PDA

View Full Version : coxsackie virus.

cuddlepop
04-Jan-07, 17:38
I know medical querys get right up some peoples noses but I need some support here .
I've felt like crap since i took a cold in October and have still to find my normal energy levels.Work's too tiring so I've been off for a few weeks.
Done some research on the web and its quiet frightening what coxsackie typeB can do to your body.It also appears to be more previliant than I realised.
I've actually found a German web sight for suffers but the translated script just reads like nonsense.
Anyone else out there got it or has any suggestions how to live with it as there is no cure; your body eventually produces antibodies and you can be left with ME like symptoms which is frightening. :~(

caroline
04-Jan-07, 18:26
Yes, I think this is what i might have since Boxing Day do not feel any better despite medication. Feeling very weak no energy sweating from time to time and cannot face food plus the fact I have asthma going back to doctors tomorrow.

MISS K
04-Jan-07, 18:30
Sorry i dont have any advice for ya, but my dad ended up in hospital with that, a year ago. He has a muscle wasting disease, which makes his immune system really low, so he has to try and avoid viruses, but unfortunately he got the coxsackie virus, it really does leave you weakend after it, hope you feel well soon x

BINDI 42
04-Jan-07, 18:47
Dear Cuddlepop
I felt i had to do a reply in response to your post,after myself being told for over four years of feeling uttery ill and sevelly lethargic etc all i seemingly had was anxiety ,after having loads of antidpresssants all to no avail i then on a routine visit to my gp's i told a nurse my symptoms ,she went on to tell me i sounded just like her friend who had ME to say i was gobsmacked is a bit of an understatment !!!
To cut a long story short after many more months of asking to be tested for coxsackie virus this was eventually done in august 2003,on recieving my results from the microbiology department at raigmore hospital it showed i not only had one but two very raised levels of coxsakie B1 and coxsackie B5 plus a response to coxsackie B4
Nearlly four years on i am virtually bed ridden with severe fatigue ,heart racing etc but believe it or not i was put on valliums as i am still being told my symptoms are severe anxiety and panic ,im at a loss as to what my real problem is :(

Alice in Blunderland
04-Jan-07, 18:51
Hi Cuddlepop, please avoid internet that would be my first suggestion as often the information on the internet is misleading and can be inacurate.I know this doesnt help but a lot of the information will not be scientifically proven. :)

Any virus can cause post viral myalgia ( muscle aches and pains ) this can last for months and months. Has your Gp done any more tests regarding this to determine ? To diagnose coxsachie or any other viral ilness you need to have a series of blood tests to see the rising titres of antibodies (to the specific viruses). There are different types of antibodies, IgM for recent infection and IgG type for previous infections (months/years old).

My advice is to hydrate yourself with fresh water,(alcohol is a no no sorry ) ,good balanced diet (with fresh fruit & veg), good sleep ( kick out Mr CP ) and moderate exercise ( welcome back Mr CP). ;)

cuddlepop
04-Jan-07, 19:19
Thanks everyone.
Alice blood tests have come back positive for CoxsackieB1.Been told there's no cure or vacinee or medication.They've offered me anti depressants which I've declined but have to go back and see Gp next week.They dont no why it improves symptoms but it does.
On the net there's an American website that states they can remove the virus from your system.Haven't looked onto that but I think it's more to do with a positive attitude which I'm trying to find.:(
Bindi42,you have my sympathy.Its horrible when you feel no one can find a deffinate diagnoses.
The net is frightening and can make you iller than you actually are so I am being careful.My son has also picked up this strain last year and has left him with heart palpitations which he takes medication for.Drinking and smoking os a no no and for a 19year old almost impossible
Me well we'll have to move to Caithness sooner rather than later as I feel so much better up there.
See you soon :lol: .

Alice in Blunderland
04-Jan-07, 20:16
Cuddlepop,The anti depressants are helpful because virsuses cause depression. Post viral illness depression is a well recgonised feature. I would suggest to take GP's advice and go on the anti depressants. It will combat post viral depression and you will feel better. It takes six weeks for anti depressants to take effect. You need to take it regularly till you see the effects and honestly taking them doesnt mean you are mad loads of people take them for various reasons. :D

The advice on this American web site is not correct it cannot be removed from your body ,its not as easy as they make it sound. If someone interferes with your natural immune system it puts your health at risk big time......and that is the last thing you will want.I know you are probably at desperation point but try and hang in there. I can highly recommend a daily dose of Caithness its great for your health.;)

