PDA

View Full Version : Tax or ban.

piratelassie
17-Feb-13, 00:24
It wont be too long before the dreaded artical called the caravan is back on the road causing all sorts of problems, is it time to have them taxed or banned?

Flynn
17-Feb-13, 00:26
Taxed for what?

sids
17-Feb-13, 00:33
It wont be too long before the dreaded artical called the caravan is back on the road causing all sorts of problems, is it time to have them taxed or banned?

Not really. Who gives a toss?

Phill
17-Feb-13, 00:35
A program of extreme aggression, air to ground warfare, stingers and roadblocks.

But that's just me.

sids
17-Feb-13, 00:37
A program of extreme aggression, air to ground warfare, stingers and roadblocks.

But that's just me.

Not just you. When do we attack?

secrets in symmetry
17-Feb-13, 00:39
A program of extreme aggression, air to ground warfare, stingers and roadblocks.But only for the English ones - surely....

cptdodger
17-Feb-13, 00:47

You really just do not want tourists, or their money here full stop, and no doubt in your case especially if they are English.

secrets in symmetry
17-Feb-13, 01:11
You really just do not want tourists, or their money here full stop, and no doubt in your case especially if they are English.Aren't they all English?

Phill
17-Feb-13, 01:21
Not just you. When do we attack?Man the barricades!

But only for the English ones - surely....That's just racists surely?

You really just do not want tourists, or their money here full stop, and no doubt in your case especially if they are English.At least you know which direction they're coming from!

Rheghead
17-Feb-13, 01:22

Go back folks, Scotland is closed until further notice election.

Phill
17-Feb-13, 01:26
Go back folks, Scotland is closed until further notice election.That's out of order! Closed only to caravanananerserer, specifically of the Engerlish persuasion.

Dadie
17-Feb-13, 01:36
No just close it to the ones that creep on the roads that dont know what passing places are for!
And definately give those in campervans who think its ok to stop in the dip of a hill to take photos of sheep etc (where there is a passing place 50-100yrds away) a red card!
Most are conciderate to a degree or so....as long as they pull in when they get a tailback...they are not much worse than a lorry unless in convoy...then arrrghhhh!

secrets in symmetry
17-Feb-13, 01:43
Some of them bring their own sheep. English sheep!

Dadie
17-Feb-13, 01:45
red card em...now!

secrets in symmetry
17-Feb-13, 01:48
red card em...now!Have you ever tried to red card a sheep? They don't go off without a fight.

Dadie
17-Feb-13, 01:51
not the sheep....the caravaners ...for stopping!
or telaport them to somewhere else...just get em to move on etc...
Sheep can be moved by moving slowly or by getting out the vehicle and waving or swearing at them.........

piratelassie
17-Feb-13, 02:00
A lot of expected tripe written by the usual ~~~~, but seriously its the inconsideration of some caravaners that give them all a bad name,which causes the tailback.

secrets in symmetry
17-Feb-13, 02:13
not the sheep....the caravaners ...for stopping!
or telaport them to somewhere else...just get em to move on etc...
Sheep can be moved by moving slowly or by getting out the vehicle and waving or swearing at them.........Have you ever tried moving English sheep? They don't react well to being sworn at by Scots - or by Scots sheep. It must be their Tory upbringing.

joxville
17-Feb-13, 06:06
Why has it become a national obsession to hate caravanners? What harm are they doing to you? Okay, so your held up a bit, but they are no worse than arctics, which I find rarely pull in to passing places, or to laybys on the the trunk roads, unlike caravanners who do. And a car and caravan is easier to pass than an artic since its a shorter unit. I think it seems to be a media-driven obsession, on a par with hating 'white van man'. Someone, somewhere, got it into their vacuous head to direct some bile at a particular group, and like sheep, others just followed. It's utter crap. I've never towed a caravan but I've nothing against those who do; and it's my belief that those that show poor consideration for other motorists will likely be just as bad without towing a 'van. So next time you're held up by one think of the positives, your saving money by driving slower, and you can enjoy the scenery of our beautiful country. :-)

sids
17-Feb-13, 09:56
The only good caravanners are local caravanners, because they do most of their caravanning somewhere else.

