PDA

View Full Version : Meat scandal joking apart

billmoseley
14-Feb-13, 19:49
We have all heard and told all the meat jokes but maybe there is a bigger scandal going on here. We have been eating horse it would seem for sometime now with no ill affects and enjoying it. A few weeks ago this hit the head lines and all stocks were withdrawn. My question is have they all been destroyed and if so why? Surely homeless and hard up people would have benefited from these. OK take samples to make sure they are fit for human consumption but why waste it? I bet if they were on sale cheap in a supermarket people would still buy them

Kodiak
14-Feb-13, 21:23
We have all heard and told all the meat jokes but maybe there is a bigger scandal going on here. We have been eating horse it would seem for sometime now with no ill affects and enjoying it. A few weeks ago this hit the head lines and all stocks were withdrawn. My question is have they all been destroyed and if so why? Surely homeless and hard up people would have benefited from these. OK take samples to make sure they are fit for human consumption but why waste it? I bet if they were on sale cheap in a supermarket people would still buy them

Interesting, therefore what you are saying is that meat which the majority of people would not touch, should be sold or given to the Homeless or the poor.

MerlinScot
14-Feb-13, 21:32
Interesting, therefore what you are saying is that meat which the majority of people would not touch, should be sold or given to the Homeless or the poor.It's horse meat Kodiak, not leftover. The main problem is the lie behind it, not the horse meat in itself which is perfectly edible.

My mum even used to buy it on purpose when I was a child because my blood was poor, horse meat is quite rich in iron and proteins.

Billy, I partially agree with you, because that stuff would be bought as beef, even on sale. So is it right to put it back where it was - even at halfprice?

Kodiak
14-Feb-13, 21:39
It's horse meat Kodiak, not leftover. The main problem is the lie behind it, not the horse meat in itself which is perfectly edible.

My mum even used to buy it on purpose when I was a child because my blood was poor, horse meat is quite rich in iron and proteins.

Billy, I partially agree with you, because that stuff would be bought as beef, even on sale. So is it right to put it back where it was - even at halfprice?

I know it is Horse Meat, I still say that the Majority of people would not want to touch it let alone eat it. So why should the Homeless and the Poor have eat it when most people will not no matter how cheap it is.

Alrock
14-Feb-13, 21:58
...Billy, I partially agree with you, because that stuff would be bought as beef, even on sale. So is it right to put it back where it was - even at halfprice?

They could just stickers on it with new information. I myself never bought them to start with but I do know one person who is a bit miffed that he can't get his Tesco value burgers anymore.

Moira
15-Feb-13, 01:32
Meantime, the previous BSE lessons go unlearned......

Aaldtimer
15-Feb-13, 04:03
It's horse meat Kodiak, not leftover. The main problem is the lie behind it, not the horse meat in itself which is perfectly edible.

I would be interested to know where your mother could access horse meat in UK!:confused

newweecroft
15-Feb-13, 11:49
There are culls of wild ponies in the UK, but for the most part these animals will be pets who have gone on to homes that turned out not to be 'forever homes'.

It lies in the principle. It would be like rehoming your dog to a really nice Philippine family who then turn out to own a takeaway and Rover meats an in pleasant end.

None of us can secure the future of an animal we find ourselves unable to afford or care for anymore but does that mean it should be fed to the poor and needy?
If the answer is yes, I hope you don't mind the shelters doing the same with all the dogs and cats, I'm sure many of the poor and needy are from countries who freely consume these meats.

tonkatojo
15-Feb-13, 13:13
I know it is Horse Meat, I still say that the Majority of people would not want to touch it let alone eat it. So why should the Homeless and the Poor have eat it when most people will not no matter how cheap it is.

It looks like the "poor and homeless" and others have been eating it, the question is for how long, my guess is years, I don't believe it was just this past month or so.

billy5000
15-Feb-13, 15:39
Its the bute that bothers people and so it should!
If they could garantee us the bute wasnt present then id hazard a guess that people would be fine with it!

Id eat it!, i did eat allot of the tesco value burgers in my sandwiches (4per)as they are thin and on thier own have no taste,but wack 4 together and you get a meat flavour (of sorts)

Id draw the line at dogs or cats/badgers/foxes etc etc but saying that ive eaten grey squirrels ALLOT and many rabbits in my past and even a blue tit!!(yeh alittle pointless i know)ive got a nice road kill deer in the freezer which il get out soon(yum!!

Its the veil of truth thats been hung over the meat thats really annoying,when i buy beef i expect beef,otherwise id expect it to be cheaper than it was.
Tesco even had the nerve to raise the price of meat during the last 6 months!!!

They must have been laughing at us all!...

The problem may not be the supermarkets, as it most likly lays with the slaughter houses selling horse at beef prices, then letting the supermarkets believe its beef and having the slaughter houses laughing to the bank..
But what SHOULD have been done was a little thing called QUALITY CONTROL and that means testing the meat for purity!! not just checking the packets not damaged!