Spiff
04-Jan-07, 23:15
Hi,
This is worth a try, I know it certainly worked for me.
I had the vrus in November, with the flu like symptoms at first and then I was vomitting for almost a full day.
By mid December I was still feeling very unwell and struggling to cope with day to day routine. I felt sick, had no appetite and had the sweats and was feeling very tired and weak. The virus seemed to be thriving in my intestine.
I had read about a special honey from New Zealand that was reknowned for it's amazing healing properties, this was many months back and I remembered it was good for restoring the natural bacteria in the gut and killing any nasties lurking about in there, but I couldn't remember the name of it, all I could remember was it began with M.
I was shopping in Tesco the following night and I thought I would try any honey to see if it would work, and would you believe it, there on the shelf was Manuka Honey from New Zealand.
It was nearly five pounds for a jar but I was at the stage I would try anything.
I began by taking a teaspoonful before breakfast, lunch and dinner and one just before bedtime.
In the first week I felt slightly better but thought this might be all in my mind!
I have about a quarter of the jar left now and in the past week I have got my get up and go back, sick feeling has gone and no more sweats. So I am down to a spoon in the morning and evening now. It took about 14 days for the honey to clear the virus from my system but I am feeling so much better now it feels like a miracle.
It is worth a try, let me know how you get on.
Regards Spiff

cuddlepop
04-Jan-07, 23:20
Thanks Spiff.
Within reason I'll give anything a try.I think my bugs are living in my sinuses.Have been adviced to salt wash my nasal passages and if its translated properly I think they recommend dead sea salt.Will dig out a German speaking friend.:eek:

cuddlepop
04-Jan-07, 23:31
Roy thank you for that I know diet will help so have for a while have tried to eat healthy.
One site that was interesting was www.itmonline.org/arts/coxsackie.htm (http://www.itmonline.org/arts/coxsackie.htm) Its full off info on Chinese Herbal Therapies and other measures.
Viral Myocarditis is my biggest fear and has you cant cure yourself of this ;devils grip;helping yourself live with it seems the next best option.:)

mareng
04-Jan-07, 23:46
Thanks everyone.
Alice blood tests have come back positive for CoxsackieB1.Been told there's no cure or vacinee or medication.They've offered me anti depressants which I've declined but have to go back and see Gp next week.They dont no why it improves symptoms but it does.
On the net there's an American website that states they can remove the virus from your system.Haven't looked onto that but I think it's more to do with a positive attitude which I'm trying to find.:(
Bindi42,you have my sympathy.Its horrible when you feel no one can find a deffinate diagnoses.
The net is frightening and can make you iller than you actually are so I am being careful.My son has also picked up this strain last year and has left him with heart palpitations which he takes medication for.Drinking and smoking os a no no and for a 19year old almost impossible
Me well we'll have to move to Caithness sooner rather than later as I feel so much better up there.
See you soon :lol: .

Dificult to know how to start, as I am sometimes critical of medical query-posts as you state...........

but, I not only feel for your present condition, but admire the way you have sought help and assurance. Hopefully there are some answers in the considerable replies.

This may seem condescending, but is not meant to be....... sometimes I can be clumsy in wording.

There is a lot of information in the thread, not only for you - but for us all, in bringing to our attention, the nature and possible treatment for a previously missunderstood condition.

Good luck, and I think you are right to shun anti-depressants - even though it is a dificult decision.

cuddlepop
04-Jan-07, 23:54
Thank you Mareng.
I tend to find something in everyones contributions to the threads.They ether make me mad,stop and think or laugh.
To me thats the whole point of community web sites.... something for everyone:D

Stumurf
05-Jan-07, 00:41
may i ask for a little more info please,

Do you have any idea how this virus is caught, and are the initial symptoms cold and flu like?
Its just i had a dose of what i thought was a really bad cold for a week not too long ago and i haven't been ill for years, at least 7. It knocked me for 6 while i had it but now it seems to have passed and i am back to normal, but my mum seems to have caught it and she cannot seem to shift it. She leads a very healthy lifestyle (almost like roy's advice) and like me, she doesnt get ill very easily, if ever, and if and when she does it doesnt last long.
But this has been constant from before boxing day, she was even forced to go out and buy the usual cold and flu treatments but nothing is helping.

I am sorry to hear about how it has affected others, you have my sympathies, i am just hoping to get a better understanding of it before i inform mum of the possibility.

and for the record, Manuka honey is truly amazing....

George Brims
05-Jan-07, 00:50
Roy, your post is full of such a blend of good sense and nonsense that I hardly know where to start.

I'll just comment on a few things.

Why would you want to get rid of *all* things with E numbers? A substance is assigned an E number when it is known to be safe - often because it is something the human race has consumed with no perceivable harm for generations. For example, cochineal (E120), calcium carbonate - chalk - E170, ascorbic acid - Vitamin C - E300. Now I picked those because I know what they are, but the point is the E number list is nothing sinister, just an attempt by the EU to list what you should NOT be worried about in your food. There are plenty of things you should worry about. You pointed out trans fats: those you should definitely avoid like the plague for the sake of your heart.

"Natural flavourings" - why on earth would you avoid those? They are things like pepper and parsley and paprika and lemon oil. It's the artificial ones you ought to be concerned about.

Finally your "herbal antivirals" - do those even exist? I know one of the things you mention, echinacea, has been clinically tested and shown to be utterly ineffective*. Do you really think if there truly were herbal remedies for all kinds of diseases that they would not be available along with real drugs at the chemist's shop? If there is money to be made from something that actually works, you can be sure the pharmaceutical industry would be in there making it.