Phill
17-Feb-13, 10:38
A lot of expected tripe written by the usual ~~~~, but seriously its the inconsideration of some caravaners that give them all a bad name,which causes the tailback.What do you expect posting a question like that on a Saturday night when we've all been leathering the old pulteney!

billmoseley
17-Feb-13, 10:57

But that's just me. Can i join your Gang please it sounds my idea of heaven lolol

Gronnuck
17-Feb-13, 10:59

A caravan properly matched to its towing vehicle and driven properly is no more of a hindrance than a 7.5 tonne lorry. I don't see many complaints about 7.5 tonne lorries and there are a lot of them on the roads. How many 7.5 tonne lorries pull into a lay-by to let following vehicles pass?
Granted there are some inconsiderate caravanners but there are just as many other inconsiderate drivers on the move. Have a read of some of the many caravan and camping forums, there are few who would venture this far north without having some expertise in handling their vehicle and caravan.
If we in the far north are to encourage tourism we have to accept visitors whatever way they want to travel.

piratelassie
17-Feb-13, 11:13
I know lorries are an inconvenience but they are essential to our way of life, caravans are not. Therefore surely lorries should have more respect.

A caravan properly matched to its towing vehicle and driven properly is no more of a hindrance than a 7.5 tonne lorry. I don't see many complaints about 7.5 tonne lorries and there are a lot of them on the roads. How many 7.5 tonne lorries pull into a lay-by to let following vehicles pass?
Granted there are some inconsiderate caravanners but there are just as many other inconsiderate drivers on the move. Have a read of some of the many caravan and camping forums, there are few who would venture this far north without having some expertise in handling their vehicle and caravan.
If we in the far north are to encourage tourism we have to accept visitors whatever way they want to travel.

golach
17-Feb-13, 11:19
I know lorries are an inconvenience but they are essential to our way of life, caravans are not. Therefore surely lorries should have more respect.
Is tourism not essential to Caithness and the Highlands?

focusRS
17-Feb-13, 11:30
What's the problem? Wait patiently and overtake when safe, if you cannot do this then you shouldn't be on the road. No law is being broken by having a valid licence and towing a caravan. Wait 20 years and I doubt there will be half the number of them on the roads due to the fact you need to sit a separate test to tow anything over 750kgs. I don't understand the want to tow a much smaller version of your home to other parts of the UK on holiday but hey if it floats their boat I say let them crack on.

Phill
17-Feb-13, 11:48
The difference is one of driving standards, basically consideration of other road users.
Getting past a car & caravan on it's own isn't a particular problem, it's when it is before or behind a HGV that it creates difficulty often because they do not leave enough space between them & the HGV to allow people to overtake each in turn. Or if they are holding up a HGV they end up with the HGV breathing down their neck and the same issue rises.
On the A9 what I find frustrating is having sat behind a Caravan & HGV and the road opens up to two lanes the caravan then pulls out and makes the slowest overtake possible thus holding back a load of other vehicles, rather than let the cars pass & then pull out to overtake (consideration).

The other problem is caravans in convoy, this may be deliberate or has come about because other cars have overtaken and two caravans have 'found' themselves behind one another. What I've seen often is they do not allow adequate space between so becomes difficult to overtake the two together.

And then there are those that do dawdle along taking in the scenery, which is fine if they used passing places and had consideration for those stuck behind them.

Gronnuck
17-Feb-13, 12:23
The difference is one of driving standards, basically consideration of other road users.
Getting past a car & caravan on it's own isn't a particular problem, it's when it is before or behind a HGV that it creates difficulty often because they do not leave enough space between them & the HGV to allow people to overtake each in turn. Or if they are holding up a HGV they end up with the HGV breathing down their neck and the same issue rises.
On the A9 what I find frustrating is having sat behind a Caravan & HGV and the road opens up to two lanes the caravan then pulls out and makes the slowest overtake possible thus holding back a load of other vehicles, rather than let the cars pass & then pull out to overtake (consideration).

You'll get the same thing if you come across two HGVs or two 7.5 tonne vans who have bunched up. To single out caravanners is nonsensical. Many caravanners will slow down to create a gap. After all they have a vested interest in looking after their caravan, unlike some other drivers who are driving a truck or a van that doesn't belong to them.

The other problem is caravans in convoy, this may be deliberate or has come about because other cars have overtaken and two caravans have 'found' themselves behind one another. What I've seen often is they do not allow adequate space between so becomes difficult to overtake the two together.

There may be occasions when a couple of caravanners deliberately travel together but no more so than any other vehicles. The Dutch Caravan Club regularly tour Scotland and each caravan is numbered and they set off at 20 minute intervals and try to stay apart.

And then there are those that do dawdle along taking in the scenery, which is fine if they used passing places and had consideration for those stuck behind them.

