PDA

View Full Version : Very Severe Weather?

rfr10
03-Jan-07, 21:18
Noticing that severe snow storms are predicted from the 10th of Janurary in most parts of the UK.. do we think this is correct or just another story like they say every year about being the worst winter in so many years?

DarkAngel
03-Jan-07, 21:21
Yay..I love the snow..Although now i live out in the country i better hope its not severe!!

Well we never got any snow in December so saving it all up for Jan/Feb..:D

North Rhins
03-Jan-07, 21:25
They probably mean that a 2mm snow shower is due somewhere in the ‘home’ counties. There will no doubt be panic buying and a run on the stock exchange. They can’t possibly mean anywhere north of Watford.

sjr014
03-Jan-07, 21:48
Hopefully not as im going to Stirling on the 12th x

Errogie
03-Jan-07, 22:00
Better rush out and buy that 4 by 4 it could last for all of 24 hours!

JAWS
03-Jan-07, 22:28
They probably mean that a 2mm snow shower is due somewhere in the ‘home’ counties. There will no doubt be panic buying and a run on the stock exchange. They can’t possibly mean anywhere north of Watford. You could well be right there. A couple of winters ago there was much fuss for about a week about horrific storms being due and moving north up the whole country. the nearer the time came the more strident the warnings became. I waited and I waited full of anticipation. I made arrangements with all the neighbours that if my roof blew off if they knew where it landed they would let me know. I nailed the dogs feet to the floor in case they blew away, I even made sure I had a "Safe Room" in case tha walls fell down.

The time came, my anticipation grew, I waited wondering when it was going to begin, perhaps they had got the time a little wrong, I waited further.

"The horrific weather has cleared the north of Country and will shortly be to the North of the Shetlands!"
What? All that panic? It hardly rated being called a strong wind by Caithness standards let alone a storm.
I do have it on good authority that two flags fluttered in London and there was a severe case of flatulence on the Met Office Roof.

mr do dar
03-Jan-07, 23:33
well tugmistress are we getting the bad weather what everyones going on about ? your the best person to ask ;)

gollach
03-Jan-07, 23:38
Noticing that severe snow storms are predicted from the 10th of Janurary in most parts of the UK.. do we think this is correct or just another story like they say every year about being the worst winter in so many years?

Looking for a snow day already, Robin?

rfr10
04-Jan-07, 00:49
Looking for a snow day already, Robin?

What? Me? Neverrrr........

Tugmistress
04-Jan-07, 15:10
well tugmistress are we getting the bad weather what everyones going on about ? your the best person to ask ;)

From what I can see at the moment it's a load of tosh! there may be a splattering on the west coast up to Cape Wrath and across the mountains south of Inverness (what are that range actually called?). If we get any at all I will be surprised - the dam lines are just not far enough south and upper air temps are too warm.[evil]

cuddlepop
04-Jan-07, 15:12
Noticed the snow warning too for next week.It'll probably come as the kids go back monday:lol:
Noticed plants and trees are starting to bud up,this cold snap if it comes will kill this growth off and put everything back just like last year.
There's yellow on the broom over here too:confused

Venture
04-Jan-07, 17:17
I read it too on Metcheck predicting snow and very strong winds from Wednesday onwards with temperatures feeling as low as -6c. Whether it happens or not thats a diferent story.

quirbal
04-Jan-07, 20:00
yeah im hoping that we get some good snow:lol:

peedie man
05-Jan-07, 21:24
This is the latest from the Fair Isle weather site
WEDNESDAY 10th – MONDAY 15th: Much colder with strong to gale W or NW’ly winds and frequent wintry showers. There is the risk of significant accumulations of drifting snow over high ground, with some lying snow at times even at lower levels

rfr10
05-Jan-07, 21:49
This is the latest from the Fair Isle weather site
WEDNESDAY 10th – MONDAY 15th: Much colder with strong to gale W or NW’ly winds and frequent wintry showers. There is the risk of significant accumulations of drifting snow over high ground, with some lying snow at times even at lower levels

Please please snow, need to get a day off school!!

Alice in Blunderland
05-Jan-07, 21:56
Please please snow, need to get a day off school!!

mmmm have you not just had two weeks off school or did you attend during the holidays :confused or were my kids having me on that the school was on holiday if so they are in deep doo doo :D

rfr10
05-Jan-07, 22:05
mmmm have you not just had two weeks off school or did you attend during the holidays :confused or were my kids having me on that the school was on holiday if so they are in deep doo doo

Two weeks isn't enough!! :D

Piglet
05-Jan-07, 22:08

2 weeks is enough when your a parent lol[lol]

Errogie
05-Jan-07, 22:19
Tugmistress, the hills to the south are my neighbours the Monadhliaths or Grey Mountains, next stop Strathspey and the Cairngorms although there's a difference of opinion as to whether they should be the blue or red ones (Monadhruadh).