* http://infectious-diseases.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2005/819/1

porshiepoo
05-Jan-07, 01:09
I know medical querys get right up some peoples noses but I need some support here .
I've felt like crap since i took a cold in October and have still to find my normal energy levels.Work's too tiring so I've been off for a few weeks.
Done some research on the web and its quiet frightening what coxsackie typeB can do to your body.It also appears to be more previliant than I realised.
I've actually found a German web sight for suffers but the translated script just reads like nonsense.
Anyone else out there got it or has any suggestions how to live with it as there is no cure; your body eventually produces antibodies and you can be left with ME like symptoms which is frightening. :~(

Have no idea as to any of the symptoms of this virus - I've never even heard of it till now but if you have any symptoms even remotely like ME then my sympathies go out to you.
A few years ago I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy, Fibromyalgia and IBS and combined the symptoms are very similar. In fact one doc told me there is a very fine line between Fibro and ME.

Seriously, I wish you all the best and hope you find a way of dealing with the symptoms as best you can - I know how debilitating this can be.

Alice in Blunderland
05-Jan-07, 09:40
Thanks Spiff.
Within reason I'll give anything a try.I think my bugs are living in my sinuses.Have been adviced to salt wash my nasal passages and if its translated properly I think they recommend dead sea salt.Will dig out a German speaking friend.:eek:

Ahh both Weeboyagee and I speak German forgot to mention that to you. Helped us out when we were little mum never knew what we were up to.:cool: Not sure if we can translate for you or not but thought I would mention it.

cuddlepop
05-Jan-07, 13:16
Thanks Alice will find the web site and forward it on to you.
Its like a discussion forum for people suffering from sinusitis because of the coxsackie virus.I think;)
It starts as a cold that wont go away.You have night sweats but with no temperature,poor appetite,dizzy,forgetfull,really tired.Even after having a shower all you want to do is rest.Your not sleepy just tired.
Cant concetrate or follow a conversation.Been on antibiotic's for weeks,feel better on them but still coughing up phelm.
Its been called the devils grip and I know why.:~(

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-07, 09:08
I've got to butt in here. sorry. Cuddlepop, I'm sorry to hear that you are ill but, you made a VERY intelligent decision to turn down antidepressants. They do more harm than good no matter what people including doctors and pseudoscientists in the biopsychiatry field might try to tell you.

A thought provoking statement......I am not saying that anti depressants are the answer to Cuddlepops problem but I can see why her Gp has recommended them, she herself seemes to have had enough of this illness and it is, by the looks of her postings driving her 'nuts' for the want of a better word. In this society however I do feel there is a place for this medication and I dont believe that for one momment they do more harm than good .:)

I had a very loving and caring uncle who for many years battled with psychiatric and mental health problems his medication and anti depressants were his saving grace. Whilst taking his medication he was able to conduct as near to normal a life within this society as he could. I had the uttermost respect for him as all his life people viewed him as wierd and this did not help him.

In another case which I can highlight a friend of mine terminally ill with cancer is currently taking a low dose of anti depressants to help her cope ,she knows she is going to die.....how is she coping ? again one small tablet to help keep her calm and to keep things in perspective is helping her .... alternative methods proved fruitless I am not saying that alternative methods dont work as with anti depressants they are not for everyone.

I could highlight many heart tugging cases where the situation people suddenly find themselves in ,social or medical or, from over a longer period of time they eventually find they cannot cope , medication has helped. Yes, as with all drugs there are pro's and con's right down to taking your basic painkiller but its up to the patient together with their Gp who will have had many years of training and evidence based proof of a drugs worthiness to come up with a plan to tackle whatever may be going on. All drugs that are prescribed go through many years of tests and trials before being approved so I cannot see where anti depressants doing more harm than good can receive a license.

Cuddlepop its up to you to take or not take these drugs its whats best for you and you alone know, but whatever course you choose stick with it and hopefully you will start to feel a whole lot better.:D For anyone out there taking anti depressants if they work for you then keep on popping you and your Gp will know when its time to come off them.

cuddlepop
06-Jan-07, 09:15
Alice is right sometimes anti deprressants are the only answere and are used for many things other than depression.My own Gp has told me there even prescribed for children who wet the bed.:eek:
Jury's out as far as I'm concerned but I do know they work.:)

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-07, 15:27
Alice is right sometimes anti deprressants are the only answere and are used for many things other than depression.My own Gp has told me there even prescribed for children who wet the bed.:eek:
Jury's out as far as I'm concerned but I do know they work.:)

As I said Cuddlepop if the anti depressants are for you go for it if not your Gp should support you in trying to overcome this illness in whatever way possible. Yes they are used for many other things as well as depression which unfortunatley affects lots of many people.

Wish
06-Jan-07, 18:26
Jackie, so sorry to hear your still suffering with this, what a nightmare! Hope you get sorted out soon XxX