Of course there will be but again no more than many other tourists. If you don't want to host visitors hereabouts and want to live in isolation perhaps North Rona is the place to be.

MerlinScot
17-Feb-13, 12:26
A lot of expected tripe written by the usual ~~~~, but seriously its the inconsideration of some caravaners that give them all a bad name,which causes the tailback.I don't have any problems with caravanners... I have a problem with any slow vehicle travelling on the A9 though LOL
So could we close Caithness to all caravanners, motor-homes, lorries, etc etc.

Oops, the economy will slow down too though... :/

On these threads you find the usual tripe because it is the OP that started a pointless argument in the first place.
I know a few people willing to travel up until Caithness... What should I tell them piratelassie? No use of caravans, no dogs if you're not a responsible dog owner etc etc?

Do you know what the reply would be? WTH, I'll choose another place then. So bye bye tourism....

Flynn
17-Feb-13, 12:44
I think tractors and other slow farm vehicles should be barred from the roads at certain hours of the day.

jacko
17-Feb-13, 12:55
Artics pay a shedload of cash in roadtax, and their driver have to pass a strenious driving test. where caravanners pay just the car that s towing them.
ive actually had to reverse a few caravanners as they had no idea how to do that themselves ; yes i think if one wants to tow a van they aught to pay extra road tax and it s about time some extra test or training should be compulsury to them. thats just my opinion.

Flynn
17-Feb-13, 13:15
Artics pay a shedload of cash in roadtax, and their driver have to pass a strenious driving test. where caravanners pay just the car that s towing them.
ive actually had to reverse a few caravanners as they had no idea how to do that themselves ; yes i think if one wants to tow a van they aught to pay extra road tax and it s about time some extra test or training should be compulsury to them. thats just my opinion.

I would agree with you, except there is no such thing as road tax.

Gronnuck
17-Feb-13, 13:16

Caravanners pay too. They will have paid VAT on their touring caravan and they will pay increased fuel duty and VAT because towing increases fuel consumption. There are rules governing a caravanner's licence requirements, particularly those who qualified after 1st January 1997.
jacko I'm sure the caravanners you have helped reverse their rigs are grateful. As I have tried to point out most caravanners will try to be responsible and considerate road users. Both The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravan Club run courses for caravanners across the country. After making a considerable investment in buying a modern touring caravan the owner is going to want to get the best use out of it, look after it and that includes not coming not conflict with other road users.

focusRS
17-Feb-13, 13:21
Artics pay a shedload of cash in roadtax, and their driver have to pass a strenious driving test. where caravanners pay just the car that s towing them. ive actually had to reverse a few caravanners as they had no idea how to do that themselves ; yes i think if one wants to tow a van they aught to pay extra road tax and it s about time some extra test or training should be compulsury to them. thats just my opinion.I wouldn't feel too sorry for those that have to pay the HGV running costs as they are in the business to make money, caravan owners are not.

Phill
17-Feb-13, 14:40
You'll get the same thing if you come across two HGVs or two 7.5 tonne vans who have bunched up. To single out caravanners is nonsensical. Many caravanners will slow down to create a gap.Generally I find the larger HGV's leave more space and will allow overtaking and will wait until faster vehicles have passed. I have many times passed two or three HGV's in line with relative ease, but with a caravan more often than not they don't leave enough space to allow people to overtake safely nor have the intention to overtake the HGV themselves.

There is a good argument in my mind to retrospectively apply the trailer towing test (+E section). As mentioned there is no requirement at all via 'grandfather' rights for a great many drivers to prove their ability to tow. I feel many towing caravans and some trailers simply forget they are doing so.

jacko
17-Feb-13, 14:53
Caravanners pay too. They will have paid VAT on their touring caravan and they will pay increased fuel duty and VAT because towing increases fuel consumption. There are rules governing a caravanner's licence requirements, particularly those who qualified after 1st January 1997.
jacko I'm sure the caravanners you have helped reverse their rigs are grateful. As I have tried to point out most caravanners will try to be responsible and considerate road users. Both The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravan Club run courses for caravanners across the country. After making a considerable investment in buying a modern touring caravan the owner is going to want to get the best use out of it, look after it and that includes not coming not conflict with other road users

haulage contractors also pay will have paid vat.. { a big amount of vat as wel l} , increased fuel charges. ..{these rigs run about 6 miles to the gallon}..
obviously not all caravanner s bother with the courses or perhap s dont know about them . as is ,anyone with a valid ordinary license can just hitch up a van and away they go. ive been stuck between a bunch of caravan s while they were tail gating each other and rubber knecking all the view s between golspie and dunbeath . impossible to get by them . any way im to laid back to be really annoyed :lol:

parkie
17-Feb-13, 16:48
i,m scottish and proud of it my grand-children are english and i,m proud of them, so secrets in symmetry please be careful with your big mouth

ducati
17-Feb-13, 18:44
i,m scottish and proud of it my grand-children are english and i,m proud of them, so secrets in symmetry please be careful with your big mouth

