PDA

View Full Version : Could Vaping Be the Way To Go?

M Swanson
17-Feb-13, 14:36
Two weeks ago, my DIL, bought her first e-cigarettes and so far, it's all been very encouraging. She used to smoke 20 to 25 fags a day, but is now down to 8. I know it would be much better to stop completely, but gradually doing it is working. The brand she's bought is called "Socialites," which contain zero tobacco, tar and smoke. It does have nicotine, equivalent to 'light,' ciggies, but when she purchases her next cartridge, she's going for nicotine-free. I know it's early days, but she is much further now than she's managed before, in 15 years of having the habit. Has anyone else tried this method to quit? I can't believe the government haven't put tax on the product. Bet they will, however.

Shabbychic
17-Feb-13, 16:19
I've been vaping now for over 6 months and haven't touched a cigarette. I have saved a fortune and don't miss cigarettes at all, after having smoked for well over 20 years. I believe the EU are trying to ban or reduce the nicotine contents of e-cigs..........mainly because the pharmaceutical companies want all the nicotine products for their own profits, just as they do at present.

M Swanson
17-Feb-13, 17:20
Thanks for the response, Shabbychic, (I love your user ID :o) It's many a long year since I smoked and I was shocked that my DIL paid almost £7 for a pack of 20. That is so dear and you must have saved a bomb. May I ask if you use the nicotine free cartridges, please? We were together when she purchased her starter pack and she chose the equivalent to 'lights.' We were told that it's not actually the nicotine that causes the major health problem, but other chemicals. Do you know if this is correct? I really don't think e-cigs would work for her if she had to go cold turkey, so my advice is to pace herself and experiment until she finds the ones ideally suited for her, but I don't know if that's the way to go. Any tips, please?

cptdodger
17-Feb-13, 17:44
Have a look at this from the BBC News website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21406540

And this (from of all places, The Japan Times !) - http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/02/18/world/jury-still-out-on-whether-e-cigarettes-are-safe/#.USEIQWeNTKA

It might be worth reading if you or your daughter in law have any concerns regarding e cigarettes.

M Swanson
17-Feb-13, 17:53
Thanks for the links Cpt. Certainly, from the BBC report, I would think that the benefits far outweigh any potential harm, that is known at this time. I think that anything that can help people to quit smoking must be a good thing. My DIL has tried everything else and it hasn't worked. I do think that perhaps, those using e-cigs would be well advised to seek permission to use them in public areas, until more research is done ..... I know I wouldn't mind, though. I know firsthand, how difficult it is to break the smoking habit and applaud anyone who tries their hardest to quit. I can see too, that tobacco revenue is huge and there'll be some opposition by governments who won't want to lose it. The latest figures I saw, was it costs the NHS £2 billion a year in health costs, but generates £20 billion in taxes. Hmmmm! There may be trouble ahead.