Kodiak
15-Feb-13, 15:48
List of the seven contaminated Products found to date:-

Aldi - Today special frozen lasagne.
Aldi - Today special frozen spaghetti bolognese.
Co-op - Beef burger quarter pounder.
Findus - Beef lasagne 320g, 360g, 500g.
Rangeland - Range of catering products.
Tesco - Everyday value frozen burger.
Tesco - Everyday value spaghetti bolognese.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-02-15/the-seven-contaminated-products/

MerlinScot
15-Feb-13, 17:41
I would be interested to know where your mother could access horse meat in UK!:confusedBecause my mum doesn't live in Uk, that simple....Kodiak, in other countries it is normal to eat horse meat, although not every day or even every month of course!Given that the scandal hit 13 countries, other poor people wouldn't make that difference at all.For instance, before arriving to Scotland eating lamb was disgusting to me because we don't eat lambs and I still avoid to, if possible.To each his own ;)

cptdodger
15-Feb-13, 18:02
And that is the whole issue - choice. I moved up here from a city four years ago, and the one thing I love doing now, is going to look at the lambs when they are born, to me they are the cutest things. I made a choice back then not to eat lamb again, so I have'nt. I would never knowingly eat horse, venison, rabbit and so on, but that is my choice not to do so. It might be perfectly safe, as Merlin Scot says to eat horse, but that is not the point. In this day and age we should know what we are eating.

billmoseley
15-Feb-13, 18:59
I know it is Horse Meat, I still say that the Majority of people would not want to touch it let alone eat it. So why should the Homeless and the Poor have eat it when most people will not no matter how cheap it is. It wasn't mean't as a slight to the poor and homeless it was just an example i have been both in the past and would have gone for it like a shot

MerlinScot
15-Feb-13, 21:50
In this day and age we should know what we are eating.I absolutely agree with you cptdodger. The problem is the lie behind it, not what was inside (which, by the way, wasn't nly horse meat.....)

badger
15-Feb-13, 21:51
I've been wondering what they are doing with all this food that is being withdrawn because if it's being thrown away when so many can't afford meat that seems a terrible waste. I see no reason why it should not be offered for sale so long as it can be guaranteed free of bute and correctly labelled. If horse meat is fit to eat, why not eat it? Pigs are very intelligent animals but many people are happy to eat them. I don't know why we have to import meat but I suppose that's EU rules. If we only ate British meat there would be more chance of it being what it says on the label and the animals having a cruelty free life.

newweecroft
15-Feb-13, 22:09
But badger pigs are not pets, they have not been raised, trained, loved. its not about the intelligence its that they were someone's pet. My analogy to rescue centres offering dogs to poor immigrants is a far better fit than an observation of iq levels.

Dadie
15-Feb-13, 23:58
If it wasnt for the Bute that might be present they could probably relabel it as "meat from undetermined sources" ...but as it could be contaminated with an ingredient that is harmful to humans because they do do not know the meat sources, it will be classed as unfit for consumption.

Alrock
16-Feb-13, 01:53
None of us can secure the future of an animal we find ourselves unable to afford or care for anymore but does that mean it should be fed to the poor and needy?
If the answer is yes, I hope you don't mind the shelters doing the same with all the dogs and cats, I'm sure many of the poor and needy are from countries who freely consume these meats.

I say Yes...
Meat is meat, does it really matter where it comes from?
If it's fit for human consumption then is it not better to consume it rather than just letting it rot, especially when there are so many people in this world going hungry.

newweecroft
16-Feb-13, 12:36
I say Yes... Meat is meat, does it really matter where it comes from?If it's fit for human consumption then is it not better to consume it rather than just letting it rot, especially when there are so many people in this world going hungry.That's fair, if you are happy to apply the principle across the board. I think few will feel the same but fair is fair.

Rheghead
16-Feb-13, 12:41
Has anyone watched Gloria Hunniford's TV series on food labelling? If you have then you'll know only too well what food manufacturers get up to. They certainly twist the description on the packet.

Kevin Milkins
16-Feb-13, 15:17
Has anyone watched Gloria Hunniford's TV series on food labelling? If you have then you'll know only too well what food manufacturers get up to. They certainly twist the description on the packet.

I have no issue with anyone that chose to eat horse, but twisting the truth and telling outright lies are two different things.

If I buy a beefburger or a beef lasagna, the very least you would expect is for the main ingredient to be beef, not horse. (especially if it doesn't say horse on the packet)

billmoseley
16-Feb-13, 18:00
I do feel that the supermarkets are not to blame. They took it on trust that what they were buying was beef as have the public. Some one some where has made a lot of money from this and i suspect it's not just 1 set of criminals

secrets in symmetry
16-Feb-13, 23:54
The supermarkets are jockeying for position in the new post-equine age.