And fat head. ohh did I post that or just think it? :eek:

Flynn
17-Feb-13, 19:08

I think Secrets in Symmetry was mocking the anti-everything-English views of Piratelassie.

bcsman
17-Feb-13, 19:09
Aye,most of the tripe is written by you

A lot of expected tripe written by the usual ~~~~, but seriously its the inconsideration of some caravaners that give them all a bad name,which causes the tailback.

catran
17-Feb-13, 19:20
so comical, whatever next what is wrong with caravans on the road, just like a trailer or whatever and they are not taxed....
Caithness certainly needing the tourist trade regardless.

stroller
17-Feb-13, 19:31
Well said Jox.

jacko
17-Feb-13, 19:31
who are you to determine the size of any one s mouth . you dont know me . so how can you tell .
im not interested in your lineage, im just saying that SOME caravaners are pretty selfish on the road . would you like to be laying in the back of an ambulance that s stuck between 5 or 6 close coupled caravans .. i think not........... let s try and keep this thread sensible without slagging anyone off.
............and i am perfectly entitled to my views that caravanners should be made to take compulsive caravan training .

M Swanson
17-Feb-13, 19:42
Ooh! No! Jacko. Parkie wasn't responding to anything you wrote. They were referring to another poster, Secrets in Symmetry. :eek:

Flynn
17-Feb-13, 19:48
who are you to determine the size of any one s mouth . you dont know me . so how can you tell .
im not interested in your lineage, im just saying that SOME caravaners are pretty selfish on the road . would you like to be laying in the back of an ambulance that s stuck between 5 or 6 close coupled caravans .. i think not........... let s try and keep this thread sensible without slagging anyone off.
............and i am perfectly entitled to my views that caravanners should be made to take compulsive caravan training .

Surely an ambulance would put it's lights and sirens on?

jacko
17-Feb-13, 19:50
Ooh! No! Jacko. Parkie wasn't responding to anything you wrote. They were referring to another poster, Secrets in Symmetry. :eek:

my apoligies . my excuse is that im new here, :eek:

M Swanson
17-Feb-13, 19:51
No need to apologise, Jacko. It takes a while to find your way around the Org. Well, it did me. Still does. :)

jacko
17-Feb-13, 19:52
Surely an ambulance would put it's lights and sirens on?

rubber necking caravanners 5 or 6 ahead of an ambulance........ perhaps,, who knows specially if their foreign ??

jacko
17-Feb-13, 19:54
No need to apologise, Jacko. It takes a while to find your way around the Org. Well, it did me. Still does. :)

thank you,, m swanson . im getting there. slowly . :)

parkie
17-Feb-13, 21:37
no prob,s jacko

jacko
17-Feb-13, 21:51
no prob,s jacko
cheer s :)

MerlinScot
17-Feb-13, 22:48
rubber necking caravanners 5 or 6 ahead of an ambulance........ perhaps,, who knows specially if their foreign ??You mean... They don't have ambulances abroad???

jacko
18-Feb-13, 10:52
you know what i meant now your just being silly.

piratelassie
18-Feb-13, 12:43
Why do you think I refer to only Caithness, it,s caravaning in general I,m refering to. Also if the tourists did,nt have a caravan they would be staying in a B and B.

I don't have any problems with caravanners... I have a problem with any slow vehicle travelling on the A9 though LOL
So could we close Caithness to all caravanners, motor-homes, lorries, etc etc.

Oops, the economy will slow down too though... :/

On these threads you find the usual tripe because it is the OP that started a pointless argument in the first place.
I know a few people willing to travel up until Caithness... What should I tell them piratelassie? No use of caravans, no dogs if you're not a responsible dog owner etc etc?

Do you know what the reply would be? WTH, I'll choose another place then. So bye bye tourism....

Flynn
18-Feb-13, 13:05
Why do you think I refer to only Caithness, it,s caravaning in general I,m refering to. Also if the tourists did,nt have a caravan they would be staying in a B and B.

