starfish
18-Feb-13, 21:22
can any one tel me what site i can find out the history of a car thanks

Dog-eared
18-Feb-13, 21:33
People usually do an HPI check.

starfish
18-Feb-13, 22:22
i am trying to trace our old camper and wondered if there was a site which lets you know if it is still in use or scrapped

Shaggy
18-Feb-13, 22:31
Is it a VW Camper? if so why not have a look online for VW Camper organisations/clubs etc as someone there may know of the vehicle. You can also phone DVLA and pay i think £2.50- £3.00 for a status report of the vehicle (may be changed as its been a while since i did this)

starfish
18-Feb-13, 22:39
its a morris marina suntor it was our first camper and we had loads of fun in it we need some cash at the time and had to sell it . I know it is silly but we weeped as it drove away

colingel
18-Feb-13, 22:40
https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla Go to vehicle enquiry Type in reg and vehicle make

Shaggy
18-Feb-13, 22:59
eee a morris marina....don't reckon it will have survived tbh, most were rust buckets and a huge number were scrapped because the front mounting of the rear springs collapsed into the floor or the front chassis where the torsion bar mounted weakened through corrosion and splayed out knackering up the steering of the car. You never know though, some old biddy somewhere might have stashed it in a garage to depreciate err i mean appreciate in value over the years :roll:.
you could try ( www . fastmarinamagazine . com ) someone there may be able to help

starfish
18-Feb-13, 23:04
there was only a few of the vans custom converted into a camper they were neat little things with a pop up roof had every thing you needed in it for trips away we used to have a board that we put on the roof when the kids were young and they slept up there and we sleep on the bed

Shaggy
18-Feb-13, 23:12
Yeah i remember seeing one converted to a van by the local garage owner who took the top off and fitted a fibreglass roof. Was a weird looking effort lol. I had a few marinas myself, couple of 1300's, 3x 1800 TC's and a 2 litre coupe which had a max rebored 1800 'O' series engine & gearbox out of an MGB. Engine lasted longer than the car though and it went back into an MGB later on. Im sitting here revelling in my youthful days lol, many a night's winching i did in the old T-rusty marinas :-)

George Brims
19-Feb-13, 20:52
I picked up a book called "World's 50 worst cars" one day in a bookshop. I went straight to the index and sure enough there was the Marina. Last car I owned in the UK before fleeing Thatcherism was Marina. It was a "deluxe" model produced when they changed from the MkI to the MkII. Vinyl roof, very nice upholstery, quite a comfy car to drive (as long as you didn't try to corner too hard). 55,000 miles on it when I got it. I changed the oil. Stuff that came out looked blacker than anthracite. Engine let go at 58,000. Clearly it was the gummy deposits that were sealing the pistons to the cylinder wall. When we took of the head you could *see* the cylinders weren't round! Got it re-bored, which made it a 1950cc instead of 1800. Other than rebuilding the engine I had several changes of gearbox. Kept losing reverse gear, once while parked facing downhill close to the guy in front! There were a whole chapter of other problems. And the daftest thing was it rusted through from inside the boot. Along the bottom of the rear window was a channel for condensation which fed out through wee plastic tubes at each end, into the lip around the boot lid. The one on the right was broken, probably by something I shoved in there (loved the size of the boot in that car I have to say!) so the condensation (and rain) collected in the well under the spare wheel. Unusually for a British car of that era (especially the Marina) the car was totally and heavily undersealed, so that was the only place that rusted through.