Not much sign of the weather getting seriously colder and for any snow to lie for more than 24 hours it usually has to make a "bed" for itself.

Tugmistress
05-Jan-07, 22:42
Thanks Errogie :D
it still doesn't look like anything to write home about at the moment, we are just too warm and the ground wont loose enough heat for anything brief to stay around.

Kenn
05-Jan-07, 23:44
I'm holding you to that forecast Tugmistress as I DO not want to be shoveling my way north next week .
When we are safely ensconced next to a roaring fire with good company it can do what it likes.(Not meant selfishly as I know well that others need to travel too.)
Well here's hoping, will be packing ALL the cameras

gollach
06-Jan-07, 01:39

Have you not realised yet that the Standard Grade exams are SOON?

Venture
06-Jan-07, 14:48
Well Robin you might get your wish. Just heard an announcement on Moray Firth Radio saying that ARCTIC conditions have been forecast for the middle of January with temperatures in the north of Scotland to be -12. Better get your long johns ready.

Woolie
06-Jan-07, 17:54
2 weeks is enough when your a parent lol[lol]
TWO DAYS IS ENOUGH SAT AND SUN LOL

rfr10
06-Jan-07, 18:41
Have you not realised yet that the Standard Grade exams are SOON?

That's not until May. A few days in Janurary won't make a difference besides even if we didn't get any days off because of snow, I'll still be off at least 4 times before the exams because I have a few meetings to go to. Everyone (except parents) wish for days off school so it's not just me.. even teachers do!! :D

rfr10
06-Jan-07, 18:44
Well Robin you might get your wish. Just heard an announcement on Moray Firth Radio saying that ARCTIC conditions have been forecast for the middle of January with temperatures in the north of Scotland to be -12. Better get your long johns ready.

Oh good!! Yeam that's what I saw in the paper. I think it said that snow will be drifting in from the North East (whether that means the NE of England or Scotland, I do not know) and that this will happen on the 10th of Janurary with weather getting to its worst on the 14th. But then... if Tugmistress is our weather forecaster, who's forecasting the arctic conditions at the north of Scotland? Is there a Wick weather station?

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-07, 18:46
I cant wait till the snow falls and neither can the kids. We bought dinghys in the summer for going on the loch and have decided they will make excellent sledges for going down the hill if we get enough snow :D .Not a bad buy for £3.99 getting plenty of use out of them all year round hopefully. :cool:

rfr10
06-Jan-07, 18:48
I cant wait till the snow falls and neither can the kids. We bought dinghys in the summer for going on the loch and have decided they will make excellent sledges for going down the hill if we get enough snow :D .Not a bad buy for £3.99 getting plenty of use out of them all year round hopefully. :cool:

Yea, sledging is great.. only thing is- I always get freezing cold feet and I do the stupid thing when I get home by puting them in hot water.. ahhhhh!!!!

rfr10
06-Jan-07, 18:51
Just checked out the Met office site and they don't have any bad weather forecast for Wednesday :S

Tugmistress
06-Jan-07, 20:29
Oh good!! Yeam that's what I saw in the paper. I think it said that snow will be drifting in from the North East (whether that means the NE of England or Scotland, I do not know) and that this will happen on the 10th of Janurary with weather getting to its worst on the 14th. But then... if Tugmistress is our weather forecaster, who's forecasting the arctic conditions at the north of Scotland? Is there a Wick weather station?

Well i still can't see where this idea of below freezing temps and snow and whatever other 'severe' weather they are forecasting is coming from :roll: and i still say it is a load of TOSH. The Atlantic is running our weather at the moment, and that means 'mild mush' to most.
As for another place to look for local stuff, try this site HERE (http://www.northisles-weather.co.uk/), he is very good :)

the most i can see if maybe a brief flurry on the 10th and again i will be surprised if it lays, let alone actually arrive.

A weather forecast can only be regarded as reliable within a 3 day limit, up to 5 days it MAY be reasonably reliable, anything over the 5 days there is just a chance it may happen like that but don't hold your breath.

changilass
06-Jan-07, 20:37
Thanks for that Tuggs, was getting worried, have a number of trips planned to inverness between now and the end of march:D

rfr10
07-Jan-07, 20:57
Well i still can't see where this idea of below freezing temps and snow and whatever other 'severe' weather they are forecasting is coming from :roll: and i still say it is a load of TOSH. The Atlantic is running our weather at the moment, and that means 'mild mush' to most.
As for another place to look for local stuff, try this site HERE (http://www.northisles-weather.co.uk/), he is very good :)

the most i can see if maybe a brief flurry on the 10th and again i will be surprised if it lays, let alone actually arrive.

A weather forecast can only be regarded as reliable within a 3 day limit, up to 5 days it MAY be reasonably reliable, anything over the 5 days there is just a chance it may happen like that but don't hold your breath.

