are about to soar because the UK will need to buy gas from abroad because not enough energy is being produced in the UK , surely with only a population of around 5.000.000, Scotland is self sufficient in energy production.

Actually the United Kingdom's population is closer to sixty-three million than five million.

equusdriving
20-Feb-13, 11:52
yes just a pity that we have to be subsidised on nearly everything else :lol:

piratelassie
20-Feb-13, 19:03
Oh please.

yes just a pity that we have to be subsidised on nearly everything else :lol:

Rheghead
20-Feb-13, 19:14
It doesn't matter if the oil is foreign owned or our own, it will still be taxed to bring wealth into the treasury.