There is a finite number of B+Bs in the county. Caravanning allows more people to come and spend their money.

riggerboy
18-Feb-13, 18:23
If caravans bother you this much when your driving why don't you take the train, or fly or plan your journeys at night, then you wouldn't be pestered by folk enjoying the lifestyle they have chosen,

MerlinScot
18-Feb-13, 19:34
Why do you think I refer to only Caithness, it,s caravaning in general I,m refering to. Also if the tourists did,nt have a caravan they would be staying in a B and B.As Flynn replied to you, you should think that they wouldn't stay in a B&b anyway, they would just give up coming to Caithness, period. Once you don't allow people to choose the accommodation they like... They would just change the destination, period.

Rheghead
18-Feb-13, 19:48
You'd wonder why caravanners would want to visit us knowing how unfriendly and impatient we can be sometimes.

Gronnuck
18-Feb-13, 20:23

Once you've acquired your caravan the overnight stops work out considerably cheaper than staying at a B&B. This enables you to stay away longer, see more of the local area and spend more enjoying local attractions including restaurants and pubs.

You'd wonder why caravanners would want to visit us knowing how unfriendly and impatient we can be sometimes.

On my visits to the far north I met nothing but kindness and consideration; one of the reasons I gave up caravanning and settled here. Having spent twenty years in the central belt I can testify that nowadays unfriendliness and impatience are a growth industry.

MerlinScot
18-Feb-13, 20:48

I think that has spread anywhere Reghead so caravanners won't make a difference between here and elsewhere.....

gaza
19-Feb-13, 22:13
To own a caravan is a JOY, we can go north, west, south, or east, every weekend if we want to, then in the summer go where and when we want, no rushing to the air port or train to find them delayed or cancelled, then be given a manky hotel room. NO STRESS for us (except the old div driving his jag at 50mph behind another old div and doesn't bother overtaking causing a big tall back) but it dont bother us we'll just pull over, let ya all past and have a cup of tea. we'll get there when we get there, and when we get there are room is clean are food is fresh are beer is cold, no complaints, and if the weather's bad, we just move on man, NO STRESS. unfortunately there are though's who think they own the roads and layby's, but just treat them with the contempt they deserve IT DONT BOTHER ME MAN........no stress......... but i also drive an 850cc motor bike -- ha -- they still dont bother me.

BRIE
20-Feb-13, 11:11

Im English too but ive found this thread hilarious! :lol:

luskentyre
21-Feb-13, 00:16
rubber necking caravanners 5 or 6 ahead of an ambulance........ perhaps,, who knows specially if their foreign ??

Well you're just being preposterous now.

It's bad enough owning a caravan, but to be FOREIGN as well? Some people truly have no decency do they?

In my experience caravans are no worse than lorries or ordinary drivers that choose to drive slowly. In fact they're usually more courteous.

jacko
22-Feb-13, 22:28
your misinterpreting me there, i find nothing wrong with foreign visitors to our country, i welcome them . what i meant was (and ive seen it often) 5 or 6 motor homes and vans travelling together close coupled so as to not get separated while rubber necking the sights, thus not allowing faster traffic to overtake .
might not see an emergency vehicle that far back . im not that bothered myself as im not that often on the road these day,s , but i still think that caravanners should take some kind of competence test . ive seen caravanners that just cant reverse , im not saying their all like that but i have seen some of them . and some of the antic s have left me scratching my head , ive seen some cut a corner and near de,wheel the towed vehicle.i was a proffessional hgv driver and we do leave spaces between us and we will indicate where it s safe to allow overtaking and the majority of us will pull in to allow traffic flow .

Oddquine
23-Feb-13, 01:45
I don't drive, for which those who do should be very grateful, given I can't differentiate between left and right, can't judge distances and panic if I have to go over 10 mph, (have tried the driving....and realised my limitations) but I can....to an extent...see where piratelassie is coming from, as I tend to sit in the passenger seat of cars driven by drivers....and crap myself regularly.

And that is because of the impatience of local drivers, who are trying to get somewhere within a specific time frame....to get to work or an appointment, or even to fulfill their own internal decisions as how they are going to divide their day. Nobody ever seems to allow for other people NOT giving a toss about anything bar their own needs, just as the average local driver doesn't give a toss about the reasons other local traffic feel they have to be on the head of the road at a time which suits them. It's not just caravans or HGVs...or tourists looking around at the scenery from inside their car while driving at slightly more than the average speed of a fast walker......it is also local tractors from local farms, and the bloke next door, particularly if he is getting on, his eyesight is not what it should be and he is not prepared to give up his licence if he isn't forced to, driving at the speed of a guide dog walking, buses which are inconsiderate enough to stop unexpectedly.....or just tourists who, in their home countries don't have the concept of "passing places" as not being somewhere to stop, hop out and take photos etc.