I can't understand now why both MFR and the Daily Express have warned about this severe weather and yet both their weather services have no snow on forecast. All it said in the express is that we will be getting winds and snow from the Arctic on the 10th of January getting worse on the 14th I think and it said that they are 80% positive about their prediction and that it was the same man who predicted the very wet weather recently. Maybe it IS just a load of rubbish but if it is, hopefully something magic will happen and make it snow.. but maybe not for those travelling though.

changilass
07-Jan-07, 21:06
The gritters were out on the Castletown/Wick road at about 6.30pm, so someone is expecting a frost.

Still prefer Tuggs predictions:D

JAWS
09-Jan-07, 03:44
Seems like the warnings were so much Hot Air or should that be Warmer than Cold Air.

A check at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_forecast_weather.html says at the worst there might be a few flakes of snow but nothing to write home about. Unless anybody wants to sit on top of a Ben that is.

It looks like we are more likely to need nailing down than digging out! :D

Tugmistress
09-Jan-07, 19:40
Seems like the warnings were so much Hot Air or should that be Warmer than Cold Air.

A check at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_forecast_weather.html says at the worst there might be a few flakes of snow but nothing to write home about. Unless anybody wants to sit on top of a Ben that is.

It looks like we are more likely to need nailing down than digging out! :D

your comment about nailing us down is about right for wednesday night/thursday morning! expect a slight breeze of about 60mph for a time

brandy
09-Jan-07, 19:42
really high winds today on the way to inverness.. was doing about 40 going down the road.. wind blowing us everywhere!

young_fishin_neep
09-Jan-07, 19:49
That's not until May. A few days in Janurary won't make a difference besides even if we didn't get any days off because of snow, I'll still be off at least 4 times before the exams because I have a few meetings to go to. Everyone (except parents) wish for days off school so it's not just me.. even teachers do!!

yea but the prelims are this month :(:(

kaz xxxxxxx

rfr10
09-Jan-07, 20:07
yea but the prelims are this month :(

kaz xxxxxxx

Is that for higher or what? We did our prelims before the Christmas holidays thankfully all over :D

young_fishin_neep
09-Jan-07, 20:10
no for standard grade ours start next week :( everyone seems to have done them before xmas

kaz xx

rfr10
09-Jan-07, 20:12
no for standard grade ours start next week :( everyone seems to have done them before xmas

kaz xx

awwww :( . Well good luck to you!

young_fishin_neep
09-Jan-07, 20:15
need as much good luck as i can, cant seem to revise i just cant focus :( so gettin stressd lol

kaz xxxx

cuddlepop
09-Jan-07, 20:18
we had thunder and lightening lastnight,with torrential down pours.today there's been very strong winds with hail showers.occasionally the sun shown.so what's next?
i love tuggy's description of ;atlantic mush; its so apt.:lol:

rfr10
09-Jan-07, 20:19
need as much good luck as i can, cant seem to revise i just cant focus :( so gettin stressd lol

kaz xxxx

Lol. What we got told to do is rub the temples of your head or your ear lobes lol. We were all sitting doing that in PSE before the prelims... Not sure if it works though!

young_fishin_neep
09-Jan-07, 20:23
lol did u manage to keep ur concerntration,may have to try it nxt time i gna revise, thanx for the tip

kaz xxx

rfr10
09-Jan-07, 20:26
lol did u manage to keep ur concerntration,may have to try it nxt time i gna revise, thanx for the tip

kaz xxx

Not sure about concentration, we were just all laughing + looking stupid lol Can you imagine what an idiot you would look if you did that in an exam someone might think your a psycic person reading someones mind...

gollach
09-Jan-07, 21:22
We did our prelims before the Christmas holidays :D

How did you get on?

rfr10
09-Jan-07, 21:27
How did you get on?

As far as I remember:

Maths: grade 3 overall as we only sat the general paper
English: grade 2 overall
History: grade 4 overall (not good at history)
French: grade 4 overall (just a bad day)
Tech Studies: grade 2 overall
Computing: grade 2 overall (disappointed)
Music: grade 1 overall
Physics: grade 1 overall

gollach
10-Jan-07, 00:03
As far as I remember:

Maths: grade 3 overall as we only sat the general paper
English: grade 2 overall
History: grade 4 overall (not good at history)
French: grade 4 overall (just a bad day)
Tech Studies: grade 2 overall
Computing: grade 2 overall (disappointed)
Music: grade 1 overall
Physics: grade 1 overall

well done!

Lots of nerves here in Thurso as prelims start next week.......

young_fishin_neep
11-Jan-07, 18:12
well done!

Lots of nerves here in Thurso as prelims start next week.......

hmm dont i know it! got 2 on monday thankfully one ofmy better subjects

kaz xxx

Angela
11-Jan-07, 19:02
VERY wet and windy down here in Edinburgh.
But...there's a rosebud out in the back garden!

rfr10
11-Jan-07, 21:46
The Met Office are predicting heavy snow showers on the 15th! Maybe we will get some snow!