PDA

View Full Version : whinning pup

zarapopet
14-Feb-13, 17:51
any suggestions on how to stop pup whining and barking all nght .
tried putting my jumper in cage with toys ticking clock also have a mirror at side of cage he crys fron 11pn till 7am none stop driving me nuts now as thats been 6 nghts thought hed be used to cage by now. help

111heather
14-Feb-13, 19:02
try letten it out the cage or put a cover over it an leave one side open

Commore
14-Feb-13, 19:04
Dump the cage.

zarapopet
14-Feb-13, 19:46
need cage as work nght shift and he already chewed cable when left the door open

111heather
14-Feb-13, 19:49
try puten cover over cage see how that works

Gronnuck
14-Feb-13, 20:48
Dogs are pack animals, you're the leader of the pack, the pup wants to be with you - not locked away.

Strathan
14-Feb-13, 21:24
11 til 7's an awful long time for a wee pup. our pup's 9months and he's only managing 8hours now and needs out for toilet. How olds the pup? If its very young it will need out every 3-4hours for toilet. Has it had a enough exercise if you work nights it can be hard to get them out enough through the day - done nights myself found it hard going with the dogs. Is the room quiet, drafty, too cold, too hot, etc. do not have pup in room with you if sleeping in cage he'll just get upset trying to get to you. Check for any funny noises or light in the room could be unsettling him. Even now if I get up to loo in the night Hugo whines to get out as long as he gets a pee then back in he settles fine. I also found a chew was good as if Hugo's not sleepy he just has a chew on it. But not every dog settles to a cage our other dog who's now 7 was terrible in a cage as a pup so we just took him to bed with us even now if he goes into Hugo's cage for a toy he won't put all his feet in and is very quick. He just hates them, your fellow could be like that. Good luck

zarapopet
14-Feb-13, 21:52
have tried all that even if he isnt in his cage he whines ,he is out a lot in the garden running and playing with the ball so hes getting plenty of exercise he used to sleep in a cage on his own befor i got him so he is used to sleeping in it thats why went out and bought one keep him to his normal routeen . was just wanting any other suggestions thanks

Iffy
14-Feb-13, 22:22
Maybe try leaving the radio/CD on very low, on a channel/continuous sound which emits comforting sounds?

M Swanson
15-Feb-13, 08:46
I never believed in cages, until my second cocker arrived and the cage came with him. He loved it and was very comfortable using it. I left the side door open so he could come in and out, at will ..... I never used it as a punishment and he chose to spend most of his sleeping time in it. He outgrew the need after he was about a year old. Pups love company and perhaps he's cold at night? I've never left my dogs alone for more than four hours, but I'm very fortunate to have good neighbours, who I may need to call on now and again, to give them a little time if I overshoot. It's very possible that your wee one may settle into a routine, but it won't come easy for you, or the pup. I always leave the tv on, when I go out at night. I hope you find a solution. Not easy!

Southern-Gal
15-Feb-13, 14:05
What breed is he?
Some breeds suffer more with separation anxiety than others.

nicnak
16-Feb-13, 10:53
I know this might sound daft because it never occured to me till we got our staffie , but is it cold, we laughed when someone suggested this to us but we thought what the heck and bought her a wooly jumper type thingy and hey presto quiet! when you think about it pups snuggle up with their sibblings and mum and keep snuggly all night then we stick em in a cage on their own lol just an idea that proved valuable to us, hope it helps x