Given Caithness has a worse than crap road system, and the average non-Caithness/Highland tourist driver has probably never coped with such a crap system in their lifetimes, why would anyone expect that people coming to the Highlands from elsewhere with a decent road set-up would understand the purpose of laybys and passing places?

What gets me more, as a car passenger, is the fact that local drivers take little notice of local conditions. I have spent a lot of time sitting beside drivers who do frankly road rage irrational because of being behind tractors, buses, HGVs etc holding them up....even if they had no requirement to get anywhere within a set time frame.

I learned decades ago, furth of Caithness, that if I was going to Aberdeen for a hospital appointment I had to make my driver set out at least an hour ahead of the last time we could have, timewise, to compensate for the fact that there would undoubtedly be tractors, caravans, buses and tourists on the road which could hold us up. So why do Caithness drivers not predicate their "revving up the car and setting off", with the idea "that I will arrive when other road users allow me to arrive...and it is up to me to cope with those other road users and not expect them to accommodate me".

Don't think caravans should be banned...though taxing them might reduce the numbers...but if we are going to ban everything drivers consider irritations we are going to be fecked..because NO driver thinks any other driver is as good as they are!

Flynn
23-Feb-13, 09:51
Don't think caravans should be banned...though taxing them might reduce the numbers...

But what would a caravan be taxed for?

jacko
23-Feb-13, 10:50
Given Caithness has a worse than crap road system, and the average non-Caithness/Highland tourist driver has probably never coped with such a crap system in their lifetimes, why would anyone expect that people coming to the Highlands from elsewhere with a decent road set-up would understand the purpose of laybys and passing places?

if they dont understand road conditions and the purpose of road layout s passing places and layby s then they should nt be on the road untill they do .
that s the law.

Flynn
23-Feb-13, 11:45

if they dont understand road conditions and the purpose of road layout s passing places and layby s then they should nt be on the road untill they do .
that s the law.

Most of the UK has single-track lanes with passing places and lay-bys. As for crap road systems, try driving in London.

joxville
23-Feb-13, 12:11
You don't drive in London, you crawl. That's the result of successive governments making it the centre of the universe.

Flynn
23-Feb-13, 12:46
You don't drive in London, you crawl. That's the result of successive governments making it the centre of the universe.

To be honest there's no need to own a car in London. The tube, the buses, bicycles, even walking. They're all quicker and easier ways to get around than the private car.

jacko
23-Feb-13, 18:03
wonder what it d be like towing a caravan right through piccadilly circus [lol]:lol::cool: specially if they cant reverse.

Dadie
24-Feb-13, 00:08
In the middle of Piccadilly circus decide you cant cope and uncouple said caravan and abandon it!
Go on your merry way....phone police a few hrs after to say the caravan was nicked and collect it from a lockup no where near piccadilly ...simples!

neilsermk1
25-Feb-13, 13:37
I take it you have never been stuck behind a Stevens, or Tesco lorry then.

neilsermk1
25-Feb-13, 13:38
Well said Gaza, my other caravan is a CBR1000. :lol:
To own a caravan is a JOY, we can go north, west, south, or east, every weekend if we want to, then in the summer go where and when we want, no rushing to the air port or train to find them delayed or cancelled, then be given a manky hotel room. NO STRESS for us (except the old div driving his jag at 50mph behind another old div and doesn't bother overtaking causing a big tall back) but it dont bother us we'll just pull over, let ya all past and have a cup of tea. we'll get there when we get there, and when we get there are room is clean are food is fresh are beer is cold, no complaints, and if the weather's bad, we just move on man, NO STRESS. unfortunately there are though's who think they own the roads and layby's, but just treat them with the contempt they deserve IT DONT BOTHER ME MAN........no stress......... but i also drive an 850cc motor bike -- ha -- they still dont bother me.

2little2late
26-Feb-13, 00:58

I could not agree more. I was travelling from Tain to Brora on Monday24th Feb, and all the way from The Trentham to Brora (at least) there was a queue of traffic behind 2 huge cranes travelling at 35 mph. The least they could gave done was stopped in the layby at the mound and let the queue pass. I find this kind of attitude very inconsiderate. So before you go harping on about caravans think about all the other slow vehicles holding traffic up. So, piratelassie if you don't like being held up behind them, keep off the road yourself!