PDA

View Full Version : Voter Apathy? Who Cares?

M Swanson
15-Feb-13, 08:12
For years it's been said, that too many voters are no longer interested in the ballot box and I can't argue with that. But, I do question that it's all to do with "apathy." I think it has more to do with so many of us not being able to see where one party stops and another begins. We're not exactly spoilt for choice, when there seems to be so many common policies being pursued by all. Except the far left and right, lunatic factions, of course. Could this explain why a party such as UKIP is becoming more attractive to voters? Do you even care? :confused Or have we been shafted, good time?

ducati
15-Feb-13, 09:58
We have became a nation of whingers and blamers. If you don't like your life, blame someone else. You have no right to moan if you don't try to influence events.

Political parties are less seperate in their outlook. That is natural, if it is sensible, then all sensible people will advocate it. We no longer have the looney left and the ultra right (not that I believe we ever did) so the lines are more fuzzy.

No excuse for gross incompetence though Blair and Brown.

Phill
15-Feb-13, 10:43
Apparently George Galloway has literally hundreds of thousands of twitter followers that are very switched politically, some have a better grasp of political issues than he has. :eek:

golach
15-Feb-13, 10:50
Apparently George Galloway has literally hundreds of thousands of twitter followers that are very switched politically, some have a better grasp of political issues than he has. :eek:

I burst out laughing on hearing him utter that last night,

squidge
15-Feb-13, 10:55
I care,my husband cares, my children care, most of my friends care.

Phill
15-Feb-13, 10:56
For years it's been said, that too many voters are no longer interested in the ballot box and I can't argue with that. But, I do question that it's all to do with "apathy." I think it has more to do with so many of us not being able to see where one party stops and another begins. We're not exactly spoilt for choice, when there seems to be so many common policies being pursued by all. Except the far left and right, lunatic factions, of course. Could this explain why a party such as UKIP is becoming more attractive to voters? Do you even care? :confused Or have we been shafted, good time?

That is where the apathy is coming from. So may people are of the opinion it doesn't matter who we vote in, the country gets screwed over and the taxpayer more so, so why bother.

And when you look at the front benches you've just got a load of old etonian / public skule, politically educated, family wealthy social retards who are in such a thick bubble they cannot relate to the electorate nor can the electorate relate to them. You could literally shuffle them like a deck of cards and deal them out into 3 random parties and no one would know the difference.

Dribbleband is trying to tell us now he's leading a Labour party of the working people and is going to introduce mansion tax so all us plebs get an extra 70p a week. That is after he, his less dribbleyband brother and their parents have carved up the family home into separate residences so as to avoid a wagon load of taxes. Oh, lets not forget he only got married under pressure, he and his Mrs Dribbleband were financially far better off tax wise previously as a separate un-married couple.

So he's not really much different to CMD in background and attitude, so why bother voting between them?

Phill
15-Feb-13, 10:58
I burst out laughing on hearing him utter that last night,I think if he only had 3 followers and they were of nursery age they'd have a better political grasp than him.

He's just like Farage, good entertainment for 10 minutes but both empty vessels.

Rheghead
15-Feb-13, 11:48
I think part of the public apathy comes from how politics is now presented. It has become more of a circus or even a zoo where personalities are more important than policy, where promoting entertainment is a bigger than protecting the environment or enterprise.

When politicians become the tv stars then we are totally lost. The world in which we live has become the tv, the pigeon hole with a view upon the world. Once a upon a time we felt connected with politics, we voted and sent a person to Westminster a person who we thought could best represent us. He was well meaning, a person who entered public life who genuinely thought could make a heartfelt change for the better. Now, politics is considered to be a career move, or in our case, John Thurso, a fulfilment of a family legacy. People don't feel in charge anymore.

tonkatojo
15-Feb-13, 13:21

He certainly has in Bradford, he even dresses similar to his voters now I see, it beggars belief how gullible some are. But fair play he had that tory woman fair rattled last night there almost was steam appearing from her LOL.